“Horrible - do not STAY here, it's absolutely terrible” 1 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Choice Privileges Points
Ranked #11 of 22 Hotels in Carmel
Perth, Australia
“Horrible - do not STAY here, it's absolutely terrible”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2013

WOW - what a terrible experience.
We had travelled such a long way to arrive at our first Pebble Beach Car show. I understand how busy the area gets in terms of accommodation offerings and this hotel was all that we could find even booking 2 months out.

When we arrived we knew the type of accommodation would not be to the level we enjoy but did not have a choice due to the busy weekend. From the outside it appeared ok. When we parked the car and entered the reception I knew from the smell that we were in for an experience.
Once we received the keys we unpacked the car and dragged our suitcases to the dingiest darkest corner of the hotel to our room watched by a team of suspicious looking gardeners and maintenance people which concerned me as we had so much luggage and valuables.

When we walked in again the smell was awful and the room was like my uni student bedsit days. We had no room to even lay 1 suitcase flat!! Went straight to the safe and of course this was out of order so we could not put our valuables in there. Seriously for $455 per night - what a joke and cannot believe they can justify this price and of course there is no refund if you chose to leave early and cancel the rest of your stay!!

Anyway so we leave the room and take most of our things in the car with us which to me felt safer. Unfortunately after a wonderful time in Monterey at the car auctions we made our way back to the hotel from hell to find our things were still there.
I was so not letting any maintenance man anywhere near our room as I thought it rather odd that our safe did not work!

So when we finally went to bed around midnight, all we could hear was the TV on full volume coming from the room next door. We tried ringing reception but of course no answer after 4 tries. I would not normally worry about this sort of noise but when you can hear every sound from the TV and it's late there was no excuse. We even got up and knocked on reception door but of course NO ANSWER!!!! Unbelievable.
So after no sleep we checked out around 6am and tried to find somewhere for a coffee to get us through our first day at the concourse at Pebble Beach. From 6am I rang every hotel I could to find a cancellation and I was so lucky as the Monterey Plaza Hotel was on our side.
I have reviewed this hotel and it was amazing and just what we needed.

We did try to ask for a refund due to our terrible experience but no response - please do not stay here it was a really disappointing experience run by people who have no idea about cleanliness or safety.

Room Tip: Everything about this hotel is dreadful so I recommend that you do not stay here. Monterey is a much...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (58)
San Jose, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2013

My husband and I were looking for a place to stay in Carmel , last minute. We called and spoke to Susie the owner who was very pleasant and accommodating . We we very pleasantly surprised at the location of the inn which was walking minutes away from downtown Carmel . The room was very clean and the price was right. We will defiantly be returning regularly.it was great to be able to park our car and be within walking distance of everything.
Strongly recommend if you want great value and clean rooms
Belinda and Patrick

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Dallas, Texas
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2013

It was our first time in Comfort Inn and we chose it only because of the price (because Carmel is already overpriced especially during the high season) and there was no other option for us in the center of the town. We also liked the possibility to park on site, and the location of the B&B itself.
I had bad vibes when I first called in to make sure they could provide a crib for our 1 year old baby and the receptionist almost hang up on me.
Unfortunately, our stay did not live up to our expectations. Dark, run down, small, unstylish room. Very noisy due to the thin walls. It reminded me of the hostels I have been to when I was young.
Staff had a very unfriendly attitude, despite the efforts to the face. None of our minor requests were addressed, only to receive dismissive answers.
Breakfast was nothing special. One of those that require an early lunch.

Generally speaking, Carmel is overpriced and this hotel is no exception. There are several hundred cosy, beautiful, rewarding destinations around the world that deserve more, A couple of nights stay anywhere in California already pays for the airline ticket to Europe (or elsewhere).

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Toronto, Ontario
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2013

This is a nice little Inn. It is ideally located, just steps away from downtown Carmel. Yet, it is just far enough from downtown that it is very quiet. I basically parked the car for a few days and was able to walk throughout town.

The parking lot is very small and will not hold all guest vehicles. However, there is parking available on the street in front of the hotel.

My room was very clean and everything was relatively up to date. The bed was comfortable and the room did come with a safe to store valuables.

The only drawback is that the walls are very thin. As a result, you can easily hear your neighbors in the adjacent rooms.

This is the first accommodation I've tried in this area and would have no problem returning if my travels take me back to Carmel....which has great shopping and restaurants!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
Wayne, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2013 via mobile

We recently stayed here and were very pleased with the rooms, location and staff. We arrived very late our first night and Susie the manager stayed past the office closing time to give us our rooms. The location could not be better, across the road is a deli store with everything you could possibly want. We brought food from there and sat out in the courtyard at the hotel.

Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2013

We have been remiss in sending this review from our visit in March, so here it is.

My husband had a major birthday on St. Patrick's Day, and we decided to come out so he could play a round of golf at Pebble Beach. We really wanted to stay in Carmel, had not been back in several years but remembered how nice it was just to walk to restaurants, shops, and the beach. We found this hotel right off Ocean Blvd. and it turned out to be a great spot for us. Stayed four days. Each day breakfast was included, which was very convenient. It is also close to a grocery store. The hotel is very well managed, the rooms are small, but very well appointed. Very clean as well! If you book a room for two people, it would be hard to add more people or beds; we left our golf bags in the car. There is some parking available, first come first serve. The Inn is very efficiently run. We saw the lady everyday and it is clear she keeps and eye on everyone and everything. We felt safe and comfortable. The last night we changed our room to the only suite, and it was spacious and nice, with a private seating area outside. There is a courtyard with outside seating, nice area to share a glass of wine. Lots of flowers everywhere. We would enjoy to stay here again.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2013 via mobile

This hotel is very pretty and all you need for an over night stay. It is located on the main street towards the outside of town. The rooms are clean and well stocked, Keith a coffee maker and bath. I would not stay longer as the rooms were very dark and walls thin. The breakfast was limited with the strangest burger and flat rubber eggs. By the way don't arrive early as your room will not be available.

• Stayed July 2013

Been to Comfort Inn Carmel By The Sea? Share your experiences!