“best food in Carmel” 5 of 5 stars

Dining options: Dinner, Reservations, Late Night
Pebble Beach, California
“best food in Carmel”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2013

this hidden gem downstairs at the Carmel Plaza doesn't seem to have such outstanding food and service - a must for everybody who wants that special lunch of dinner to remember!

Visited December 2012

87% Recommend
Pebble Beach, California
“still the best in the monterey peninisula”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2013

perhaps since the owners are there nearly every night, and the wait staff hardly changes year after year... perhaps this is one of the reasons this local , small , restaurant continues to be the best on the Monterey peninsula

attentive but not intrusive staff, great food and engaged owners makes for a reliably great night out .... i first went to Kenny's restaurant in 1979, and most recently in May 2013; and the quality has never changed, and have actually never had an off night.

amazing

• Visited May 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
San Francisco Bay Area
“Delicious seafood with a Japanese twist”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2013

My husband and I came to Carmel for a short getaway to relax and to EAT! I researched restaurants for several days before our trip, and thanks to Yelp!, ended up at the Flying Fish Grill.

FIrst of all, I have to say that, of all of the restaurants we tried, Flying Fish Grill was, by far the most hospitable. The service was outstanding. Even though it was our first time there, and we were surrounded by regulars, we felt like we were honored guests in someone's home.

After devouring the wonton chips, we had the California Tower. I am a big fan of California roll, but this deconstructed version was beyond belief. Perfectly seasoned sushi rice (not too much vinegar) with a mound of Dungeness crab, topped with slices of avocado. My husband and split one order, but could have each eaten our own.

My husband ordered the halibut, which he pronounced delicious and perfectly cooked. Next time he wants to try the seabass, and said if he had the halibut again he might ask them to put in a little fewer of the black beans. (probably because he is used to a lower-salt diet)

I decided to splurge and ordered the Australian lobster tail ($46), which was served with a delicious curried rice. When the server brought the lobster tail, I couldn't believe how huge it was. It looked incredible. When I put the first bite in my mouth, I almost ...cried. It was mushy and tasted undercooked. I tried a couple more small bites from different parts of the lobster but it wasn't much better. I reluctantly called the waiter over and asked if he could maybe have the chef put it back under the broiler.

What followed is a model of how all restaurants should handle a guest complaint. The server immediately whisked my plate away, and said he would have the chef prepare me a brand new lobster tail. He returned almost immediately with a beautiful green salad for me to enjoy so that my husband wouldn't feel like he was eating in front of me. Shortly thereafter, the manager (Rich?) came over to apologize and to assure me that the chef would make it right.

When the new lobster came out, it was cooked to perfection, succulent and buttery. It was so large that I even let my husband share it with me (since I wanted to save room for dessert!)

Although I was beyond full, I was determined to order the tempura banana fritter, hot caramel sundae, and I was not disappointed. Both of the tables near us had also ordered the same dessert (in fact the couple next to us seemed to be in a little scuffle about who had eaten more than his share!) so it must be one of their more popular desserts. If you like bananas, strawberries and home-made caramel sauce, this is a must-have dessert, and goes down surprisingly easily even after large meal.

Rich, the manager, spent some time talking with us, and mentioned he has been with the restaurant for 20 years. He is the perfect host - warm, welcoming, and friendly in a genuine way - the kind of person you'd like to sit down and have dinner with!

Visited April 2013
Belvidere, Illinois
“One of our best meals”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2013

The Flying Fish was recommended to us by our hotel and it was a great selection. I had one of the best seafood dinners of our trip, peppered raw ahi, and it was memorable. I guess we were lucky because the desk clerk told us that it usually is hard to get into. I can see why.

Visited June 2013
Mountain View, California
“Disappointing if you like traditional seafood,yet the fish is very fresh and the crispy calamari is delicious”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2013 via mobile

Fresh calamari was awesome. Fishes were fresh. However, the souces of the fishes is not as good as our expectations. Green tea sundae is a good one to try.

• Visited June 2013