“Disappointing” 3 of 5 stars

Dining options: Dinner, Reservations, Late Night
San Francisco, California
“Disappointing”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 19, 2014

We were encouraged by our hotel to try this place out, as it is so popular. We went for a nice dinner for 2 and enjoyed the atmosphere. However, the food was not as good as we were told. I ordered a soup which was supposed to be spicy, but it was way too spicy and I nearly choked on it. I eat a lot of spicy Indian food, so I am not new to spice, but this was way too much for a soup.
The rest of the meal was ok, nothing noteworthy.

Visited November 2014

Santa Rosa, California
“Favorite Dinner”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 19, 2014

Our third trip to the Flying Fish in Carmel, our favorite meal during our visit. The mood is casual with booths that give a private feel. The food is obviously mostly seafood but with a Japanese touch. Everything I've ever eaten there has been delicious such as nut crusted sea bass over potatoes surrounded by a broth with cabbage--tasted so much more exciting than my description makes it sound. Will definitely return.

Visited December 2014
Denver, Colorado
“Extraordinary...”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2014

This was truly a remarkable meal. The service was exceptional, they provide a respectable wine list and the meal was amazing. The restaurant has a warm ambience, appearing rustic but very comfortable. The spicy tuna tartare and tempura prawns were lovely starters, we ordered the black bean halibut and almond-crusted sea bass and swapped plates halfway so we could both enjoy the flavors. The creme brulee was a fine finish to the meal, served with a candle as it was my wife's birthday. It's essential to make reservations well in advance, as we saw several people turned away as all tables were full. We will happily return to this restaurant whenver possible. Highly recommended!

• Visited October 2014
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Encinitas, California
“Flying Fish is a great part of a visit to Carmel”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2014

We live in San Diego, so are no strangers to good sea food. The halibut I had at Flying Fish Grill was probably the best I've ever had. Also adding to the experience was a delightful host and wait staff. I love the way they've broken the restaurant into little intimate 4-table alcoves. I highly recommend this restaurant.

• Visited November 2014
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
“Flying Fish flies above the rest”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 8, 2014

Delicious, imaginative food from the complimentary fried wonton squares with fruity salsa to the ahi tuna tartar, excellently prepared Alaskan cod
Creme brullee with berry garnishes -- one of best we've ever had (who knew in a Japanese restaurant!)
Service: outstanding; one of best servers I've ever had; attentive but not overbearing, authentic, friendly. hostess/owner welcoming.
Ambiance: cozy, nice booths, sufficiently private and not cramped

• Visited December 2014