“Interesting place. Older but nice.” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Carmel Wayfarer Inn

Save Saved
You added Carmel Wayfarer Inn to your Saves list
Carmel Wayfarer Inn
3.0 of 5 Inn   |   4th Avenue & Mission Street, PO Box 1896, Carmel, CA 93921   |
Ranked #29 of 30 Carmel B&B and Inns
Cartersville, Georgia
“Interesting place. Older but nice.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2013

This was an interesting place. You would not even know this town was here just by driving by. It is nestled back off the road and is full of surprises. The Hotel was a bit hard to find since the the town does not use address numbers. The Hotel seemed to be a lot like a B&B. I really enjoyed the fireplace in the room. Very fast wifi. It was just a comfortable setting. You are within walking distance from shops and dinning. There is not many street lights so you don't have to worry about much night life (partying and noise). The place was quiet and relaxing. I would stay here again. Only issue I had was there is no one in the office between 8pm & 8am.

Room Tip: This is more like a B&B, so a playground for the kids, pool or a fitness center is not here.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family

282 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (38)
Chicago
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2013

Okay, the whole place is in need of a major make-over (that should start this year). The rooms are quiet and the beds are good. The prices are reasonable and the management professional and caring. What really separates this place is their happy hour. In the two nights I stayed there I met some fascinating people: one of the last people out of the fall of Vietnam, an olive oil entrepreneur, a professional match maker and a landscape photographer. No need to go out for brain food.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Loomis, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2013

Remember, this is Carmel. The pictures look better than the property. It is in desperate need of renovation and cleaning. Room #16 had mold around the windows and on the ceiling in the bathroom. The carpet needs to be stretched. My wife said the mattress had a bad odor. The fireplace is the heat source but the glass is so fogged up that you can't enjoy the fire. The towel bar was removed leaving the hardware exposed. Paint is chipped inside and out. The bathroom fan did not work, and the shower curtain sucked onto the occupant (a problem I haven't had in years). The breakfast is pretty much just waffles. No variety. On the positive side, the desk help were nice enough. The property has a great location, we even had a distant ocean view. Other motel properties that looked marginally better were twice the price, so it all depends on what's important to you and how much time you'll spend in the room. The walls seem thin so in the middle of the week they're fine. The weekend gets busier and noises and doors slamming are going to be a problem.

Room Tip: Choose upstairs. Rooms at the end of the halls are obviously better with fewer shared walls.
Pinole, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2013

My wife and I recently spent 2 days at the Carmel Wayfarer Inn and could not have been happier with our experience and stay.

For a very reasonable price we had a large, very quiet and very comfortable room (#18) with a fireplace and view of the ocean. The location is great, two blocks from Ocean Ave., the main downtown corridor.

We walked to the beach and to several restaurants downtown. The management, Michael and John, were very pleasant and helpful.

Other than a free limo, a joke, the place was very, very nice and we certainly plan to stay there when we visit again in the hopefully near future,

John and Sachiko, Bay Area California

Room Tip: Choose an upstairs ocean view room, although all are nice.
Toronto, Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2013

First Impressions: Quaint. Nice outdoor fireplace on patio. Efficient, if not personable check-in on a Friday evening. Room old, bed tired, bathroom musty.
Saturday morning: bathroom flooded from shower above; floor soaked, not enough towels to cope. Saturday evening complained to front desk and was given many towels to deal with flood.
Sunday morning check out: complained about flood and asked for discount. Was offered $30.00. Said I would not have stayed there if I had known about flood before hand. Was offered $50.00. Still not happy as flood was due to unsanitary water from bathroom above. Said I would not come back. Told that that was fine with him. Told I should have complained earlier (not possible because reception is closed and locked from 8pm to 8am) as I would have been given a different room. I pointed out that they were sold out both nights. Desk countered by saying I would have been switched with another guest!!!
Got bill. No $50 discount. No $30 discount. No discount at all.
State of ceiling where flood entered room: Room number 4 no doubt has been flooding for a long time. Ceiling is heavily painted, cracked and bulging. The floor where the flood pools has black mildew.
Conclusion: Dishonest and disrespectful operator. Suspect we got room 4 as we booked late. Suspect we over paid in spite of flood problem.

Room Tip: Upstairs rooms probably safe from floods.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Northern California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2013

I read the reviews just before we headed to Carmel and was a tad concerned. However, once we got to the Wayfarer, we had no doubts about staying there. John, at the front desk, was very friendly and helpful. Our room (#6) was very comfortable....good bed, good shower, plenty of storage, and clean! There were minor items that could be updated, ie: black out curtains had a few holes in them, but nothing extreme.
We have stayed in numerous inns/motels in the Carmel area over the past 25 years and would consider the Wayfarer one of the ones we would definitely go back to....for the convenient location, comfort, friendly staff, and very reasonable rates.

Room Tip: We prefer upstairs rooms so no one is 'walking' on our heads and our Room #6 was perfect at...
Dublin, Ireland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2013

Having read the reviews of this place before we stayed I have to say I was wary about staying here. But I cannot understand where all the poor ratings come from. We arrived very late at night after a day on the road and the manager was very helpful in getting us checked in and settled. The room was a decent size with a very large bed and a little kitchen and bathroom just off it. It was modern and pretty well decorated too. The only (slightly) offputting thing was the smell of disinfectant when we arrived. But for me that meant the room was clean and I didn't notice it at all after the first few minutes. SHould I ever be lucky enough to stay in Carmel again, I'll certainly be staying here!

Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Carmel Wayfarer Inn? Share your experiences!