“The tipping here is out of control.” 3 of 5 stars

Cuisines: French, Italian, Mediterranean
Good for: Romance, Outdoor seating
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Late Night
Nelson, New Zealand
“The tipping here is out of control.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2013 via mobile

Visited with friends. The halibut was excellent but served too cold for my liking. No potato or pasta with it so not very filling. All the deserts ordered were excellent. The bill arrived with 18% already added. Tipping practices in the US are bad enough but this is out of control.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

76% Recommend
Sydney
“Disappointing in every aspect”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2013

We had seen this restaurant on a travel show so as it was our first trip to Carmel we booked well in advance.

The service was terrible as the table was left with empty plates and glasses for a long time until we asked a passing waiter ( not ours) to remove them. We asked for an ice bucket for our wine from our waiter who did not bring one , so we asked the Sommelier who again had to be reminded after 10 further minutes of waiting.. We ordered the fish of the day and the NY steak but both had no taste at all which was very disappointing indeed. The service was very poor and we were ignored by the sommelier and waiter on numerous occasions !!

Carmel has a plethora of restaurants so I sincerely urge you to give Casanova a wide berth and choose an alternative

• 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
Spokane, Washington
“Fabulous food with incredible service”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2013

If you visit Carmel you must visit Casanova. The food is amazing from their wonderful seafood to my favorite lamb chops. You will love this gourmet experience and their exceptional wine list.

Do yourself a huge favor and visit Casanovas!

Visited August 2013
Carmel, California
“Casanova is Falling on "Hard Times"”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2013

For many years now, I have always rated Casanova as being the best restaurant in Carmel-by-the-Sea. Repeatedly I have referred friends and strangers alike to it for a memorable dining experience. Its cuisine remains excellent as does its charming ambience in which to enjoy your meal. But I am afraid Casanova has gradually fallen on hard times. Were it not for it unique ambience, I could not recommend it has heartily as I once did. And why do I say this? Simply because of its long-standing tendency to overprice it menu selection, especially its varied selections of wines. Slowly but surely, it is "cutting corners" with a little less here and a little less there, especially the hors-d'oeuvres! The proverbial "straw that broke carmel's back" came yesterday, when I asked for some bread and was told that bread is no longer severed, but can be ordered for five dollars. I placed an order for it and I was give four slices of excellent bread, that is, at $1.25 per slice of bread! NEVER in life have I been in a restaurant and charged for bread, not to mention this outrageous price. So, fellow restauranteurs from now on I shall frequent "Le Saint Tropez" in Carmel-by-the-Sea, where excellent bread is served without charge and where the cuisine easily rivals that of Casanova.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Northern Califonia
“Not To Be MIssed”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2013

The restaurant looks great as you approach--very inviting. The hostesses were very friendly, very welcoming, and very passionate about the food and the restaurant. The atmosphere is very relaxed, pleasant, and convivial. The server had a large area to cover, but she pulled it off with aplomb. A manager (owner? partner?) was circulating among the diners, conversing, filling water, clearing plates. Even better than all that was the food. It was fresh, delicious, and beautiful. You should not miss out on the experience.

Visited August 2013