“Charming little B&B” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #22 of 29 Carmel B&B and Inns
Manchester, United Kingdom
“Charming little B&B”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2014

We only stayed here for one night as a stop-over on the way to Big Sur but wish we had more time here. It is very easy to find and the location is only a couple of minutes drive away from highway 1 and Ocean Avenue where you can find some nice places to eat.

We were recommended a place to have dinner nearby but unfortunately by the time we had unpacked our bags and had a (long) rest, it was past 9pm which is when most restaurants nearby close.

We stayed in room 11 which I think is one of the smallest, most basic within the B&B but it is just enough for our needs. At first we had difficultly finding our room (embarrassingly) because the way the rooms are positioned are around twists and turns across different pathways. This is by no means a negative thing though because it meant each block had a little secluded area to sit outside and enjoy a beverage if the weather was nice enough. You walk past pretty plants and flowers when getting to and from your room and the whole feeling just felt quaint and charming.
There was also a really cosy-looking public garden area for guests to enjoy!

Anyway, our room was really clean and modern with a queen bed. The bathroom was really nicely decorated.. very modern.
Our room was facing the car park and we didn't hear much traffic noise although the walls ARE rather thin so you will hear noises from people in the room above you walking around. This didn't bother us too much though as we are usually too tired by the time we go to sleep anyway!
Also... the other negative thing I could say is that they could have painted the walls a nice colour as everything else seemed well put together apart from the walls. Again... just a minor note that wouldn't stop us from staying again.

Self-serve breakfast in the morning is from 8am-10am. We loved our breakfast even though it was the basics! They had a few varieties of pastries, granola yogurt, hard boiled eggs, fresh fruit, orange juice, coffee and tea. Everything was nicely presented and simple. Even though all food items were cold, they were fresh and tasty. We even took some coffee and tea back to our room with us for our trip ahead.

Overall, I felt really relaxed staying here and could easily have stayed here for a few more days. I wish I had more time to explore the village area and Carmel itself but unfortunately Big Sur was our goal.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
VendangeGM, Manager at Vendange Carmel Inn & Suites, responded to this review, August 7, 2014
We are so happy that you enjoyed your stay with us from the decor to the beautiful gardens! We thank you for that wonderful review and we sincerely hope you visit us again.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
San Francisco, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2014

I stayed here on a weekend with my wife and we really enjoyed our stay. The rooms are nice and recently renovated. There is a wine and cheese reception in the evenings and a nice breakfast with fruit and nice pastries. We enjoyed the atmosphere of Vendange and the friendly service by Tom in the evenings. He gave us some great recommendations of restaurants in Carmel and good directions.

There is a nice fire pit in the center of the property. We sat out there in the evenings and made friends with other guests around the fire pit. The beds are really comfortable and I slept very well both nights. No issues with noise like how I have seen in some other reviews. We will be back.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Sacramento, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2014

I had high hopes for this Inn and was willing to overlook the older reviews from people who stayed on this property before it was under new management; however, that ended up being a poor choice.

My husband and I arrived at check-in time on a Friday, and I was eager to get to our room and take a nap. I had come down with a cold and needed a chance to rest before getting on with our other vacation plans. We were given our key to the Twisted Roots room, which was recommended by another traveler on TripAdvisor. We were dismayed to find that the room was perched on the upper story of a building that directly faced busy Carpenter Street. Even with the windows and doors closed, we could hear cars and trucks whizzing by quite loudly.

Worse than the noise, though, was the overwhelming chemical smell we were greeted with when we opened the door to our room. The odor was acrid and burned both my throat and my nose, despite my being quite stuffed up from my cold. We decided to try and make the most of it, so we opened all the windows and the front door to let the smell dissipate. We stayed in the room for about half an hour and then decided we should take a walk while we left the windows open to air the room, since the odor was overpowering. I opened a soap and washed my hands in the room's sink, which turned out to be a big mistake (for reasons soon to become apparent).

We returned from our walk about half an hour later; by this time, the room had been aired out for over an hour. The scent had not dissipated. My husband did some investigating and found the smell was strongest near the carpet, so our supposition is that the cleaning crew had used something rather strong on the floor. We decided we could no longer stand the smell nor continue to wait for the smell to dissipate in order to make our room usable. We went downstairs to ask to be moved to a different room.

The clerk's first question when we explained the issue was, "Did you use the room?" I explained I had used the soap but nothing else. He then apologetically explained that because we had "used the room" that we could not be offered a refund or cancellation of our stay. We found this patently ridiculous, considering that our "use" of the room could be fixed by replacement of the soap bar and a quick sanitizing of the sink; however, we felt ourselves to stuck between a rock and a hard place since we already paid for the room. The clerk also said we couldn't be moved to another room, since they had no vacancies (though my suspicion is that the answer would have been different if I had not admitted to using the soap; I have no proof, though, so take of this what you will).

My husband, trying to make the most of the situation, asked if a fan was available. The clerk said he did have one and that he would bring it upstairs. We returned to our room, and I sat on the couch. I began to cry from frustration. I was sick, the room stunk, and I couldn't rest. The clerk arrived at our open front door and said something to the effect that he could definitely smell the odor and that the staff had gone "overboard" with whatever they used. He was standing about three feet away from the room when he said that, so imagine how strong the smell was inside!

He apologized again for the odor and indicated he'd let the management and the housekeeping staff know. I appreciated his apology, but it didn't do us much good in terms of being able to use our not-inexpensive room. We stuck it out for about another 10 minutes with the fan blowing, all windows open, and the door flung open; however, it was a lost cause. We packed up our stuff and decided we would be leaving, regardless of whether or not we would be given a refund.

We explained to the clerk that we were leaving, and he got on the phone to ask his manager if we would be offered a refund. The answer was, "No." We indicated we would be disputing the charge with our credit card company, as the room was unusable as provided. The clerk was again very apologetic but said there was nothing he could do. We left and went to another property at which we had previously stayed (the Carmel Garden Inn), which had a cancellation that evening. See my review of that Inn for a completely opposite experience.

We did end up disputing the charge with our credit card company, and its investigation of the issue resulted in having the charge removed completely from our account. Never have we had such a terrible experience during any of our 100+ stays at hotels, inns, and B&Bs throughout California. Lesson learned: Don't stay one minute in a room that isn't acceptable when you open the door.

Room Tip: Make sure to ask if your room is in a building along Carpenter Street. It's the truck route thro...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
VendangeGM, Manager at Vendange Carmel Inn & Suites, responded to this review, February 26, 2014
We are so sorry about the troubles you experienced on your visit with us. We would love the opportunity to speak with you directly and sincerely hope you will contact me at Vendange at 831-624-6400. Again, our apologies and we look forward to speaking with you soon.
Irvine, Ca
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 11, 2014

Vendange is nice place to stay and a good location. Service is great and complementary breakfast is adequate.

Q: How far is Vendange Carmel Inn located from Ocean Ave?
A: About a 5 min scenic drive. Homes in the area are beautiful. Still a drive though. If you want to walk there, 20 mins + and lots of hills.

Q: What was the best part of Vendange?
A: Clean, quiet and good service. Go for a walk around the area in the morning (7am-8am). Amazing!

Q: What was the worst part of Vendange?
A: Bed and pillows were not comfortable and caused us to not sleep well.

Q: Do they charge for kids?
A: Yes, Vendange charges for kids above 1 year old. We did not know this as we stayed in 4 hotels over the past few days and not one charged us for our 4 year old. 20 bucks extra, not a big deal in the long run.

Q: Best part of the room?
A: We stayed in Cima Collina. Very nice decor and modern. Has a balcony (overlooks parking lot but still nice).

Q: Worst part of the room?
A: cobwebs in a couple of areas and shower was weak.

Overall a bit pricey but you pay for the cleanliness, service and beautiful surroundings.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2014

This is a lovely quiet hotel in Carmel! Extremely good value for money in this area. The rooms are clean and cozy with a spacious bathroom. Staff at the reception were very helpful and provided us with recommendations on what to do in the area...17 mile drive was amazing! Free internet, parking and breakfast included. Would definitely stay here again in the future.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Sebastopol, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2014

We stayed here the first weekend of January 2014 in the standalone cottage. My initial impression was exceeded upon drive-in. The internet pix don't do the place justice. The property is meticulously landscaped, this coming from someone who has been gardening for 20+ years. The cottage is in the back of the property, very quiet and private entrance. We enjoyed the super comfy and cozy bed. I slept like a baby. The bathroom has a large Jacuzzi tub for two with jets which we used both days. We took advantage of the wine & cheese tasting in the cute Lobby, then moved to the fire pit. The breakfast included a traditional European-style buffet of granola, hard-boiled eggs, pastries, bagels, yogurt, fruit salad, and coffee/tea. The Inn is located .9 miles from Ocean Avenue which we found ideal as we are highly active people and need the walking opportunity. The walk into town took approximately 15 minutes and along the way we took advantage of gawking at all the incredibly cute homes. I would definitely stay here again in the cottage - great value for the 650 square feet of space.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Carmel, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 22, 2013

Arrived late at night but this place is easy to find. Greeted by a really helpful receptionist who gave me a lovely room-very clean and comfortable with a modern bathroom. Good continental breakfast. The only slight downside is noise from the road but that's just during the day; it was very peaceful through the night.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business

Been to Vendange Carmel Inn & Suites? Share your experiences!