“Not bad at all for the for under$100.00. Great location!!!” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Carmel Wayfarer Inn

You added Carmel Wayfarer Inn to your Saves list
Carmel Wayfarer Inn
3.0 of 5 Inn   |   4th Avenue & Mission Street, PO Box 1896, Carmel, CA 93921   |
Ranked #27 of 28 Carmel B&B and Inns
Los Angeles, California
“Not bad at all for the for under$100.00. Great location!!!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2012

I just stayed here on a Tuesday night at the last minute. I called and they said there was 1 room left with an ocean view and fireplace also it was off in the back of the hotel, room number 18. When you open the door its like a townhouse style with your own stairs that go up to the room. They wanted $80 for the night but got them down to $69.00. The bed was a little hard and the pillows where really bad, but other than that the room was fine and it did have a nice view of the ocean, yes a little dated grandma style. There is a large flat screen Tv on the wall by the fireplace. One thing I didn't like was that the fireplace is your only source of heat so you have to leave it on all night long, I like sleeping in a dark room not totally lit up. They do give you free wine till 630pm. The breakfast was ok all they had was toast and cereal and oatmeal oh and a banana. I was hoping for more fruit.

I think I know why there are sooooo many bad reviews here. For under $100.00 for a hotel in Carmel walking distance to the main street this is a Great place to stay. Now there is NO way I would pay over $300.00 like some people have. I looked at the pictures just now after staying there and I see what people mean about the rooms being dated. I think my room #18 and room 17 are the best rooms there!

Would I stay here again YES but only for a low price.

Room Tip: rooms 17 and 18 I think are the best
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (47)
Sao Paulo, SP
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2012

Very badly kept hotel. Some people may say that everything in Carmel is very expensive, so this is a good option.
I would say: if you are going to Carmel, try to book it in advance and find a better option. If you are in such a lovely, charming, romantic town, uoudeserve to have at least a comfortable bed at night.
In my case, I booked this hotel in the morning for the same night. So, there wasn´t many options. But if I knew it was so bad, maybe I would have chosen to stay at Monterey.
Got a room that was actually a family room. Two bedrooms, two bathrooms. Bed was falling apart! Had pieces of wood under it to keep it standing! Look at the pictures!
Walls haven´t received any paintings for decades!
Plastic cup for water.
Blankets with little holes.
Worst breakfast ever! There was a waffle machine and some banana to go with the waffle. Coffee and bread for toasting. That´s it! No other fruits, no iogurt, nothing! Had to go out to eat something.

Room Tip: Don´t stay here
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
Mountain View, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2012

Stayed here a few years ago - think has changed ownership. Overall upkeep is not as good. Needs paint inside and out. My mom and I here for my birthday - we had 2 bdrm 2 bath suite. Rooms clean but very dated. Some missing items in room - like 1 chair to sit, 1 plastic cup for bathrooms, no shower cap available, no Kleenex's. Wine and cheese reception not as good as other places (crackers, spinach dip (not cold), marmalade - go figure) - wine was "foreign" to me. Breakfast not exciting - cold cereal, bread for toast, hard boiled eggs and banana slices. Only highlight was the waffle maker. Only 1 coffee urn so must wait in line for that 2nd cup! And not to be spoiled but a note stating to take used dishes to the kitchen. I don't mind helping but not told to do that. Also ended up with a "Cold Shower" - was lukewarm at first, then got "colder" - that cut my shower to 30 seconds! Manager said "that happens - problem with water heater" - should have told me that the day before. With reporting that problem I got a room credit of $20. The "special rate" the manager claimed to give me for the room was $129 - actually that was already posted on their website. Oh well, I'll take the $20 discount and run to another Carmel B&B!!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Cork
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2012 via mobile

I recently stayed in this Inn with 2 of my girlfriends. The room was a great size and had a full kitchen which we used even though we were only there for 1 nite. Staff were very friendly and the location is fantastic. Breakfast was a lovely surprise as you hot yo make your own waffles along with good coffee and the nogmdl Continental breakfast. Proprietor very helpful when asked about good restaurants in the area. I would highly recommend this property.

• Stayed October 2012
Hong Kong, China
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2012

The inn is tucked in the corner of the town of Carmel, so going down to the beach or center/shopping area of the town requires a bit of a walk (compared to many of the inns that are located RIGHT IN the center). That also means that it's quieter, so it's nice. However, our 2 bedroom suite is on the ground floor, and one of the rooms is practically by the roadside, it gets a bit noisier when there were (somewhat) rowdy pedestrians and rubbish truck (early in the morning) passing through the road. That also means the outside room's bathroom is also pavement-facing, so it feels like if you turn on the light, people can see the silhouette of people in the bathroom when the light is turned on (impossible not to turn on the light since the shower area is REALLY dark). Also, the sound insulation of the inn is quite poor, so I got woken up really early (6am) by the neighbors moving around and taking showers. The fridge was also really loud and the cooling was on-and-off all night, so it's really quite annoying.

Those are the downsides...

Upsides: nice bed, free wi-fi (relatively stable, but it's kind of lost when I was in the bathroom), breakfast that includes DIY waffles, free wine in the afternoon, patio. The owner (?) and his wife are really quite nice people. Although, it feels a bit insecure without someone being at the reception all time.

The 2-bedroom suite is quite a sweet deal. But given there are so many other choices in Carmel, I probably will try other places if I ever visit the town again.

Room Tip: Maybe better not to have the ground floor rooms - it's practically having people walking outside...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Big Pine Key
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2012

We stayed here in a room I reserved online at $109.00 per night. When checking out we received a bill for $129.00. The extra $20.00 is for incidentals??? This is considered a service charge. This charge on top of the advertised $109.00 rate plus taxes raised the rate to $144.00.
In Carmel this is one of the least expensives rooms available. The room is very dated and not well maintained. I would recommend spending a few more dollars for a more modern location. Beware of the "Service Charge" as I believe others are doing the same. The staff was very friendly.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Carmel, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2012

we booked for Saturday 15 September at rate of USD389.00. The advertising on hotels.com boarders on the fraudulent. our room had furniture from a skip, with broken chairs, old Crt tv and a sagging ceiling. The decor was slightly better than 1930 depression era. All in all disgusting considering the room rate. we checked within 15 minutes and do not expect any service from the owner, no embarrassment, no apology, would not even offer to refund room if he rented it out again. Beware... This is the sort of ripp off that you might expect in a third world country. It would be ok if you paid sub 100 Usd and want to sleep with your dog, a better bet would be the beach though!

Room Tip: we had room 7, good luck
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Carmel Wayfarer Inn? Share your experiences!