“Great!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Carmel Wayfarer Inn

You added Carmel Wayfarer Inn to your Saves list
Carmel Wayfarer Inn
3.0 of 5 Inn   |   4th Avenue & Mission Street, PO Box 1896, Carmel, CA 93921   |
Ranked #27 of 28 Carmel B&B and Inns
Dublin, Ireland
“Great!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2013

Having read the reviews of this place before we stayed I have to say I was wary about staying here. But I cannot understand where all the poor ratings come from. We arrived very late at night after a day on the road and the manager was very helpful in getting us checked in and settled. The room was a decent size with a very large bed and a little kitchen and bathroom just off it. It was modern and pretty well decorated too. The only (slightly) offputting thing was the smell of disinfectant when we arrived. But for me that meant the room was clean and I didn't notice it at all after the first few minutes. SHould I ever be lucky enough to stay in Carmel again, I'll certainly be staying here!

Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (44)
Auburn, Ca
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

In dealing with the owners of this place you will find out very soon why you must never book here. They charge a $20.00 per day charge plus taxes over and above the price of the room. I have never dealt with such terrible service and Mike is a person that will not be of any help whatsoever. We cancelled one hour after we booked the room online and he still charged $30.00 for the cancellation. Terrible manners on the phone. You're better off going down the road. My ratings are based on other people except for the first hand dealing with Mike who supposedly is a new owner. Beware!

Room Tip: Anywhere but at Wayfarer Inn
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Singapore, Singapore
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2013

As others have mentioned, the Wayfarer Inn suffers from appliances that need refurbishing--our shower didn't work so we had to take baths. Otherwise, though, a real gem. Extremely comfortable, well-located, beautiful, and the owner was extremely helpful and friendly.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
Los Angeles, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2012

This is the third time I have stayed at the wayfarer inn, there are new owners and the place is falling to pieces. We had family with us this trip so we rented 3 rooms the cost of the room is not a factor, it wouldn't be worth staying there at any price in the condition it is in. Rooms are old, walls have holes and need to be painted. Carpet is old, filthy and buckling, take a look under the bed, don't know the last time it was vacuumed. Mattresses need to be replaced along with the ripped sheets and blankets. Don't be fooled by the posted pictures, these are from the previous owners and are at least four years old, if you are curious where the previous owners hung pictures you can tell because the nails are still in the wall. There is no pride in ownership going on here and no money being put into the property. Breakfast was poor, obviously the other guests agreed because most of us went out and brought breakfast back. Ohhh the coffee, the burned coffee flavor is a sign that they didn't bother to clean the pot, along with the container the waffle batter was mixed in, it sat dirty on the counter all morning and into the afternoon visible during wine and cracker time. Would one sleeve of Ritz be considered crackers?
Very disappointed, hotel is in a great location but location does not outweigh all the other problems.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Los Angeles, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2012

I just stayed here on a Tuesday night at the last minute. I called and they said there was 1 room left with an ocean view and fireplace also it was off in the back of the hotel, room number 18. When you open the door its like a townhouse style with your own stairs that go up to the room. They wanted $80 for the night but got them down to $69.00. The bed was a little hard and the pillows where really bad, but other than that the room was fine and it did have a nice view of the ocean, yes a little dated grandma style. There is a large flat screen Tv on the wall by the fireplace. One thing I didn't like was that the fireplace is your only source of heat so you have to leave it on all night long, I like sleeping in a dark room not totally lit up. They do give you free wine till 630pm. The breakfast was ok all they had was toast and cereal and oatmeal oh and a banana. I was hoping for more fruit.

I think I know why there are sooooo many bad reviews here. For under $100.00 for a hotel in Carmel walking distance to the main street this is a Great place to stay. Now there is NO way I would pay over $300.00 like some people have. I looked at the pictures just now after staying there and I see what people mean about the rooms being dated. I think my room #18 and room 17 are the best rooms there!

Would I stay here again YES but only for a low price.

Room Tip: rooms 17 and 18 I think are the best
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Sao Paulo, SP
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2012

Very badly kept hotel. Some people may say that everything in Carmel is very expensive, so this is a good option.
I would say: if you are going to Carmel, try to book it in advance and find a better option. If you are in such a lovely, charming, romantic town, uoudeserve to have at least a comfortable bed at night.
In my case, I booked this hotel in the morning for the same night. So, there wasn´t many options. But if I knew it was so bad, maybe I would have chosen to stay at Monterey.
Got a room that was actually a family room. Two bedrooms, two bathrooms. Bed was falling apart! Had pieces of wood under it to keep it standing! Look at the pictures!
Walls haven´t received any paintings for decades!
Plastic cup for water.
Blankets with little holes.
Worst breakfast ever! There was a waffle machine and some banana to go with the waffle. Coffee and bread for toasting. That´s it! No other fruits, no iogurt, nothing! Had to go out to eat something.

Room Tip: Don´t stay here
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
Mountain View, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2012

Stayed here a few years ago - think has changed ownership. Overall upkeep is not as good. Needs paint inside and out. My mom and I here for my birthday - we had 2 bdrm 2 bath suite. Rooms clean but very dated. Some missing items in room - like 1 chair to sit, 1 plastic cup for bathrooms, no shower cap available, no Kleenex's. Wine and cheese reception not as good as other places (crackers, spinach dip (not cold), marmalade - go figure) - wine was "foreign" to me. Breakfast not exciting - cold cereal, bread for toast, hard boiled eggs and banana slices. Only highlight was the waffle maker. Only 1 coffee urn so must wait in line for that 2nd cup! And not to be spoiled but a note stating to take used dishes to the kitchen. I don't mind helping but not told to do that. Also ended up with a "Cold Shower" - was lukewarm at first, then got "colder" - that cut my shower to 30 seconds! Manager said "that happens - problem with water heater" - should have told me that the day before. With reporting that problem I got a room credit of $20. The "special rate" the manager claimed to give me for the room was $129 - actually that was already posted on their website. Oh well, I'll take the $20 discount and run to another Carmel B&B!!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family

Been to Carmel Wayfarer Inn? Share your experiences!