“Much better than the reviews say” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #20 of 151 Restaurants in Carmel
Good for: Romance, Outdoor seating
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Late Night
San Diego
“Much better than the reviews say”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2007

My husband and I went to Casanova for our wedding anniversary. I was taking a chance since all the reviews were so mixed. My hairdresser raved about it so I decided to give it a chance...boy was I glad I did. This place is fabulous!!! The food is excellent as well as the service. The wine list is the most extensive we have ever seen. It was a wonderful experience and definitely a special occasion type restaurant. Casanova has a great ambiance that is very romantic and intimate.

Sacramento, California
“Not quality for your money.”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2007

We ate at this restaurant the second night we stayed in Carmel on recommendation from someone who has a home here. They said the food was top notch with their only complaint being the sommolier being a bit of a jerk. The atmosphere is definitely unique with the tables being very rustic and worn and frankly the surrounding doesn't seem to match the prices on the menu (roughly $40-50 per entree). I usually find that when I go to these places that a recommendation from our sever usually will get me an excellent dish when several good options are present. My wife and I both had the rack of lamb after the server told us that many patrons had said it was the "best lamb they had ever had". The price of the entree includes a small appetizer of mixed beans, beets and two pieces of asparagus, none of it was particularly good. They also served bread with a sun dried tomato and olive oil tapenade of sorts that was excellent (and I don't really care for tomatoes). My appetizer was frog legs and mushrooms which weren't too bad and my wife had a Gnocche which she really did enjoy. The Sommolier recommended a $55 zinfandel to go with our lamb which was excellent (the wine list is extensive in selection and price), but the lamb on the other hand was not particularly savory at all. My wife ordered hers medium and she felt the outside was actually rather burnt and really wasn't that great. Overall, for $188 (we passed on dessert) I can't say as I would ever go back. We had eaten at Christopher's the night before which was delicious and the service was very good - Christopher himself came out to suggest some desserts and dessert wines and when the bill came he didn't charge us for them after we told him what a good recommendation we had to come there. The total dinner was only a little over $100 (including tip) and for the money was a much better value.

KC, MO
“Nice”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2007

We went for our last evening in Carmel to Casanova and sat out on their heated patio. It was a nice night and easy to be outside with their powerful heat lamps. The dinner is served as 3 courses. The first course is the chef's pick of the night, the second and main dish you pick. Prices are 35-60 dollars. The service was good. The ambiance, very nice. If had been a full house I probably would have felt that the tables were a little too close together. The wine selection is expansive. They have approx. 25,000 bottles in their cellar.

Overall it was a nice experience, but not over the top. For the price, I would have liked to be a little more impressed with food. My favorite part of my filet meal was the bread and sundried tomatoe spread.

San Francisco
“A total let down.”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2007

My husband, sister, brother and sister in law all had dinner at Casanova last Friday night. While the atomsphere, and location are great, the place was terribly over-rated. The food is good, but not for the prices they charge you, the service was so, so, and the somelier was totally rude. Carmel has much better choices in restaurants. We were all very dispointed since we had heard so many good things about Casanova's.

Chicago, Illinois
“Overpriced Tourist Trap - We Fell For It”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2006

My husband and I fell for this "tourist trap." Before our trip to Carmel, I researched a number of restaurants and eventually chose Casanova. I had seen the restaurant featured on Rachel Ray's "Tasty Travel" show and had read about it on this board. I really don't see what all the hype is about this place. There was nothing special about the food, the service was horrible, and the prices were outrageous. I can't believe they can get away with such high prices for below average food. Our meal was a disappointment and I was sorry to waste one of our few meals in Carmel at this place. Don't be fooled.