“A real treat in Carmel” 5 of 5 stars

Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Massachusetts
“A real treat in Carmel”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2008

I had such a good experience there that my husband and I ate there two out of four nights we were in Carmel. The first night we were seated next to a woman who wore the most awful perfume. It was so strong, for the first time ever, I asked the host if we could move tables. He was so gracious and professional. The food was very good, and the menu had good variety and interesting choices. I recommend Flying Fish. The service is excellent, food is very good, and it's a beautiful area to walk around before and after dinner. I'd recommend making a reservation for sure.

West Vancouver
“Interesting!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2008

Reservation handled well.
Unusual decor. Confusing menu, uncertain whether it wants to be European, American or Asian.
Menu and wine list are both limited.
Service was cheerful and attentive.
At best it was an interesting experience which is unlikely to be repeated.

Hertfordshire, United Kingdom
“Carmels Best”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2008

Great little restaurant. Nice friendly staff and most importantly the food was great with flavours etc ....PERFECT... a must place to eat in Carmel

Walnut Creek
“Not worth the price”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 6, 2008

We were in Carmel in November, 2007, and this restaurant was recommended by several local people. Although we made reservations a day ahead, we sat near the door. The food (as another reviewer said) was very bland. My boyfriend cannot remember what he ate, and my tempura was tasteless and soggy. It was also very crowded and noisey; instead of a slow, romatic dinner, we made every effort to finish quickly and leave. There are so many better restaurants in Carmel, so don't waste your time here!

“Great meal and overall experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2008

I can't say enough good things about this restaurant. We were planning to be in Carmel across New Year's Eve; and, a few months in advance, I started calling the top restaurants recommended at this site. The people were very unfriendly about our 8 year old daughter - who has eaten at some of the finest restaurants in the world and did just fine in Napa a few days after Carmel. The Flying Fish, on the other hand, kindly said that she would be more than welcome and I called back a month in advance for a reservation. When we arrived, they were very nice and we were seated at a table next to a large group who were obviously locals. They were having a great time. We liked everything we ordered - The steamed artichoke heart came with two very flavorful sauces. Our daughter's California roll, just one roll, came on a cute ceramic boat. My husband's tuna was perfectly done, sliced and presented around a bed of pasta. The sauce on his dish was so good that it was like eating a fantastic soup. My dish was a salmon covered with black sesame on half and white on the other over a bed of pasta. It was stunning visually. The sauce was light and perfect for the dish. The neighboring table ordered hot fudge sundaes - several of them - and recommended that we do the same. We ordered the hot fudge over a green tea ice cream. It was delicious. The service was impeccable and attentive. If we had had more time and did not have reservations at other places, we would have come back. It is definitely on our list for next time.