“Comfy, pretty, quiet” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Tradewinds Carmel

You added Tradewinds Carmel to your Saves list
Tradewinds Carmel
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   Mission Street at Third Avenue, PO Box 3403, Carmel, CA 93921   |
Ranked #7 of 23 Hotels in Carmel
San Francisco, California
“Comfy, pretty, quiet”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 10, 2014

We stayed overnight in the pretty King View room and it was everything we expected -- nice view, comfortable bed and pretty (though somewhat small) room. The Inn is up the hill a couple of blocks from Ocean Ave., so out of the bustle, which was nice. The atmosphere at the inn is nice and relaxed and the people at the desk very nice. Breakfast pastries and fruit good and decent coffee. It's a bit pricey, but very pleasant for a lazy overnight with a friend, if your willing to splurge a bit.

Room Tip: King View room does really have a nice view. The one in "Architecture Digest."
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends
sstilwell, Owner at Tradewinds Carmel, responded to this review, May 12, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to write a review. I am glad that you enjoyed the king view room. We do have one bedroom suites if you would like a bit more room. We make every effort to offer the finest amenities from the linens to the bath products. I am glad that you enjoyed our breakfast. We hope to see you again one of these days soon. Our rates are seasonal but the best rates are from Sunday through Thursday nights, if you can avoid the busiest times and weekends. Warm Regards to you!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (80)
Chesterfield, Missouri, United States
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2014

They have a very strict cancellation policy. I recently had to cancel because of emergency surgery that caused an entire wedding to be cancelled and they would NOT make an exception to refunding my money. I didn't expect the deposit back but I did expect some consideration. I don't care how nice this place is, that is simply bad business and lousy custom service. This was something that couldn't be helped and we were devastated. Getting hit $$$$ added to the pain. No sympathy there! Other fine hotels in the area were much more accommodating to the other wedding guests.

Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
sstilwell, Owner at Tradewinds Carmel, responded to this review, May 12, 2014
I am sorry that you weren't able to stay with us. It is very difficult for a small inn to be flexible with our cancellation policy on short notice. If you are ever in Carmel, please ring us and we will make every effort to accommodate you and make you happy.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2014

Stayed here for one night and glad we found this gem. Staff knowledgable of local area and made good restaurant suggestions, wonderful room (see the pics on their website - accurate of what to expect) and great breakfast. Would totally recommend to family and friends.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
sstilwell, Owner at Tradewinds Carmel, responded to this review, May 12, 2014
Thank you! We do think that we are a hidden gem in downtown Carmel. It is nice and considerate guests like you who make our jobs easy! Thank you for the 5 stars! We hope to see you again soon. Warm Regards
Manhattan Beach
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2014

Located centrally and walking distance to everything you'd want to do in Carmel as a business person or tourist. The Inn is a perfect and elegant fit with the surroundings of Carmel. This Inn has a longstanding history in Carmel and has gone through a number of renovations to maintain comfortable amenities and an earthy/zen decor. We had adjoining rooms for our young family of five, which was the perfect fit for us. The staff is super friendly, local, and can help with everything in the area in terms of food and activity recommendations, along with recommendations for food and activities in Monterey Bay, and everything in between. They told us over the phone that the room came with a breakfast and I imagined that we would pass on that and find some breakfast place on the main avenue. I was very wrong on this front. We at breakfast at the hotel all three days of our stay, an if we stayed longer, we would have continued to eat breakfast at the Inn each and every day. Fresh coffee (the good stuff) and a nice selection of teas, yogurts and cottage cheese, a wide selection of breads and jams, cereals, boiled eggs, juices. It was economical and first class continental breakfast. The rooms had everything we wanted and were well maintained and cleaned each day. On our next trip to Carmel we will not bother looking at other Inns online, I'll simply call Tradewinds.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
sstilwell, Owner at Tradewinds Carmel, responded to this review, May 12, 2014
What a sweet review! The adjoining king and double/double rooms are the perfect arrangement for a family of five. I am happy that we had it available for you. Glad that you liked the breakfast and could enjoy it everyday. We certainly hope to see you again soon!
NYC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2014

My husband and I stayed at this lovely inn and found it to be more than adequate. The rooms were clean and comfortable. The front desk staff were friendly and helpful. The breakfast was fresh and delicious. The Inn wasn't super fancy but very comfortable and centrally located in the hamlet of Carmel. I would highly recommend it.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
sstilwell, Owner at Tradewinds Carmel, responded to this review, April 15, 2014
Thank you so much for taking the time to write a review. We are in our 55th year under the same family ownership! We are proud of this since most hotels are now owned by groups of people and there isn't the personal touch. If you have a chance, please vote for us on Conde Nast Traveler
Go to http://www.cntraveler.com/vote/readers-choice-survey-2014. We are hoping to be honored this year since it is our 55th Anniversary! Thank you! Susan
Whittier, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2014

We stayed here on our way home to Los Angeles. Carmel is absolutely beautiful with lots of restaurants/tasting rooms. We booked this room through hotel tonight and am so happy we did! The bathroom is huge and the beds were comfy. Also, the receptionist was very helpful with recommending good restaurants in the area. We loved it, definitely will be making our way back!

Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
sstilwell, Owner at Tradewinds Carmel, responded to this review, May 12, 2014
Thank you for your kind review. Glad that you liked the beds and found our staff helpful. Hope that you can stay with us again soon. Warm Regards
Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2014

First, let me say that I am VERY particular about where I stay, especially concerning cleanliness and customer service! Tradewinds is exceptionally clean and comfortable! We are a family of three (my husband and I and 7year old daughter). We loved the central location ( my husband golfed at Pebble Beach and my daughter and I visited the Monterey Bay aquarium and went to Asilomar). We also went to Carmel Valley. Location of this hotel is perfectly centrally located. If you are looking for an ocean view, this may not be the place for you!!! We considered staying in Monterey at the Intercontinental, and are happy we chose to stay in Carmel! After seeing Cannery Row in Monterey, we would not have been happy staying 5 nights there!!! 3 nights tops!
Regarding Tradewinds being "luxury", well, that is a personal call. The beds and linens are very comfortable. They provide robes in the room. The rooms are decorated with a "zen" feel. There is a coffee maker, "cooler" (Fridge that gets to about 45 degrees), glasses, etcetera. The staff is wonderful and accommodating. I would recommend asking for the the top floor as there
can be noise from the floor above. Breakfast is wonderful! It consists of fresh fruit, all natural yogurt and Yoplait yogurt, cottage cheese, cage free hard boiled eggs, bagels, peanut butter, jelly/jam/butter, cinnamon raisin bread and pastries, coffee, tea and orange juice. My daughter especially loved Sweetie the resident Cat! We loved eating at Yafa, Mandaka, and Il Fornaio! I have been in customer service for over 25 years, and would highly recommend Tradewinds!

Room Tip: Ask for the top floor, as rooms above can be noisy.
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
sstilwell, Owner at Tradewinds Carmel, responded to this review, April 9, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to write such a thoughtful review! I will tell our housekeepers (all have been with Tradewinds for many years) that you appreciated the cleanliness! That is our top priority. I agree that I would much prefer to stay in Carmel (which is really the hub of the Monterey Peninsula). We love our location, too, since we are on a quiet residential street but within walking distance to all of the shops and restaurants. I am glad that you enjoyed Yafa, Mundaka and Il Fornaio. We are so lucky to have incredible restaurants in Carmel. I am also glad that you liked our breakfast. By the way, Sweetie says hi and please return soon!

Been to Tradewinds Carmel? Share your experiences!