“OK to stay for one night” 3 of 5 stars

Vendange Carmel Inn & Suites
3.0 of 5 Bed and Breakfast   |   24815 Carpenter Street, Carmel, CA 93923   |
Ranked #22 of 28 Carmel B&B and Inns
Burnsville, NC
“OK to stay for one night”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2012

I booked this hotel through bookings.com which has a no cancellation policy.
It looked nice enough upon checking in and Nicholas, the young man at the front desk was most helpful.
However, before I could even wash my hands, I got a phone call informing me that there would be no water for at least an hour. I had planned to shower and picnic in the room but had to change plans and went out to eat. I asked about a discount and it was denied.
In the room I was in the head of the bed was located against the wall shared with the kitchen and poor isolation allowed me to follow entire conversations from the other side.
Located on the first floor the room was easy to access and the bathroom was clean thanks to the personal who not only works very hard during breakfast but also servicesthe rooms. Breakfast was adequate but from where I sat I could see dishes were being washed by hand, not very sanitary.
There was very little interaction with the other guests and the seating was not very comfortable: there was with only a few chairs around the table and other seats by coffee tables. The manager/owner? was present at the front desk. She was dressed for business but maybe is in the wrong one. She never interacted with the guests and when informed by one that the lids did not match the coffee cup to go, she sounded annoyed and said "well, that, all we have" and went back to sit.behind the desk. I ran a B&B for over 10 years and I wanted to apologize to the guest. She did not offer goodbye greetings either.I was told the place is under new management, there is definitely room for improvement.
The gardens are lovely but the picnic area is shabby.
Overall, I would not recommend this place to friends but if you are on a budget you might out up with some inconvenience.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
Oslo, Norway
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2012

Super cute kitsch place. The breakfast was so cute. They were playing supremes and other 60s girl groups while we had our fruit and coffee in the adorable lobby area. The rooms were shabby chic and lovely. We were pleasantly surprised!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Ware, Hertfordshire
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2012

Shame it doesn't look as good as the website photos as the room looked tired and the wallpaper was peeling in places. Could do with a redecoration as the gardens seemed well cared for. It was a shame as the layout of the hotel was interesting with seperate accomodation buildings and the location was handy to get to Monterey. We booked 1 night as we had a whale watching trip booked the next morning and had to leave for Monterey by 8am at the latest. When checking in the receptionist said the reception and breakfast did not open until 8am and they couldn't make an exception for us. We felt like we were inconveniencing them for the sake of just 15 minutes and, even though breakfast was included in the price, no offer of making us a take out/pack up was made.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Portland, Oregon
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2012

I knew i was spending the weekend in Carmel on business, so I decided to stay at the carmel crystal Inn due to their competitive prices and nice website. Upon checking in, I was greeted with a very warm welcome. The staff was friendly and helpful. They were always willing to give me good information, and always with a smile! I was informed of some very nice restaurants in the area, and ended up trying one out and it was amazing! best meal I had all weekend, by far.

The breakfast was fantastic. I was actually expecting much less, but the inn exceeded my expectations with fresh pastries made by a local bakery, eggs and very good yogurt! There was also a fruit salad and it was very fresh!

The rooms were the perfect size. Not too big, not too small. There was a very big flat screen tv and even a microwave and fridge! oh yeah, and a fireplace too! Needless to say I was satisfied. all for a fraction of what other hotels in town were charging.

I had an absolutely wonderful stay and i will definitely be back in the future.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
San Jose, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2012

My Sister & I spent two nights. Our RM #14 had black walls. We had to get assistance to start the fire place from Mgr. This alone needs to get reported to the Fire Dept. The lamp shades were cracked & broken. They did not even hook onto their stand. The Continental Breakfast is a JOKE. The reuse the fruit from the previous day. The baked pastries were old. I only wish I would have read the reviews. PLEASE DO NOT WASTE YOUR MONEY ON THIS PLACE.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family

Been to Vendange Carmel Inn & Suites? Share your experiences!