“At last! A ruffle-free, teddy bear-free place in Carmel!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Tradewinds Carmel

You added Tradewinds Carmel to your Saves list
Tradewinds Carmel
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   Mission Street at Third Avenue, PO Box 3403, Carmel, CA 93921   |
Special Offer
Wine and Dine
Ranked #7 of 22 Hotels in Carmel
California
“At last! A ruffle-free, teddy bear-free place in Carmel!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2013

I love Carmel, have been there more times than I can count, but can't stand all the cutesy, faux Victorian lodgings with double ruffled bed skirts, porcelain bunnies and teddy bears wearing velvet blazers. Spare me the preciousness, please. Tradewinds was the complete opposite. Its modern Asian style is restrained, tasteful and there's not a stuffed animal in sight. The staff were uniformly friendly and helpful without being obsequious. The room was spotless, the breakfast fresh, and the street quiet. It's our new lodging of choice in Carmel. And even better: The reservation agent was very willing to negotiate, so our rate was well below the web site rate.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
sstilwell, Owner at Tradewinds Carmel, responded to this review, March 26, 2013
Oh, we agree! Thank you for pointing out what we are always thinking. We are looking for a marketing/sales manager. Want a job?!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (65)
Phoenix, Arizona
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2013

I must say that I am a fairly picky hotel guest. With that out of the way, I loved Tradewinds Carmel. The hotel is small and luxurious. The room was lovely - great beds, very nice bathroom, excellent linens and towels. Very clean. The grounds feature fountains (a bit loud from our room, but it was soothing like rain!!), a fire pit and a meditation area. The location is excellent, as well. You can walk anywhere in Carmel, which was perfect. The staff was nice, too. Next time I would like a room with a fireplace. I will definitely return.

Room Tip: Our partial ocean view was an ocean view out the front window. Not really worth the extra price, bu...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
sstilwell, Owner at Tradewinds Carmel, responded to this review, March 26, 2013
Thank you for your detailed kind comments on what we do our best to offer. It is truly appreciated.
Empire, Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2013

We had a lovely stay at Tradewinds. The staff was very helpful and the room was very nice as well. Rooms were decorated with an Asian theme, but they took time with the details, really making it lovely. Gas fireplace in each unit and comfortable bed and good bedding. Breakfast with fresh fruit and good pastry. Grounds were really gorgeous! All in all, a lovely experience. Internet was a little unreliable at times, but it was free!

Room Tip: In summer, you should ask for a room with a balcony.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
sstilwell, Owner at Tradewinds Carmel, responded to this review, March 27, 2013
Your review is greatly appreciated! We are glad that you liked our breakfast which includes the fresh fruit and pastries from our local Parker-Lusseau Bakery. Most of our king rooms have fireplaces. We hope that you can return soon. Warm Regards.
Sydney, New South Wales, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2013

I have read all the rave reviews on this hotel and I'm sorry I didn't experience the same euphoria when I arrived at the Tradewinds. In fact my disappointment was more than noticeable by my easily pleased partner. Yes I admit I am very fussy but we have stayed in some of the most beautiful hotels in the world so I have some good comparisons but I simply wasn't expecting to find a 70s motel redecorated to look like a Balinese resort (but that's my fault for not looking at the website - I'd have noticed the giant bamboo in the corner immediately and clicked to another hotel). The sound of the 'trickling fountains drove me mad' (thank god I could turn off the water feature in the bedroom which just makes one want to go to the toilet constantly) and I felt like I was in the middle of a Sydney thunderstorm, not at all relaxing. We'd just come from depressing grey skies and constant rain in Vancouver and it was divine to see cloudless blue skies in Carmel except we couldn't see much of the sky or the sun from our room on the first floor (no elevators either so you need good arm muscles to drag the suitcases up to your room) so it would have been nice to wake up to birds tweeting in the glorious dry sunshine instead of feeling like your head was in a toilet cistern. The whole look of the 'hotel' annoyed me more and more every day. Living in the southern hemisphere one is surrounded with the 'Asian look' of tree ferns and the weedy invasive bamboo so it's infuriating to arrive in America and Carmel of all places to find you are staying in a pseudo Balinese retreat!!!. I do appreciate everyone is different and obviously the owner has a love affair with Indonesia and I'm sure there are millions of Americans who will never get to Bali!!! Now don't get me wrong, there were some good things about the place as with most hotels ....the beds were very comfortable, the chocolate strawberries on arrival yummy and the staff were delightful and extremely helpful ......however a 5 star hotel without the facility to make a cup of tea in your room is woeful in my opinion. If they can find giant bamboo to decorate the rooms surely an electric kettle wouldn't be too hard to source!! Making tea in a coffee maker is revolting and to have to walk down to reception upon awakening for a cup of microwaved, rapidly cooling in transit hot water just to make a half way PROPER cup of tea is pathetic. The coffee I tried in desperation was disgusting and the breakfast disappointing. 'Breakfast included' should state it is a continental breakfast - and could they just get some real muesli!!! I would never stay there again but my partner liked it ......but then again he's easily pleased....he likes McDonald's and Starbucks coffee!! :-)

Room Tip: If you really feel the need to experience Bali in Carmel ask for a room on the ground floor (if ther...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
sstilwell, Owner at Tradewinds Carmel, responded to this review, March 26, 2013
I am sorry that Tradewinds is not your taste. Actually, a little trivia...Carmel has had quite a bit of Pacific Rim influence. From the Japanese fishing villages at Point Lobos to the Chinese fishing villages in Pebble Beach and Pacific Grove. We always say that the views from our rooms of Point Lobos are the views that inspired Robert Louis Stevenson to write Treasure Island. The history of the Monterey Peninsula is quite fascinating and includes much more than the Mediterranean Spanish influence which is predominant in architecture.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 2, 2013

We stayed two nights at the Tradewinds. From the moment we arrived we were greeted enthusiastically by the staff. We stayed in room 28 and from our balcony we had an outstanding view of the Pacific Ocean. At night with our balcony door open we could hear the fountains in the garden below us. What a perfect way to fall asleep.The room was fantastic, with an incredible comfortable king bed, gas fireplace, nicely appointed bathroom with great bath products. The continental breakfast included some amazing pastries and fresh fuit, all located in a quaint breakfast room with a fireplace. It is located on a very quiet end of Carmel; however, a very easy walking distance to the ocean and Ocean Ave.

Stayed February 2013
sstilwell, Owner at Tradewinds Carmel, responded to this review, March 26, 2013
Thank you! Room 28 is a special room tucked away in an upstairs corner overlooking the courtyard and out to Carmel Bay. We are so happy that you enjoyed it and hope that you can return soon!
Santa Clarita, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2013

Tradewinds Carmel by far is the best hotel in Carmel! This is our first stay at this hotel and will now be followed by many more! We have no desire to stay anywhere else but Tradewinds. From the moment I called (last minute by the way) and spoke with the lovely Barret to our checkout and meeting the wonderful owner, Susan our stay was magnificent! When you walk into your beautiful, clean room you are greeted by lovely "spa" music playing with the sounds of your own, live water fountain situated in your room and to top it off there are chocolate covered strawberries that were delicious! As a bonus this is a pet friendly hotel and for the first time there wasn't that "wet" dog smell anywhere!!!!! There are a few Carmel hotels that pride themselves as pet friendly which is great but the rooms don't need to smell like a wet dog. Take note other pet friendly Carmel hotels. Everyone at Tradewinds was so very pleasant and accommodating. The grounds are spotless and we felt we walk into a Spa Retreat. We wished we could have stayed longer but will look so forward to doing so our next visit. So thank you Susan, Barret and team - you guys truly take pride in your business and it shows.

Room Tip: No swimming pool by the way - i couldn't click off that tap.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
sstilwell, Owner at Tradewinds Carmel, responded to this review, February 22, 2013
Thank you so much! You are such a delightful family. We hope to see you again very soon.
Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2013

Fantastic little luxury hotel tucked away in the town of Carmel. A little expensive however worth it for a romantic time. We drove from LA for San Francisco and this was our stop for the night, after a 9 hour drive it was a perfect place to relax. Great service from the staff, nice breakfast and very attentive. Chocolate coated strawberries on arrival followed by an excellent shower (i am a fan of a good shower). 15 minute walk to the beach and 5 minute walk to most of the restaurants in town. The reservations staff gave us an excellent dinner recommendation.

Highly recommended.

Room Tip: Ask for a fireplace
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
sstilwell, Owner at Tradewinds Carmel, responded to this review, February 12, 2013
I love your description of Tradewinds! "luxury hotel tucked away in the town of Carmel...attentive staff,", etc. Thank you for taking the time to write a review. Interested in a marketing position?

Been to Tradewinds Carmel? Share your experiences!