“Come for the views and enjoy the food!” 4 of 5 stars

Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Rocky Point Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #52 of 151 Restaurants in Carmel
Cuisines: American, Seafood, Steakhouse, Californian
Good for: Scenic view
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Dessert
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Palo Colorado Cyn
Transit: Monterey Salinas Transit stops one mile north of Rocky Point Restaurant
Description: Rocky Point Restaurant is located 10 miles south of Carmel, a mere fifteen-minute scenic drive, on 36700 Highway 1, between Carmel and Big Sur, offering spectacular views of the sea and shore from all window tables. We are open every day - all day. Our guests may enjoy whale spouting, sea otters and pelicans. Enjoy breakfast or lunch on our ocean terrace or in our lounge, or have a romantic candlelight dinner while the sun is setting over the Pacific Ocean. After sunset, our powerful floodlights illuminate the rocks and shore.
Redding, California
“Come for the views and enjoy the food!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2013

The reason everyone comes here is for the incredible views. And, they are arguably the best along the Big Sur coastline. An expansive southerly vista that encompasses Bixby Bridge famous in all those car commercials and the rocky coastline right below you are a stunning visual.

The food is a bit on the pricey side but you are paying for the view and it is worth a lot I think. They have a full bar here so if you are going, plan on spending 2 - 3 hours here walking around, having a drink, and eating. There are some short trails, great parking for even big vehicles, and a nice outdoor deck for those warm sunny days.

The salads are very good. The Nicoise is huge and worth the $$$. I can recommend the fried calamari and the avocado, bacon, lettuce, and tomato sandwich. One of my friends just loves the clam and linguini though I did not think it was anything special - everything was fresh, but, just OK. I really like the Pear and Endive salad too. Another fave of my friend is the PEI mussels - again, for me, they were fresh but the broth was not anything special in my mind.

I have only eaten lunch here now totaling 5 times. The restaurant can get slammed right around 12 - 1 pm and service suffers a little and you might have to wait for a table. But, come on folks, what do you expect? Overall, I think this is a well run restaurant. The prices are a bit high but if you order carefully, you can have a big meal and wine for $30 a person.

People over on Yelp really slam this place. When reading the negative reviews it seems they are holding it to some ridiculous high standard because the prices are above average and it is a beautiful spot.

Like I said in the beginning. Just get a drink. Chill out. Soak in the views and Big Sur coast vibe. Relax into a unique location and experience. Get yourself into a laid-back California mindset and daydream. This is that kind of place. Let your imagination roam and paint your own picture of Eden - it is really that beautiful here.

• Visited October 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

67% Recommend
Ukiah, Ca
“Lunch with a view”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2013 via mobile

My wife and I stopped at The Rocky Point Restaurant today for the first time in a few years. The location is exceptional and the food is very good. My wife had THE BIXBY (their caps not mine) a nice crab sandwich and I had swordfish. Both dishes were well prepared and tasty. Our waitress was charming and efficient and the facility was very nice if unable to compete with the view. This is, however, one of the few places you can come for the food and the view.

Visited November 2013
California
“Fantastic Views”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2013

We met family at the Rocky Point Restaurant for lunch. The views are fantastic. The restaurant is perched on the cliff with unobstructed views of the ocean. The restaurant is about 15 minutes south of Carmel and about 15 minutes north of Big Sur. There is an outdoor patio. We sat inside. It was a little too windy outside for us although there were people on the patio enjoying the sunshine.

Our waitress was very attentive. We ordered two appetizers (crab cakes and burrata) which were very good. I had the grilled chicken salad and my husband had the blt with avocado. Everything was fresh, tasty and well presented. The desserts were wonderful too. The prices are very reasonable. We will definitely go there again.

• Visited November 2013
Salinas
“Rocky Point”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2013

First time back since the new ownership and makeover. Our food was delicious, our waiter was awesome, and of course the view was divine. They were out of a few things, kinda of a bummer and we were disappointed to see it relatively empty of diners on a Sunday night. If you have not been back since its reopening, you should give it a shot! We will be back when we have out of town guests again for sure!

• Visited September 2013
Haarlem, The Netherlands
“Beautiful location and delicious food”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2013

On our way back from Big Sur, we spotted this restaurant. The view is absolutely beautiful, and the interior design is nice and modern. I had the crab and shrimp salad for lunch, and my husband chose the hamburger. Both dishes were very tasty, and made with fresh and good quality ingredients. Very attentive and friendly staff. Unfortunately, it was our last day in Carmel, but having stayed there for a couple of weeks (2013 and 2014), we find this is the best restaurant, both for the view and the food!!

• Visited September 2013