“Grilling in the sunshine” 4 of 5 stars

Cuisines: American, International, Mediterranean, Contemporary
Good for: Scenic view, Romantic
Dining options: Outdoor Seating
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Description: A casual ambiance defines the Terrace Grill at the La Playa Hotel. Noted Chef Bunyan Fortune prepares a unique variety of offerings, created to blend the tremendous resources of Monterey County produce and fresh seafood with classic European preparations. Lobster tamales, Artichokes, Ravioli and Filet Mignon with Portobello Mushroom Sauce are just a few examples of Chef Bunyan's bountiful specialties. Al Fresco dining on the heated open air terrace overlooking the garden's colorful, year-round blooms is always available for breakfast, lunch and dinner. The wood paneled Terrace Grill Lounge offers cocktails, a collection of old ports and sherries, and an extensive wine list featuring the best in Central Coast wines as well as Napa and Sonoma favorites.
London, United Kingdom
“Grilling in the sunshine”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2012

We ate on the Terrace Grill one lunchtime and one breakfast. The food was very good, the wine beautifully chilled. At breakfast, although we sat under a parasol the sun was quite low and we also got very hot so we were quite uncomfortable. We should have asked to move but we just had to spend our last day in California outside (in November) so we just grinned and put up with it. It's now December and I wish I was back there.

Visited November 2012

California
“Great Food/Very Fair Prices!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2011

My husband and I stayed at the La Playa Hotel and arrived late. We had dinner at the Terrace Grill and were pleasant surprised! The food was very good, the wine list was very good and all fairly priced. The servers were pleasant. We began our evening with a martini each, shared a salad, each enjoyed an entree and a bottle of wine all for about $100 plus the tip! After dinner we had a drink at the bar and enjoyed talking with the bartender. I wish I remembered his name. He said he'd been working there for 28 years, loved his job and it showed! The following morning we had breakfast at the Terrace Grill. Again, fairly priced and good food. We'd definitely return!

• Visited August 2011
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Texas
“Good View but......”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2011

The quality of food on March 9, 2011 was not as good as what we had on December 31, 2010. We were disappointed with my husband's uncooked chicken and my fishy sanddab.

• Visited March 2011
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
San Jose, CA
“We won't return to Terrace Grill after 20 years of patronage!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2010

We have been enjoying dinners at the Terrace Grill for over 20 years especially celebrating birthdays. Not anymore! We noticed the change immediately. After making a birthday reservation my mother noticed no balloon as usual when we arrived. Then we got a young, snippy waiter. For years we have ordered the sole with potatoes instead of rice. No problem before tonight! We were told a $2 charge. OK--Then my sisters wanted to know what came with their special and were told cabbage. They both said no cabbage, but they wanted the potatoes. He said snippily, " a $2 charge" to both of them. They said they didn't care about the charge, but they didn't want the cabbage! All five of us started noticing all the waiters were young and wondered what happened to usually more experienced waiters. Then the meals came. My sisters got cabbage anyway and potatoes. We mentioned again about my sister's birthday. No response. We asked about my sister's birthday dessert. We were told they don't do free birthday desserts. We said they always had before. The young waiter said, NO THEY DON'T! Then he called a woman manager who lied and told us she worked here 5 years and they never did birthday desserts. (We had been here at least a dozen times previously getting a candle in a cake or small sundae.) My younger sister got one just this August. The manager said she would give my sister a free desert this time but NEVER AGAIN! My sister didn't even want desert now. When they did bring one, still no candle. The birthday celebration had been spoiled. After we paid our bill and were getting ready to leave the waiter brought a glass of champagne for my birthday sister. She didn't want anything now, especially since we were leaving. On the way out James Battaglieri, director, food & beverage, asked my 89 year old mother how she liked dinner? SHE TOLD HIM! He said he doesn't like balloons and he let the more experienced waiters go and hired new, young ones. He said he was trying to train them, but they "can't walk or talk yet". The next birthday in December we'll try Fresh Cream, definitely not Terrace Grill.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
ps2pw, Guest Relations Manager at Terrace Grill, responded to this review, November 14, 2010
We welcome and appreciate all comments and reviews about our famous hotel and restaurant, and deeply regret any guest visit that is even a little less than excellent. Our Director gave one guest his card, but did not speak to the reviewer. Instead, he offered to speak to the guests at a convenient time of their choosing, but they have chosen not to speak, preferring to write a public review. The long time staff of La Playa Hotel and the Terrace Grill has tremendous pride in our business and respect for our guests. We regret that we were not given the opportunity to resolve this matter in our normal, professional manner. We were prepared to do so, as we always have.
Redondo Beach, CA
“Good traditional breakfast. Beautiful views. Polite Staff”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2008

We had a really delicious breakfast here last weekend. We made reservations which was a good thing. There were tables available but because ours was reserved we were located where we could view the ocean. The staff was very polite though we did seem to have several people waiting on us instead of one main server. It was definitely a traditional crowd with traditional fare. A nice contrast to another great experience at Katy's Place which is casual.