“Good but read false reveiws” 3 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Seafood
Good for: Romance, Local cuisine, Special occasions, Entertaining clients
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations, Late Night
San Francisco
“Good but read false reveiws”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2007

My husband and I went there to celebrate our 10th anniversary. I had read many reviews on this restaurant before I decided to book it. Many people said this is the most romantic restaurant in Carmel. Well, its not! Its also not as cheap as is stated on many reveiws but I didn't care about that. We were there to celebrate. The appetizers were mediocre, however the main courses we had were the specials for the night, were both extremely good. My husband was overjoyed to find Abalone on the menu and even more excited to discover that is was cooked to perfection. All in all, we enjoyed our visit, its just wasn't romantic!

87% Recommend
Ann Arbor
“Great dinner”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2007

Outstanding dinner. Flying Fish does a great job of bringing Asian cuisine into the Carmel ambiance. Tucked away on the basement level of the Carmel Mall, but well worth the effort to find it. Innovative dishes, quality ingredients and excellent service. We had a seafood soup that was really memorable.

San Francisco, California
“Asian Food Haven in Carmel”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2007

I was looking for good Asian cuisine in Carmel by the Sea, and I was surprised at the limited choices. I went with a group of friends to celebrate a special occasion, and I wanted our dinner to be perfect. Well, Flying Fish Grill was the perfect choice. Relaxed atmosphere, good ambiance, terrific service and excellent food. Don't miss the beef rolls with green onions, deep fried oysters, seabass and lobster. This will definitely be on our list whenever we visit Carmel.

North Hollywood, California
“Highly Recommended”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2007

Highly Recommended!!! - jeanlwest
We recently went up to Carmel for the weekend and wanted to take my inlaws there to eat, who were visiting us from Japan. We very stupidly went to the Flying Fish restaurant without reservations ahead of time. The owner Kenny was very gracious and let us in anyway and gave us a great table to boot. The food was great, the wait staff was excellent. We were there for a good hour and a half and they fussed over us constantly making sure we were happy and had everything we needed. I had a hard time deciding between their signature shrimp curry soup and the tuna sashimi dish, I finally settled on the shrimp curry soup which I had no regrets about whatsoever. I had gotten up to use the bathroom and when I came back, the waiter had brought us a plate of the fresh tuna sashimi complimentary of the owner. It was extremely generous of them and showed a lot of class. You will not be disappointed, if you want to impress someone, take them here, you will be glad you did!

Reston, VA
“Excellent experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2007

I was in Carmel for one night on business back in April 2007. I was referred to the FF Grill by a local. The food was fantastic. The ambience is a little mellow, the lighting slightly dark and the decor kind of Japanese/California beachy - like the food, more of a 'fusion' experience. I had a fish dish with many wonderfully subtle flavors and a great moderately priced Cabernet. I didn't want to be bowled over by tons of intense flavors (most fish flavors are pretty subtle to begin with) so it was perfect! The service was fine, no complaints. I ate alone, had an appetizer, main course, glass of wine, and a desert and my meal came to $45 before tip. Enjoy!