“Enjoyed it” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Carmel Wayfarer Inn

Save Saved
You added Carmel Wayfarer Inn to your Saves list
Carmel Wayfarer Inn
3.0 of 5 Inn   |   4th Avenue & Mission Street, PO Box 1896, Carmel, CA 93921   |
Ranked #29 of 30 Carmel B&B and Inns
London, United Kingdom
“Enjoyed it”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2013

This was a great find during our stay in Carmel. It had character and a lovely courtyard garden. The staff were friendly and the breakfast was nice. There was not enough parking and finding somewhere on the road was not easy. Good location.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends

282 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (38)
Kingston-upon-Hull, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2013

Had read some of the reviews about this place, and was a little apprehensive about staying there.
How wrong some people are.
The moment we arrived, John who was in reception, couldn't do enough for us.
Booking in was easy, told of the wine tasting event on the patio..so bags bumped in the room, which was lovely--two very large twin beds, each seperate, which gave us privacy, good facilities, clean and spacious, view wasn't much but not complaining about that.
Sat on the patio, and got well oiled on the free wine.
Friendly, clean, and well run establidhment.
Reminded us of accommodation that you get in key west..not the most modern, but comfortable, fairly well equiped and clean.
Would recommended this to anyone stating in Carmel.
Carmel is quite hilly, but the walk to the beach was fine..not that far away..be aware that there doesnt seem to be any street lights at night, so be aware og where your staying, but easy enough to navigate around.
Pleasure staying there.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Cork, Ireland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2013 via mobile

We stayed here for one night as we drove the California coast. When we checked in the man on reception was very nice, helped us to our room and advised us of the wine reception which was beginning shortly. This was probably my favourite thing about the hotel, sitting on the patio sipping wine and making plans for our stay. The room was really run down but it didn't feel dirty, the bathroom was pretty tired and we didn't really want to use the shower. The Inn is well located and we enjoyed walking around. I wouldn't stay again but I'd recommend it to someone if they were on a budget.

• Stayed August 2013
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2013

I wanted to celebrate my 40th wedding anniversary in a romantic way. I got a room with an ocean view!! What a joke! I had a view of a sliver of ocean above rooftops, which I had to look at through filthy windows cause' there was no balcony. We were miles away from the ocean, as well. In addition, the room was dirty, run-down, and the bed was older than I am. HORRIBLE PLACE!

Room Tip: Don't go here!
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Sebastopol, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2013

I just returned from a “girls trip” in beautiful Carmel by the Sea last night. Our requirements for a room were:

1. Two queen size beds
2. Dog friendly
3. West of Hwy 1, because we wanted to be close enough to walk to the beach and little village shops, dinner, etc.
4. Non smoking, clean rooms

Perks would have been if the hotel/inn served a nice breakfast, provided dog beds/bowls, etc., had a view or offered nice bathroom amenities. They do offer a breakfast service – this is little cups of waffle batter that you can pour on the griddle yourself, bread to make toast, oatmeal and coffee. I did not try the waffles or bread. I did not see any nice muffins, croissants, baked goods or even just bagels & cream cheese. They also offer a wine service and pretzels or cheese (pepper jack cheese cubes the second night we were there). The wine is from France, a red and a white, and it wasn’t too bad. Everything else was as sparse as could be.

We paid $335 per night for two nights, plus $50/day for two dogs (they discounted the dog fee, which is usually $35/day per pet) for the “Executive Suite” room on their website. This consisted of two connected bedrooms, each with a queen size bed, average mattress (not too hard or soft, but somewhat lightweight), two TV’s (we didn’t turn either one on), a table in one room and a little refrigerator in the other one. We brought our own coffee maker from home so we had great coffee in our room, and our own little fridge to put our half & half, so that worked fine for us. There were two exterior doors, one from each room. One faced the street, the other faced the courtyard. The room closest to the courtyard backed up to the breakfast room so you could hear cupboard doors opening and closing around 7:15 am. The street is not highly trafficked and the traffic noise died down each night around 10:00 so it was not too bad, until 7 am when some kind of large truck came by, but that was just once each morning. The WiFi was free and worked fine, so that was a nice bonus.

The hotel considers itself “Dog Friendly” but doesn’t allow dogs in the lobby (which is where the coffee service is) and you can’t leave your dog in the room or your car, so unless you are traveling with a friend, you can’t get the coffee or breakfast if you have a dog. The $35/day per dog fee covers – nothing. No dog bed, no bowls, no special anything for our furry traveling companions. Apparently, according to the person who checked us in, it is illegal to leave your dog in your car at any time, day or night, rain or shine in the town of Carmel. (Apparently because they could be stolen - Is this really a problem?) I think it has more to do with the four or five times we walked by a parked car that did have a dog inside and they startled us by barking like mad. I do agree that dogs should not be left in a car if there is any chance of it being too hot, but what would be the problem at night?

The bathroom amenities left us wanting more – the shampoo/conditioner they provide is in a little foil packet you tear open. Thankfully we brought our own. Many amenities you find in the most basic Holiday Inn were lacking, for instance Kleenex or any tissue for your face. The bare bones feel extended to the tiny, thin towels that could barely wrap around an average person’s body. We laughed, wondering if these are the towels in the “Executive Suite” how they could be lower quality for the rest of the lower level rooms. There were cracks in the tile and the drapes were coming off the valance, the room looked very worn. I didn’t notice any offensive smell so we were glad to be able to book a last minute room in Carmel. If we had not needed two beds or if we had not needed a dog friendly place we could have gone elsewhere. Next time we will book earlier. Last time we had these same parameters we stayed at the Carmel Country Inn, which has two-bedroom, two-bath suites, with a living room area, currently priced at $395. Unfortunately it was booked the weekend we were going.

Final Analysis: We did sleep fine, and if we were left with the same options we would probably book it again, however the exorbitant price made us feel we were getting shafted. If the owners would just put a little bit of TLC into providing nice towels, nicer bath amenities, fixing the failing tile, valances, etc. it would go a long way to making this worth the price. This is a bare bones hotel in a fabulous location from which one can walk all around the scenic village of Carmel.

One thing more: There is a wonderful little bakery down the street I highly recommend, “Pastries and Petals” with croissants that taste like the ones we had in France. After 9 am they offer more than pastries, like quiche, etc., but we were always there too early for that.

Room Tip: The "Executive Suite" is on the ground level under the stairs, so you hear people walking...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
Los Angeles, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2013

I picked this hotel because it offered a "Family Suite", which was $329, and included a queen size bed with two twins. The outside of the inn was quaint, a la Carmel, which was expected. But we did not expect the dilapidated mess that was inside. The twin beds were rickety, with spring mattresses that bounced and creaked all night when my boys turned in their sleep. There is NO air conditioning and just a loud rotating stand fan; it felt totally third world to have to use a rotating fan when we paid $329 for the one night! The bathroom window, which was the only way to get air in the room had no screen, so we had to choose air or bugs! The "onion skin" thin sheets had holes and rips in them and the comforter that looked OK in the pictures was actually seriously pilled, with shams and pillow that were ripped. The "kitchenette" was not upgraded, but horribly painted as if by a child, with a rusted sink and a range that must have been 20 years old. The worse was the bathroom sink that did not drain, and we had to brush our teeth with disgusting water stopped up in the sink. The carpet was filthy. We feel totally ripped off at $329 for one night. For that money in Las Vegas, for example, you get a top of the line suite. At a minimum, there should have been clean and top quality mattresses and bedding. I took pictures because I want to make sure people see the truth about this place. The outside of the inn was also inexcusably filthy. Don't book this place, You are much better off getting a chain hotel like the Vagabond or a Best Western, and just driving to the Carmel town center.

Room Tip: The "family suite" is not worth it at all.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
iselin, NJ
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2013

I would not stay here again.

Owner was indifferent to ... Everything. I told him the phone wasn't working, he said ok and nothing was done about it. I saw other posts about Air Conditioning issues, the issue is there is none! He told me to leave my door open. Limited parking my butt, 6 or 7 spots for 18 rooms? Hows that work out? It barely fit my rented GMC Yukon as well. The windows were old and broken, I hurt my finger trying to close one.

Positive things, the breakfast was ok and the 4-6pm wine was good. The only thing that makes this place is the location but next time, I will be going back to my old reliable Hyatt, only $30 more expensive.

Also, had wifi issues, the front desk said it gets like that in Carmel, and to try and stand by a window. The fireplace was also a little iffy, when off, it would still have flame which I thought wasn't supposed to happen.

Also, the claim of "ocean view" rooms is stretching it to say the least.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Carmel Wayfarer Inn? Share your experiences!