“Old School charm” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Carmel Wayfarer Inn

Save Saved
You added Carmel Wayfarer Inn to your Saves list
Carmel Wayfarer Inn
3.0 of 5 Inn   |   4th Avenue & Mission Street, PO Box 1896, Carmel, CA 93921   |
Ranked #28 of 29 Carmel B&B and Inns
San Jose, California
“Old School charm”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 26, 2011

The Inn is in a perfect location just blocks from Ocean Ave. It is an older property with the charm of a time back in the 50s. A bargin for where it is. Our experience was mixed. We arrived an hour and a half early and decided to check in anyway. As it happened Mike the owner was on duty, he checked the schedule and said he could have our room ready in about 20 miniutes. so we sat in the courtyard and had a bite to eat, very nice. Mike was very helpful in describing some of the places to eat around town. We were here on Christmas eve and day so the town was very quiet compared to the norm. Overall the staff was very helpfull. On the other hand the rooms are in need of much needed repair. Older is nice if kept up. A few other things need to be looked after, we had an ice bucket but no glasses, the breakfst buffet was bare bones, dry cereal, oatmeal, toast, coffee (yuck probbly folgers)and tea. the highlght was the make yourself waffel thank goodness!
Overall a good value if your prepared for some inconsistencies.

Room Tip: if traveling in winter get a fireplace room
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (42)
NY
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2011

The Wayfarer is an absolutely adorable inn right in the heart of Carmel. The property was very pretty, with a lovely garden area, and the room itself was clean and cozy. The rates were also very reasonable. But the best part about staying at the Wayfarer was the exceptional service. The manager was so friendly and welcoming -- we arrived well after the nightly wine tasting had finished, but he told us to get settled and come back for a glass anyway. Just an absolutely wonderful place to stay.

san diego
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 22, 2011

after attending montereys high school reunion
we wanted to spend time in carmel...we booked
the wayfarer inn. so pleased with the location
of this inn and our cozy old fashion room ..with a fireplace
and ocean view. good times in the charming lobby for
included breakfast and sunset wine tasting.
warm and informative hosts. a inn... to return to..

Room Tip: ask for a -ocean view room.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2011

We stayed here for two nights are loved it. Our room had a lovely fireplace and a full kitchen. When we arrived we checked out 5 of the other Inns around the neighborhood. We looked inside all the rooms and compared prices. This was definitely the nicest room, best value, and the only one with it's own kitchen. The service was great and check-in was a breeze. We enjoyed to two complimentary breakfasts there, which were fantastic. Because there is so much accommodation available in Carmel, the competition would be fierce. I wouldn't be surprised if it was the competition leaving nasty reviews on this place, because there is no way they are all true. I would happily recommend this place to all, and we are fussy travelers.

km59257
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2011

My sister and i stayed one night (27th) here. As stated, the rooms definitely need an update and were of the level i'd expect to see at a roadside motor hotel in 1985. BUT it was clean, bedbug free in room 15, and the courtyard was lovely. Breakfast was nice, as we arrived at the tail end and still were served pleasantly. Location was excellent, and carmel is fantastic. we are planning a return trip and would stay here again.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with friends
Oakland, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2011

I've been staying at the Wayfarer for over 20 years. I don't care about new and fancy - if you do, this isn't the place for you. I do care about safe, convenient, peaceful, charming, inexpensive, friendly and clean. I care about how a place feels, and Wayfarer has a good feeling for sure. I can smile and even consider it part of the charm that the (original) window in the bathroom doesn't quite close. I'd much rather have that than other places I've stayed where the new windows are sealed shut. So, that said, you'll get the best $ deal in Carmel, casual charm and friendly warmth. I also think the location is ideal - easy parking, quiet, charming street, but close enough to walk to downtown and the beach. One thing I'd be skeptical of, tho, are claims of "ocean views". Not really. In the distance and only then if you stand on tip toes. But otherwise, if you are at all down to earth, this is the place for you. Total Carmel at an unbeatable price.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled solo
Lodi, CA
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2011

I tried to make a reservation in August of 2011 for the end of September 2011 using the $400 gift certificate I received in May of 2010, I was told that the certificate had expired. (The certificate did state that it was good for 1 year from the "date indicated" although there was only the date it was issued and not an actual date of expiration.) Having owned a business that issued gift certificates, I know that in the state of California, it is illegal for gift certificates to expire. Once I mentioned this to the person on the phone, he said that he would like me to fax the certificate to him and he would talk to the management and get back to me. After a coupIe days of not hearing anything, I called and a woman told me that the owner was out of town for the next couple days and would call me on Sunday. She then held a reservation for me, without a credit card because I would be using the gift certificate. (She was very polite and didn't think there would be any problem in using the certificate.) I was actually astounded that I had to call again and the manager/owner told me that the gift certificate had expired. He would have given me a 60 day extension from 1 year from the date issued but that too would have expired 7/31/11 and that he would not honor the gift certificate. Once I mentioned to him that it was illegal in Californina for a gift certicate of this type to have an expiration date, he was even more rude to me than before. (He had glady took the $400 for that certificate and was not honoring it!) He told me he'd check with his legal department and if I was correct, he would refund the money to the person who paid for it and "be done with it!" Who runs a business in this way? I was glad in one sense because I knew I was correct and didn't want to give him anymore business by staying there. (I knew my stay would exceed the $400.) But I really didn't want to hassel with getting a refund from him either. Finally on the following Tuesday, I had to call him again, prepared to fax him copy of the state law. He said he had sent me an email confirming the reservation dates and those dates could not be cancelled. (He had earlier that morning, but I had not read it yet.) I confronted him with his earlier statement of refunding the money and being "done with it" but he back peddalled stating that isueing gift certificates were new to him at the time that gift certificate was purchased, but that doesn't explain his conduct a year later when I went to use that certificate. Nevertheless, I wanted to get my stay over with and "be done with him!" Once I had arrived he was professional, but not really personable. He had never apoligized either on the phone, in the email or in person.

I would not suggest to stay there for other reasons too. The walls are paper thin and I could here everything going on outside of our room. The inn is "pet friendly." It did not smell, but there were many spots on the carpet. It appears tidy, but I did see toothpaste on the ceiling of the bathroom. I paid $50 a night extra for my 2 small dogs, yet there was not any area on the property for them to do their business. I had to walk a block and a half to a dirt area each time I had to take them out, which included in the middle of the night. I understand paying extra for pet for cleaning purposes, but this to me was above the ordinary. Basically I paid $100 to walk my dogs a block and a half to go to the bathroom!

The inn's location is decent to the main Ocean Ave with shops and restaurants but had only a few parking spaces. I was lucky to get one on the street close to the inn.

The inn does offer free continental breakfast and a wine and cheese hour in the late afternoon. I did not take advantage of either of the two offers. I wanted to spend the least amount of time there as possible.

I would not suggest staying here to anyone, with or without pets!

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with family

Been to Carmel Wayfarer Inn? Share your experiences!