“Enjoyable stay at The Tradewinds” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Tradewinds Carmel

Save Saved
You added Tradewinds Carmel to your Saves list
Tradewinds Carmel
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   Mission Street at Third Avenue, PO Box 3403, Carmel, CA 93921   |
Special Offer
Surf and Turf package
Ranked #8 of 21 hotels in Carmel
Sunnyvale, California
“Enjoyable stay at The Tradewinds”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2013

We liked the Tradewinds, but our expectations may have been a little overly raised by the reviews. It is a boutique Motel and they have taken great efforts to update it to a very comfortable level with a delicious buffet continental breakfast (fruit, cereals, pastries, bagels, etc.), and well appointed rooms including very soft linens and robes, modern spacious bathrooms and complimentary welcome treats including chocolate chip cookies, chocolate covered strawberries, fresh orchids and snacks-nuts, candy, pretzels. The Asian-inspired decore was very relaxing and made me feel like we were staying at a spa. I recommend it if you would like to stay someplace quiet near downtown. Also, the staff was very professional and helpful.

I gave it 4 stars instead of 5 because our first floor room was a bit noisy and had basically no view (facing the wall and windows of the place next door). On the plus, with our sheer curtain pulled we were able to get enough light and also plenty of privacy. Our last stay was at the Four Seasons, so I may also have overly high expectations of what to expect.

Room Tip: A few tips if you stay here- 1. Do call them directly when booking. Each room varies a lot by loca...
sstilwell, Owner at Tradewinds Carmel, responded to this review, March 27, 2013
Thank you for your thorough review. Your comments are spot on! Downtown Carmel is a village known for its quaint small inns, family-owned top quality restaurants and unique shopping, not to mention the extraordinary natural scenery. Carmel prides itself on fighting to keep out chains (although there are some). Tradewinds is an inn, and is, what we believe, the best in Carmel. You won't find some of the special amenities offered at Tradewinds in a resort or large chain hotel like Four Seasons or the Ritz. We strive to offer the quality of a Four Seasons, but, of course, we are completely different which is why Carmel is such a popular tourist destination. We favor family-owned businesses that have a soul which is missing so much in the world today. Thank you for staying with us and recognizing our special qualities!

293 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (60)
Fresno, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2013

This property was a nice retreat for us. The ability to walk to restaurants and shopping was wonderful and the nights were very quiet - no traffic noise! Maybe next time we will splurge and ask for a 3rd floor ocean-view room. The only thing my husband commented on was that the mattress seemed a bit too firm but otherwise, all was perfect. The staff was very helpful and kind. We would definitely stay again if given the opportunity!

Room Tip: Third floor rooms facing the west or southwest would be good if looking for a good view. Our room wa...
sstilwell, Owner at Tradewinds Carmel, responded to this review, March 26, 2013
Thank you! We love our location, too....quiet and off the beaten path, but close enough to walk to the best restaurants and shopping. Happy that you were able to relax. That is our goal! P.S. will check that mattress since our guests normally say that they don't want to get out of bed. Hope to see you again soon.
California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2013

I love Carmel, have been there more times than I can count, but can't stand all the cutesy, faux Victorian lodgings with double ruffled bed skirts, porcelain bunnies and teddy bears wearing velvet blazers. Spare me the preciousness, please. Tradewinds was the complete opposite. Its modern Asian style is restrained, tasteful and there's not a stuffed animal in sight. The staff were uniformly friendly and helpful without being obsequious. The room was spotless, the breakfast fresh, and the street quiet. It's our new lodging of choice in Carmel. And even better: The reservation agent was very willing to negotiate, so our rate was well below the web site rate.

sstilwell, Owner at Tradewinds Carmel, responded to this review, March 26, 2013
Oh, we agree! Thank you for pointing out what we are always thinking. We are looking for a marketing/sales manager. Want a job?!
Phoenix, Arizona
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2013

I must say that I am a fairly picky hotel guest. With that out of the way, I loved Tradewinds Carmel. The hotel is small and luxurious. The room was lovely - great beds, very nice bathroom, excellent linens and towels. Very clean. The grounds feature fountains (a bit loud from our room, but it was soothing like rain!!), a fire pit and a meditation area. The location is excellent, as well. You can walk anywhere in Carmel, which was perfect. The staff was nice, too. Next time I would like a room with a fireplace. I will definitely return.

Room Tip: Our partial ocean view was an ocean view out the front window. Not really worth the extra price, bu...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
sstilwell, Owner at Tradewinds Carmel, responded to this review, March 26, 2013
Thank you for your detailed kind comments on what we do our best to offer. It is truly appreciated.
Empire, Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2013

We had a lovely stay at Tradewinds. The staff was very helpful and the room was very nice as well. Rooms were decorated with an Asian theme, but they took time with the details, really making it lovely. Gas fireplace in each unit and comfortable bed and good bedding. Breakfast with fresh fruit and good pastry. Grounds were really gorgeous! All in all, a lovely experience. Internet was a little unreliable at times, but it was free!

Room Tip: In summer, you should ask for a room with a balcony.
sstilwell, Owner at Tradewinds Carmel, responded to this review, March 27, 2013
Your review is greatly appreciated! We are glad that you liked our breakfast which includes the fresh fruit and pastries from our local Parker-Lusseau Bakery. Most of our king rooms have fireplaces. We hope that you can return soon. Warm Regards.
Sydney, New South Wales, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2013

I have read all the rave reviews on this hotel and I'm sorry I didn't experience the same euphoria when I arrived at the Tradewinds. In fact my disappointment was more than noticeable by my easily pleased partner. Yes I admit I am very fussy but we have stayed in some of the most beautiful hotels in the world so I have some good comparisons but I simply wasn't expecting to find a 70s motel redecorated to look like a Balinese resort (but that's my fault for not looking at the website - I'd have noticed the giant bamboo in the corner immediately and clicked to another hotel). The sound of the 'trickling fountains drove me mad' (thank god I could turn off the water feature in the bedroom which just makes one want to go to the toilet constantly) and I felt like I was in the middle of a Sydney thunderstorm, not at all relaxing. We'd just come from depressing grey skies and constant rain in Vancouver and it was divine to see cloudless blue skies in Carmel except we couldn't see much of the sky or the sun from our room on the first floor (no elevators either so you need good arm muscles to drag the suitcases up to your room) so it would have been nice to wake up to birds tweeting in the glorious dry sunshine instead of feeling like your head was in a toilet cistern. The whole look of the 'hotel' annoyed me more and more every day. Living in the southern hemisphere one is surrounded with the 'Asian look' of tree ferns and the weedy invasive bamboo so it's infuriating to arrive in America and Carmel of all places to find you are staying in a pseudo Balinese retreat!!!. I do appreciate everyone is different and obviously the owner has a love affair with Indonesia and I'm sure there are millions of Americans who will never get to Bali!!! Now don't get me wrong, there were some good things about the place as with most hotels ....the beds were very comfortable, the chocolate strawberries on arrival yummy and the staff were delightful and extremely helpful ......however a 5 star hotel without the facility to make a cup of tea in your room is woeful in my opinion. If they can find giant bamboo to decorate the rooms surely an electric kettle wouldn't be too hard to source!! Making tea in a coffee maker is revolting and to have to walk down to reception upon awakening for a cup of microwaved, rapidly cooling in transit hot water just to make a half way PROPER cup of tea is pathetic. The coffee I tried in desperation was disgusting and the breakfast disappointing. 'Breakfast included' should state it is a continental breakfast - and could they just get some real muesli!!! I would never stay there again but my partner liked it ......but then again he's easily pleased....he likes McDonald's and Starbucks coffee!! :-)

Room Tip: If you really feel the need to experience Bali in Carmel ask for a room on the ground floor (if ther...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
sstilwell, Owner at Tradewinds Carmel, responded to this review, March 26, 2013
I am sorry that Tradewinds is not your taste. Actually, a little trivia...Carmel has had quite a bit of Pacific Rim influence. From the Japanese fishing villages at Point Lobos to the Chinese fishing villages in Pebble Beach and Pacific Grove. We always say that the views from our rooms of Point Lobos are the views that inspired Robert Louis Stevenson to write Treasure Island. The history of the Monterey Peninsula is quite fascinating and includes much more than the Mediterranean Spanish influence which is predominant in architecture.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 2, 2013

We stayed two nights at the Tradewinds. From the moment we arrived we were greeted enthusiastically by the staff. We stayed in room 28 and from our balcony we had an outstanding view of the Pacific Ocean. At night with our balcony door open we could hear the fountains in the garden below us. What a perfect way to fall asleep.The room was fantastic, with an incredible comfortable king bed, gas fireplace, nicely appointed bathroom with great bath products. The continental breakfast included some amazing pastries and fresh fuit, all located in a quaint breakfast room with a fireplace. It is located on a very quiet end of Carmel; however, a very easy walking distance to the ocean and Ocean Ave.

Stayed February 2013
sstilwell, Owner at Tradewinds Carmel, responded to this review, March 26, 2013
Thank you! Room 28 is a special room tucked away in an upstairs corner overlooking the courtyard and out to Carmel Bay. We are so happy that you enjoyed it and hope that you can return soon!

Been to Tradewinds Carmel? Share your experiences!