“Great Location” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #11 of 22 Hotels in Carmel
Melbourne, Australia
“Great Location”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2013

After a long drive down from SF , we didn't have anything booked to stay in as we weren't sure how far we would drive that day , We decided on Carmel as it a pretty little town . We called into the Comfort Inn and straight away the manager gave us a discount rate . The hotel is clean and comfortable . There's a complimentary breakfast served each morning which included sausage patties , eggs , waffles , cereal , toast , yoghurts tea and coffee . The hotel sits at the start of the ocean ave shopping district and makes it very easy to walk around the town .

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (58)
Cincinnati, Ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2013

Our stay in Carmel was very pleasant as we were given an early check-in! It was a Friday at 12noon and we had just arrived from Fresno, Ca. It made a huge difference to check in early instead of 3p. It allowed us not to worry about where to park our car and we could freshen up before we explored the downtown area. The location is excellent. It's at the top of Ocean Ave and is in walking distance to all the restaurants, galleries, shopping, the beach and even a grocery store (rooms have refrig). The room was modernly renovated but still had the charm of Carmel with a courtyard and flowers.

Atlanta, Georgia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2013

This pretty little hotel was very clean and had a peaceful charm about it. The location is perfect for shopping and restaurants. Susie was very kind to help me with my midnight arrival. I plan to stay here again on my next visit to Carmel.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
Portland, Oregon
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2013

We had a decent stay at this hotel, we liked our room (much more interesting than the usual Comfort Inn we have experienced - older, and with more character), and the location was wonderful (right next to downtown - easy walking everywhere, and very close to a grocery store). The stay was odd because of the woman at the front desk - she was quite abrupt when I checked in, and seemed like she was trying to get me out the door as quickly as she could (I asked if she had any maps of the Big Sur and she said "yes, you can look at it in the morning" even though she had a whole stack of maps available which she could have easily directed me to). The next morning she sternly said to my husband that the breakfast was self serve, and as we were leaving she whispered to me that she hoped I would "make nice" in a review. The hotel was nice, but she was pretty unpleasant, and seemed to stare at people disapprovingly during breakfast. I think maybe she should let someone with better customer service skills work the front desk.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Perth, Australia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2013

WOW - what a terrible experience.
We had travelled such a long way to arrive at our first Pebble Beach Car show. I understand how busy the area gets in terms of accommodation offerings and this hotel was all that we could find even booking 2 months out.

When we arrived we knew the type of accommodation would not be to the level we enjoy but did not have a choice due to the busy weekend. From the outside it appeared ok. When we parked the car and entered the reception I knew from the smell that we were in for an experience.
Once we received the keys we unpacked the car and dragged our suitcases to the dingiest darkest corner of the hotel to our room watched by a team of suspicious looking gardeners and maintenance people which concerned me as we had so much luggage and valuables.

When we walked in again the smell was awful and the room was like my uni student bedsit days. We had no room to even lay 1 suitcase flat!! Went straight to the safe and of course this was out of order so we could not put our valuables in there. Seriously for $455 per night - what a joke and cannot believe they can justify this price and of course there is no refund if you chose to leave early and cancel the rest of your stay!!

Anyway so we leave the room and take most of our things in the car with us which to me felt safer. Unfortunately after a wonderful time in Monterey at the car auctions we made our way back to the hotel from hell to find our things were still there.
I was so not letting any maintenance man anywhere near our room as I thought it rather odd that our safe did not work!

So when we finally went to bed around midnight, all we could hear was the TV on full volume coming from the room next door. We tried ringing reception but of course no answer after 4 tries. I would not normally worry about this sort of noise but when you can hear every sound from the TV and it's late there was no excuse. We even got up and knocked on reception door but of course NO ANSWER!!!! Unbelievable.
So after no sleep we checked out around 6am and tried to find somewhere for a coffee to get us through our first day at the concourse at Pebble Beach. From 6am I rang every hotel I could to find a cancellation and I was so lucky as the Monterey Plaza Hotel was on our side.
I have reviewed this hotel and it was amazing and just what we needed.

We did try to ask for a refund due to our terrible experience but no response - please do not stay here it was a really disappointing experience run by people who have no idea about cleanliness or safety.

Room Tip: Everything about this hotel is dreadful so I recommend that you do not stay here. Monterey is a much...
San Jose, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2013

My husband and I were looking for a place to stay in Carmel , last minute. We called and spoke to Susie the owner who was very pleasant and accommodating . We we very pleasantly surprised at the location of the inn which was walking minutes away from downtown Carmel . The room was very clean and the price was right. We will defiantly be returning regularly.it was great to be able to park our car and be within walking distance of everything.
Strongly recommend if you want great value and clean rooms
Belinda and Patrick

Dallas, Texas
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2013

It was our first time in Comfort Inn and we chose it only because of the price (because Carmel is already overpriced especially during the high season) and there was no other option for us in the center of the town. We also liked the possibility to park on site, and the location of the B&B itself.
I had bad vibes when I first called in to make sure they could provide a crib for our 1 year old baby and the receptionist almost hang up on me.
Unfortunately, our stay did not live up to our expectations. Dark, run down, small, unstylish room. Very noisy due to the thin walls. It reminded me of the hostels I have been to when I was young.
Staff had a very unfriendly attitude, despite the efforts to the face. None of our minor requests were addressed, only to receive dismissive answers.
Breakfast was nothing special. One of those that require an early lunch.

Generally speaking, Carmel is overpriced and this hotel is no exception. There are several hundred cosy, beautiful, rewarding destinations around the world that deserve more, A couple of nights stay anywhere in California already pays for the airline ticket to Europe (or elsewhere).

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family

Been to Comfort Inn Carmel By The Sea? Share your experiences!