“Personal touch / Chef owner” 5 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Seafood
Good for: Romance, Local cuisine, Special occasions, Entertaining clients
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations, Late Night
La Habra, California
“Personal touch / Chef owner”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2014

Had New Year eve dinner at this quaint restaurant in Carmel.

We had reservations and were seated promptly upon arrival. We were seated in a semi private alcove with 2 tables. Our server immediately greeted us and asked for our drink requests. My daughter asked for apple juice ( which they did not have ) and my wife asked for ginger ale ( which they did not have ). Our server then went out to purchase these 2 items at a local store... I have not ever had this happen in Los Angeles where I live. I was impressed!

Unfortunately, we were seated next to a very loud table ( some might call obnoxious ). Normally, this would affect my enjoyment of the meal and evening. However, the owned made the situation very acceptable. He made regular visits to our table to lighten up the mood. Also, our server was great... food and beverage service was impeccable. We ordered 3 different fish dishes ( sea bass, salmon, and ahi). Each was superbly prepared.

I enjoy dinners at restaurants where the owner is committed to excellence. Flying Fish fits into this category!

• Visited December 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere

Miami, Florida
“Only a dedicated owner can insure this kind of quality”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2014 via mobile

Small, subdued elegance, privacy, cozy with the owner and his wife over seeing everything make for great service and a wonderful place to eat. All this sets the stage for a great eating experience.
We had the Carmel Valley mixed greens salad, fresh& delicious and the California tower, great Dungess crab entre. Followed by the black bean halibut, very juicy, with great flavor. Also the Alasken black cod, oh so tender and we'll prepared.
All this with great service under the watchful eye of the owners, Tina & Carrie. Can't go wrong with a restaurant that has been in business for over 30 years and the owner there everyday!

Visited January 2014
Santa Rosa, California
“still great duck”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2014

My husband had the duck and a vegetable soup both of which he swears were wonderful. I was not so lucky. I had the portabella fritters which were heavily battered slices of portabella mushroom.
I had to peel off the crust to eat. The troutI had was stuffed with basil and not very tasty, just a lot of basil. Both of my dishes were very heavy handed. To my waitresses credit she saw how unappetizing the fritters were and took it off the bill without my complaining. If you pick up a brochure on the place and bring it in you get a free appetizer. My husbands soup qualified.
I would go back again, just be more careful in my ordering.

Visited January 2014
Upland, California, United States
“Delish”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2014

Great food, creatively prepared, well-presented.

Good, friendly service. Quaint atmosphere.

Nicely private booths.

Not an extensive, but a wide-ranging wine list.

• Visited December 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Zurich, Switzerland
“So good I thought about the steamed halibut for 3 years!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2014

We ate here 3 years ago and were lucky enough to return on this visit! Wow, the food is fantastic and the staff work together like a well oiled machine. I started with the local artichoke and my daughter the crab salad. Everything tasted fresh and was beautifully presented. For the main course I again ordered the steamed halibut which is melt in your mouth delicious! For dessert they created a tester of the green tea ice cream, and coconut and mango sorbets. Light and palate cleansing.
While we were there another table had a birthday and the owner played his ukulele and the staff sang Happy Birthday, a nice touch! We chatted with the host and his wife after dinner and not only are the consummate hosts but they are kind people as well!
A super dinner and a super meal to close our vacation here in Carmel! Thank you!!!
Make a reservation as it is very popular and not large.

• Visited January 2014