“Not good” 1 of 5 stars

Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #54 of 150 Restaurants in Carmel
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Large groups, Entertaining clients, Bar scene, Romantic, Doing business, Special occasions
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Dessert, Breakfast, Late Night, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Description: Il Fornaio means "the Baker" in Italian. Located in downtown Carmel, Il Fornaio offers an authentic and unique Italian dining experience and a Wine Spectator Award of Excellence 2007 wine list. Enjoy wood-fired rotisserie and grilled meats, poultry and game; house made and imported pastas; pizzas from an oak wood burning oven; fresh salads and house made soups; antipasti and a wide variety of desserts made daily from scratch. Reservation Confirmation Message: Thank you for choosing Il Fornaio - Carmel. Should your plans change, please let us know. We look forward to serving you Grazie e Ciao
London, United Kingdom
“Not good”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2014

I seriously doubt that anyone involved in this restaurant has actually ever been to Italy. The chef could benefit from some cooking lessons and the staff some lessons in politeness.

We almost walked out when the host sneered at us whilst trying to locate our reservation then slung the menus down on the table. I wish I had trusted my instinct and left!

The porcini pasta was good quality porcini. But more to the point the pasta was over cooked and I don't think any salt had been added to the pan. Completely flavourless. My husband's wild boar pasta was watery.

They were out of the wine we ordered and the bottle we got instead was far too warm. We asked for an ice bucket, by the time it arrived we were half way through our meal.

I would not recommend going to this restaurant.

Hello -
Thank you for your feedback. I am horrified that you had the experience you describe here. I am truly sorry you were so disappointed. We hope you will give us another chance. We'd like to invite you back as our guest. Feel free to contact me directly or ask for the manger on duty and we will make sure you have a positively memorable experience. Please accept my heartfelt apologies.
carmel@ilfo.com

• Polish first
“Happy Hour Must!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2014

Mon-Fri (4:30 to 6:00, appx) $6 pizza and $6 drink menu. Great bar and attentive wait staff. they can be busy, but still give good service.

John R, Manager at Il Fornaio, responded to this review, April 21, 2014
Thank you for your warm review. We're so happy you enjoyed our happy hour. We hope to see you again.
Grazie,
Linda
“Perfect place for a coffee and pastry”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2014

I loved my coffee and cheese danish and the place is super cute. Great service to boot. Grab to go and it's a quick walk down to Carmel beach.

John R, Manager at Il Fornaio, responded to this review, April 21, 2014
Thank you for your kind words. We're so glad you enjoyed your visit to Carmel. We hope to see you again.
Thanks again,
Pebble Beach, California
“Turning into a CHAIN Restaurant”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2014

Il Fornaio used to be one of our favorite restaurants. But as it has taken on a "corporate" ownership mentality, the food has lost it's "flair."

The frequent specials, new menu items, and culinary creativity have faded away.

Still good, but not the gem that it once was.

Visited March 2014
Hello -
We're sorry you had a disappointing visit. Let me assure you that though we are part of a corporate group that all of our food is prepared fresh in house and that we take great care in its preparation. So please would you give us a chance to redeem ourselves. We would love to continue being a favorite of yours.
Sincerely yours,
Frensham, United Kingdom
“Do not go here, that's all I can say-we had a lucky escape!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2014 via mobile

Read the reviews and my husband said no way but it looked so beautiful and had this gorgeous roof terrace with big umbrellas and lovely flower boxes that I persuaded him particularly because it was such a lovely sunny day. Struggled to find a hostess. Asked if we could sit outside, waitress rolled her eyes and snorted (no joke!). Other waitress was clearly embarrassed and asked her to lay up a table. First server said we had to sit at table by door in the dark (there were loads of lovely ones where other customers were seated in the sun) I pointed this out and asked to sit there, she begrudgingly allowed it and laid the table so aggressively we almost got hit by the side plates. Disappeared, no menus, no wine list. Feeling this was a mistake I asked to see the manager and asked him if he wanted our custom based on what had happened. He
assured me they did and encouraged me to return to the table. Ordered sparkling water with ice and lemon and a bottle of wine. Some time later got water and lemon and told they didn't have the wine. Ordered a different bottle told they didn't have that. Ordered a third and was told they didn't have that... Asked her to find out what wine they did have and if we could have some ice. Walked out and so glad we did. All style no substance and the rudest 'welcome' we have ever had to a restaurant. So many wonderful options in carmel so take your business elsewhere. Shocking.

Hello -
We are sorry you were so disappointed that you felt you had a "lucky escape" We would prefer that you had felt overwhelmingly welcomed and pampered in our care. We hope you will give us another chance. Please come again as our guest. We would welcome the chance to redeem ourselves. Do please contact us directly and/or ask for the manager on duty when you come.
Again, please accept our heartfelt apologies.
-Linda