“A Disappointing Bait and Switch” 2 of 5 stars

2.0 of 5 Inn   |   Monte Verde St at Ocean Avenue, #831, Carmel, CA 93921   |
Ranked #18 of 28 Carmel B&B and Inns
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Aspen, Colorado
“A Disappointing Bait and Switch”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2009

After reading the reviews of the Monte Verde Inn here on Trip Advisor, I made a reservation and we were eagerly looking forward to celebrating our 20th anniversary there in Carmel. Even though my funds are a bit tight right now, I splurged on a king-sized room with a fireplace.

What I got was a cramped queen-sized bed in a very noisy room, much in need of repair. There was no fireplace, and the view from the window was of a row of cars from which people came and went at all hours of the night. There was no soundproofing, and we could hear all the details of the business calls our upstairs neighbor made on his cellphone.

Whether the Monte Verde was nice or not I may never know, because although that's what I reserved, what I got was a room in a glorified Motel 6 type place across the street that the Monte Verde had acquired. When I complained about being charged a king-sized price for this modest room, the elderly man on the desk initially told me that the kings and queens were the same price. Not! I had to show him the hotel's listing on the web to convince him otherwise.

Although I won that argument, and paid less, I surely got less too. No fireplace, no quiet, no romance. While leaving, I encouraged the manager to send the handyman over to secure the light bar in the bathroom, fix the bedside lamps (that tilted sideways and fell over when you touched them), mend the broken shutters and put the handle back on the bathtub tap after it fell off. I hope they will do that - and while they are at it, they could really improve that breakfast. A factory packaged muffin, a cold hard-boiled egg and a carton of Dannon yogurt don't make much of a breakfast in my opinion.

It's a great location, and the main hotel looked nice - but this annex shouldn't be called the Monte Verde at all.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (52)
Bay Area California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2009

Overpriced at $170 for a mildew smelling tiny box. Leaf blowers and vacuum wakes you. Breakfast is cold, dead croissant, aspartame filled yogurt, plastic bottle of juice. Shower is plastic insert. 4 huge pillows take all closet space.

Reston, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2009

My wife and I stayed there a week ago and absolutely loved it. We stayed in the petite and very comfortable room at the top of the stairs and around the back. It was so quiet too. There are some great touches like robes and complimentary sherry. The room comes equipped with a small refrigerator and complimentary water bottles. They even delivered a small breakfast basket to our room in the morning. The location is unbeatable too. You can walk to everything. We also booked via United Airlines Mileage Plus. I was very pleased with the rate, but even more so with the room and friendly service. We can't wait to go back!!!

London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2009

We were so pleasantly surprised with our stay at Monte Verde Inn. For starters Carmel is stunning, peaceful and has great art and food. We stayed at the Monte Verde Inn for just one night on a road trip through California. Our room was compact but beautiful. Presentation was fabulous and we had a free bottle of sherry in our room. The bathroom was lovely!! We found the staff to be friendly and had a lovely nights sleep.

The other lovely thing was that breakfast of muffins, yoghurt and boiled eggs was delivered to our door in a basket in the morning...

Really recommend this place for couples. Would definately stay here again.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
Turlock, CA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2009

I had the priviledge of staying the Monte Verde Inn in Carmel. When we checked in the gentleman at the desk was very nice and helpful. We had a comfortable suite with 2 queen beds and a little extra room with a daybed. My 4-year old daughter enjoyed the extra little room, she thought it was fun to have her own bed. The room was very large and the bathroom was exuisite. It a had a huge soaking tub and a spacious shower. In the morning they delivered a basket of yogurt, muffins, boiled eggs, and juice.The lady at the desk when we checked out was also extremely helpful and kind. The stay at the Monte Verde was just perfect. It was in a great location and a quiet place to stay.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with family
sacramento, ca
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2009

My husband and I stayed in room #9 which was small, but perfectly fine for us for only 2 nights. I think all of the rooms are remodeled which is a plus - ours had a pretty nice bathroom complete with a large shower and separate whirlpool tub. The location of the inn is great, right off Ocean Ave so close to all restaurants, shops, and the beach. I would note that it does share a deck area with another room, which was fine with us because the couple we stayed next too were very nice. Also, since it is right off the main street in Carmel, it isn't the most quiet and peaceful location in the area but we preferred it because it allowed us to walk everywhere.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
california
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2009

I would totally recommend this inn it is so close to the ocean and real close to shopping. I loved the location for sure and the people at the desk are the most friendly and they were so helpful with places to go and things to do Vicky at the front was the best

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with family

Been to Monte Verde Inn? Share your experiences!