“Carmels Best” 5 of 5 stars

Dining options: Dinner, Reservations, Late Night
St Albans
“Carmels Best”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2008

Great little restaurant. Nice friendly staff and most importantly the food was great with flavours etc ....PERFECT... a must place to eat in Carmel

87% Recommend
Walnut Creek
“Not worth the price”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 6, 2008

We were in Carmel in November, 2007, and this restaurant was recommended by several local people. Although we made reservations a day ahead, we sat near the door. The food (as another reviewer said) was very bland. My boyfriend cannot remember what he ate, and my tempura was tasteless and soggy. It was also very crowded and noisey; instead of a slow, romatic dinner, we made every effort to finish quickly and leave. There are so many better restaurants in Carmel, so don't waste your time here!

“Great meal and overall experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2008

I can't say enough good things about this restaurant. We were planning to be in Carmel across New Year's Eve; and, a few months in advance, I started calling the top restaurants recommended at this site. The people were very unfriendly about our 8 year old daughter - who has eaten at some of the finest restaurants in the world and did just fine in Napa a few days after Carmel. The Flying Fish, on the other hand, kindly said that she would be more than welcome and I called back a month in advance for a reservation. When we arrived, they were very nice and we were seated at a table next to a large group who were obviously locals. They were having a great time. We liked everything we ordered - The steamed artichoke heart came with two very flavorful sauces. Our daughter's California roll, just one roll, came on a cute ceramic boat. My husband's tuna was perfectly done, sliced and presented around a bed of pasta. The sauce on his dish was so good that it was like eating a fantastic soup. My dish was a salmon covered with black sesame on half and white on the other over a bed of pasta. It was stunning visually. The sauce was light and perfect for the dish. The neighboring table ordered hot fudge sundaes - several of them - and recommended that we do the same. We ordered the hot fudge over a green tea ice cream. It was delicious. The service was impeccable and attentive. If we had had more time and did not have reservations at other places, we would have come back. It is definitely on our list for next time.

Monterey
“Cant go Wrong”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2007

This resteraunt is a partial employee owned establishment and in my opinion is really what makes this place stand out. Our waited was great and provided the perfect balance of coversation and space. I had conversations with two servers and they were equally impressive. Very knowledgable and inquiring. They start everyone out with a mango salsa and chips (great) and the meals are moderatly priced as well as the wine list. This is a great place to take family or firends visiting from afar. Tucked in to the heart of carmel, if you are in the mood for california fusion please try this place. You will quickly become a fan!

San Francisco
“Good but read false reveiws”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2007

My husband and I went there to celebrate our 10th anniversary. I had read many reviews on this restaurant before I decided to book it. Many people said this is the most romantic restaurant in Carmel. Well, its not! Its also not as cheap as is stated on many reveiws but I didn't care about that. We were there to celebrate. The appetizers were mediocre, however the main courses we had were the specials for the night, were both extremely good. My husband was overjoyed to find Abalone on the menu and even more excited to discover that is was cooked to perfection. All in all, we enjoyed our visit, its just wasn't romantic!