“Great service” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #13 of 28 Carmel B&B and Inns
Horsham, United Kingdom
“Great service”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 1, 2011 via mobile

Stayed at the Adobe with my wife and two young children. The hotel was in a great location, the room was huge and clean. The family loved the breakfast brought to the room each morning. The manager and all staff where extremely courteous and helpful.

My only negative read that our room, number 39, was directly above the swing door of the restaurant below and the door would bang from 7am while breakfast was being prepared

• Stayed April 2011

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (68)
USA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2011

We stayed in a 2 bedroom suite. It was huge. Perfect for a family. One BR had king bed, second had 2 queens. Each had a bathroom and a terrace. The room was clean and reasonably modern. The beds were comfortable. We were on 2d floor and did not hear any noise. The service was good. Nothing "above and beyond", but friendly and helpful. The location is perfect. Why 4 stars rather than 5? Close call, but: (1) they start breakfast service at 8:30 a.m. -- should be available earlier -- most hotels/inns would start at 7 or thereabout; (2) one of the two balconies was covered with cobwebs. They should keep the balconies relatively clean; and (3) they had a special advertised price but did not offer me that price until I asked for it specifically -- instead they initially quoted the higher rack rate -- I would prefer that when I call a hotel and enquire about rates, I am offered the lowest available rates. HOWEVER, these are relatively minor issues and I would gladly stay at this property again. For a family who wants a good location and lots of space, it is a great choice.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled with family
Vacaville, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2011

We really were impressed to find this lovely Inn in downtown Carmel. Very clean, well appointed rooms and wonderful friendly staff. The breakfast brought to our room was delicious. Highly recommend!

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
San Jose, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2011

I wish I had read some of the negative reviews before my boyfriend and I decided to stay here. First off, they charge you ahead of time before you even get there. We decided to splurge and get the king size room with the fireplace and balcony. Apparently, the room's fireplace was not working at hadn't been working all week. This was confirmed only AFTER we had checked in and got settled into the room.

I asked why no one had told us about this ahead a time. (At least we could have decided if we wanted to stay and pay for a room with a broken fireplace or find other accommodations.) It was too late to race around town and find alternate accommodations, so we stayed. Plus, we had already been charged and it was non-refundable. I asked if we could get a portion of our money back - since we paid extra for a room with a non-working fireplace. We were not given a discount. I asked to speak with the manager. No luck there either. While my boyfriend and I were still staying there, I kept asking for resolution. I requested a call back from the manager during and after our stay. No one has called back. I've called them back several times since - the manager is either on his day off, coming in late, or at "lunch". Obviously they are just hoping we tire ourselves out and give up. (And as I write this, I must say I can't muster the energy to call back and get the next lame excuse.)

We were so disappointed - as we were really looking forward to a romantic little getaway. The fireplace situation was very disappointing, but the part that really upset me the most was their false advertising, unwillingness to make a wrong situation right, and complete lack of concern for the entire matter. DON'T STAY HERE!!!!!

Room Tip: Don't stay here!
  • Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
Santa Barbara, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2011

I have never written a review but this hotel just needs to be acknowledged. It looks like no where I would stop but inside and it's location are the best I could find for the price in Carmel near the downtown. The room was very clean, LARGE, and beautifully decorated. It had a fireplace, breakfast brought to our room on a pretty set tray, Starbucks coffee to make in the room (alot of it too). view of the ocean, and a bed that was comfortable with nice sheets and pillows. We sat on the little loveseat in the morning in front of the fire and ate our breakfast. It couldn't get any better than this and the price was the same as other hotels/inns that didn't offer as much. The front staff was amazing and so willing to show us rooms until we were satisfied. So I highly recommend room #24 as that is the one I am bragging about. The staff told us about the happy hour right next door and that was great too!!! The location was amazing as it was just a few blocks to Ocean St. and filled with shops along the way.

Room Tip: Look at the rooms and pick the one you want.
  • Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
Richmond, Texas
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2011

When booking online, they want one nights deposit. When you go to check in, they charge you your complete stay (we were there 4 nights) at one time - sight unseen. We paid up front, stayed one night, and wanted to get the rest of our money back - no way- said it was their policy. We left anyway and stayed in a place costing $10.00 more/night that had a fireplace, living room, wet bar, bedroom, and two full baths, one with a jacuzzi tub. The rooms are old and outdated. The balcony had rusted rod iron completely through, view of high tension wires and the sea in the distance. The beds were very old and smelled of mildew. Beware.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple
California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2011

We stayed 2 nights at the Adobe Inn. We enjoyed the continental breakfast delivered to our door each morning. It included your choice of cereal, muffin, fruit, and juices. The items were fresh and tasty. Add some in-room Starbuck's coffee and it is a good start to your day. Our room was clean and comfortable. The bedroom area was spacious and the beds comfortable. The only drawbacks were a lack of lighting in the room. The only light in the room was one table lamp between the beds, a light over the coffee bar, and a small light by the door. There was no lighting for the lovely 2 leather chairs, so in the evening, these chairs were dark and unusable. We were in room #39, which is surrounded by exterior walkways. Both mornings, I swear someone was bouncing a ball against the outside wall of our room. In the evening, we were annoyed by the constant rolling of carts and other noise from the restaurant down stairs. If I stayed here again, I would request a room away from the restaurant. This Inn is close to Ocean Ave. and all the shops and restaurants Carmel has to offer. Underground parking is included, which is a big plus in Carmel.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to Adobe Inn? Share your experiences!