“Nice little surprise” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #22 of 30 Carmel B&B and Inns
Los Angeles, California
“Nice little surprise”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2013

Can't complain. The place is small but well maintained.

The front staff (especially Tom, I think his name was) went above and beyond to make sure we were happy. Brought us a refrigerator. I think the only problem with the place is they're a little understaffed. The front desk has to do everything from serve breakfast to check people in, show them their room and bring items to the rooms. They really need one more staff person, but maybe that's why the price was more reasonable. The inn has also clearly been remodeled recently, which is very nice. Rooms were small but cute. Large flat screen tv on the wall too. I would give it 4 1/2 stars if yelp would allow that function. It's not walkable to downtown Carmel though but other than that, I would definitely go back.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple

49 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
Amherst, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2013

This is the perfect place to stay in Carmel if you want somewhere clean and nice but not overly expensive. It has been recently renovated and the new owners clearly are investing a lot in the property. The staff is wonderful and ready to assist with any matter. There is a fire pit out back that you can sit next to in comfortable seats. They host a happy hour every night with free wine, cheese, salami, and other homemade appetizers. The rooms are small but very clean and well appointed. It's about a 5 minute drive into town but that's the one downside, since it's a bit too far to walk. I don't know what people are talking about with it being noisy- we were in a room facing the street and it was perfectly quiet at night.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2013

We checked into Vendange after being unable to get into Yosemite due to the government shutdown. We decided to salvage the last days of our vacation by going to the coast and enjoying Monterey Bay's beautiful shoreline (amazing state where you can go from the mountains to the sea in 3 hours).

We were packed to stay in a cabin in the mountains with hiking gear and a cooler full of food, so this hotel wasn't really the right place for us since the king standard and king deluxe rooms we stated in were on the small side. However, it was all I could find in our price range at the last minute.

Tom and Rosieat the front desk were wonderful and made us feel welcome. The place is lovely and ideal for visitors who are looking for a nice place to stay with easy access to Hwy 1 and all the wonderful shops, beaches, and scenic drives of the Monterey Peninsula.

The room finishings were quality, the beds firm and comfortable, and the garden perfect. Some rooms overlook the garden, and even if yours doesn't everyone can enjoy it from the benches around a fireplace in the center of the garden. Anna's hummingbirds frequent the garden and were fun to watch.

Breakfast was a nice variety of granola, hard-boiled eggs, yogurt parfaits, French pastries, fruit, and bagels. The cream was French vanilla flavor, which we don't like, but it fit with the French-style decor.

The traffic noise in a room facing Carpenter was bothersome. We live in a rural setting and aren't used to that. We moved to a room facing away from the street that was much quieter.

We would recommend this nice boutique hotel.

Room Tip: Face the garden
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
VendangeGM, General Manager at Vendange Carmel Inn & Suites, responded to this review, October 22, 2013
Thank you so much for staying with us here at the Vendange Carmel Inn & Suites. I am glad to hear you enjoy bird watching and I am sorry to hear that the government shutdown has stopped your trip to Yosemite. I feel like it did bring you to this hidden gem and we are honored to have great guests as yourself to stay with us. Thank you for noticing our little humming birds that we have on our property. We actually have 3 that roam the gardens. They love our flowers and they love to roam the gardens. I am glad we were to find you a room that suited you and I hope Carmel was able to keep you busy.

Vendange Carmel Inn & Suites
São José dos Campos
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2013

Well located, not too expensive for Carmel standards, recently refurbished suites, calm neighborhood, peaceful with a very nice fruit garden. Weather was foggy almost everyday, and quite cold for a summer time, but city is beautiful, and the nearby reserve is worth visiting. Good place to relax and decompress.

Room Tip: get the renewed ones
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
VendangeGM, Manager at Vendange Carmel Inn & Suites, responded to this review, August 20, 2013
We are so happy you enjoyed your stay with us! The central coast does get a bit of fog during the summer months- beautiful autumn season though! We thank you for the great review and we hope you visit us again next time you are in Carmel.
Monterey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2013

I was here this saturday and they had a live band and right after check in I could hear the music in the beautiful courtyard fire pit and garden area. They have so many beautiful flowers that I love taking pictures when I am here. After seeing how well this renovation has taken place I was shocked and pleased to see that this was great and everything is just well done and in a more modern sense instead of an antique feeling like the rest of Carmel. I stayed in J.Lohr's room and I have to say this room was well done. I love the decor and I love how I have a balcony overlooking the garden and fire pit. The wine and cheese was amazing I love the wine's they serve and my bed was so comfortable my husband did not want to wake up in the morning. We are going to come back here and this is our new favorite place to stay. The customer service is always excellent as well as the breakfast in the morning. I really appreciate that the new owners did something different and made a change for the better. I will be back and recommend this place. The street noise was not an issue for us because I been in places in downtown, those places are busier and you will hear trucks unloading for restaurants and also hear the trash being picked up. So after many years we tried a new place and after this being our second time here I love every minute of it. Thank you Vendange for making this place a special place for my husband and I.

Room Tip: The best rooms are the King Suites and the King Deluxe rooms. Also if you can afford it the Cottage...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
VendangeGM, General Manager at Vendange Carmel Inn & Suites, responded to this review, August 1, 2013
Thank you for staying here at the Vendange Carmel. I am happy to hear that your experience here was great and I thank you for returning again. I hoped you like the band and I am glad you like our fabulous new rooms. Please come visit us soon.
Sunnyvale, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2013

I stayed in the king suite room it was the Joullian room overlooking the courtyard and fireplace. This room had a beautiful wine decor and was able to purchase wine only available at the winery which I found very nice. They had a pleasant wine and cheese and I took my wine with my husband to the fire pit and loved the fire and the music played by two gentlemen. The owners offered everyone blankets and poured wine. I liked how I didn't have to go out at night and had a great experience with other hotel guests here. My room was all new and bed was very comfortable. I read the reviews too and I do not know where these people stayed because I had a street side room, but a higher end room and I did not hear a thing. I will definitely come back her with my husband.

Room Tip: Get a king suite or king deluxe that has a balcony.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
VendangeGM, Manager at Vendange Carmel Inn & Suites, responded to this review, August 8, 2013
Thank you for the great review! We are so happy you enjoyed your visit with us- from the live band to the cozy fire! We sincerely hope you visit us again.
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2013 via mobile

I agree with other reviewers on here. Poor location. Out of town and right next to a busy road. With the walls being as thin as they are, you could here every vehicle passing at all hours of the night, not to mention the construction. The rooms were tiny and not air conditioned, which isn't a problem 90% of the year. No wifi and no cell service. Take a pass on this one.

• Stayed July 2013
Thank you for taking the time to review our property. We are sorry you did not enjoy your stay with us and we are happy to discuss your experience with you directly as we truly value your feedback and want all of our guests to have a pleasant, memorable stay at our unique property. We hope you will consider staying with us again.

Been to Vendange Carmel Inn & Suites? Share your experiences!