“Asian Food Haven in Carmel” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #3 of 127 Restaurants in Carmel
Good for: Business meetings, Romantic, Special occasions, Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Reservations, Seating, Waitstaff
San Francisco, California
“Asian Food Haven in Carmel”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2007

I was looking for good Asian cuisine in Carmel by the Sea, and I was surprised at the limited choices. I went with a group of friends to celebrate a special occasion, and I wanted our dinner to be perfect. Well, Flying Fish Grill was the perfect choice. Relaxed atmosphere, good ambiance, terrific service and excellent food. Don't miss the beef rolls with green onions, deep fried oysters, seabass and lobster. This will definitely be on our list whenever we visit Carmel.

2 Thank diamondback07

North Hollywood, California
“Highly Recommended”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2007

Highly Recommended!!! - jeanlwest
We recently went up to Carmel for the weekend and wanted to take my inlaws there to eat, who were visiting us from Japan. We very stupidly went to the Flying Fish restaurant without reservations ahead of time. The owner Kenny was very gracious and let us in anyway and gave us a great table to boot. The food was great, the wait staff was excellent. We were there for a good hour and a half and they fussed over us constantly making sure we were happy and had everything we needed. I had a hard time deciding between their signature shrimp curry soup and the tuna sashimi dish, I finally settled on the shrimp curry soup which I had no regrets about whatsoever. I had gotten up to use the bathroom and when I came back, the waiter had brought us a plate of the fresh tuna sashimi complimentary of the owner. It was extremely generous of them and showed a lot of class. You will not be disappointed, if you want to impress someone, take them here, you will be glad you did!

2 Thank JLWW65
Reston, VA
“Excellent experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2007

I was in Carmel for one night on business back in April 2007. I was referred to the FF Grill by a local. The food was fantastic. The ambience is a little mellow, the lighting slightly dark and the decor kind of Japanese/California beachy - like the food, more of a 'fusion' experience. I had a fish dish with many wonderfully subtle flavors and a great moderately priced Cabernet. I didn't want to be bowled over by tons of intense flavors (most fish flavors are pretty subtle to begin with) so it was perfect! The service was fine, no complaints. I ate alone, had an appetizer, main course, glass of wine, and a desert and my meal came to $45 before tip. Enjoy!

4 Thank manutdchampions
Decatur, GA
“Great food and atmosphere”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2007

We really liked this place. Tried the California Roll as and app, and it was great. We were also very happy with the atmosphere--the place was hopping, but still was not too loud.

San Diego
“Good but not great”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2007

This restaurant is in a great location in Carmel however the food is less than desirable. My husband and I waited quite a while for our dinners and unfortunately, it was not worth the wait. The food was bland and had very little spices used. It tasted like something we could have made at home. We expected more from a seafood restaurant in such a wonderful town. There are many other restaurants in the area that are so much better than this one. I would not lose a chance to try a better restaurant in Carmel; don't waste your time here.