“Perfect Location” 4 of 5 stars

3.5 of 5 Inn   |   13th and San Antonio Streets, Carmel, CA 93921   |
Ranked #14 of 28 Carmel B&B and Inns
“Perfect Location”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2014

We stayed for four wonderful nights two weeks ago. We stayed in Room# 23A which is a King Suite. This room has three reading chairs, gas fireplace, kitchen, dining table, and a balcony with a filtered ocean view. The gardens and outdoor fireplace were both appreciated. This property is in a perfect location if you don't want to be in the middle of the village traffic. Beautiful Carmel Beach is 1/2 block away, along with Scenic Drive. In 15 minutes you can walk to town (it is uphill and dark at night, the hotel does have loner flashlights. Staff was very professional, even brought us a sharp knife to cut our fruit with!

Room Tip: Loved 23A. No one below and only half of a wall was shared. Ocean sounds and balcony with a view!
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
ColonialTerrace, General Manager at The Colonial Terrace, responded to this review, May 6, 2014
Dear Mom56CA: Thank you for your feedback on your recent stay in one of the hotel’s San Antonio Jr. Suite, 23A. I am glad that you were able to enjoy the hotel’s award winning gardens and outdoor fireplace. Thank you for your comments on the very professional staff and the hotel’s perfect location. Once again thank you for your feedback and we look forward to your next visit with us.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (77)
Victoria, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2014

Spent 2 nights...it was our first stop on our Pacific Coast Highway drive from San Francisco to Las Vegas. Great staff, beautiful property, clean room, near the beach, a beautiful walk into town...what more could we ask for? We'd stay here again in a heartbeat! Our only regret is that we only booked 2 nights...we wish we could've stayed longer!

Room Tip: We had the queen garden room as they were running a special at that time...well worth every penny...
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear Charmaine P.: Thank you for your feedback on your recent stay here at the Colonial Terrace. I am glad that you found the hotel’s location and services to be ideal for you during your visit to Carmel. Thank you again for all your comments and we look forward to your next visit with us.
Ra'anana, Israel
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2014

Spent 2 nights in march at this delightful hotel. Room, location, breakfast and staff were excellent. A few minutes walk to the beautiful beach and nice stroll into town. Got complimentary upgrade to suite which was unexpected. Left ipad charger behind. Hotel contacted us and arranged to ship to our next destination. Couldn't have been more helpful. Can't wait to return to this charming place. Wouldn't stay anywhere else in Carmel!

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
ColonialTerrace, General Manager at The Colonial Terrace, responded to this review, April 8, 2014
Dear Suzanne N.: Thank you for your feedback on your recent stay here at the Colonial Terrace. I am very glad that you enjoyed your stay with us and found the hotel to be charming. I do also enjoy the hotel’s location, as we are so close to the beach and a quick and easy walk to “downtown” Carmel. I am glad that we were able to quickly return the item you left behind and arrange it to be shipped to your next destination. Once again, thank you for your feedback and we look forward to your next visit.
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2014

We stayed here 22 years ago on our honeymoon. We returned and styed in the room we stayed in 22 years ago and we were pleasantly surprised. The hotel was much nicer than we remembered. The room was clean and the grounds were immaculate. And they were painting the trim and the fences to make it look even better.

The staff were overly friendly and helpful. The continental breakfast in the lobby was better than expected and we sat in the lobby and had our hard boiled eggs, croissants, muffins, juice, fruit and cereal and read the USA today paper.

The rooms were cleaned very early in the morning as soon as you left the room. This is the closest hotel to the beach and even though it is further from Ocean Street the walk into town was great walking past the unique houses and the fireplace smells.

We would recommend this hotel and will definitely be back again.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear Brian S.: Thank you for your feedback on your recent stay here at the Colonial Terrace. I also enjoy walking to Ocean Ave from the hotel and always find something new to look at while on the walk. The homes and fireplace smells are always a welcoming experience. I am very glad that you decided to stay with us again for your anniversary and I am happy that you found the hotel to be much nicer than you remembered. We have just installed flat screen televisions with DirecTV in all the guest rooms and, as you stated, we are working on updating all the exterior paint throughout the entire property. We are also working on installing new carpet and new chairs this year and are always looking for ways to improve. I am glad that you enjoyed your stay with us and I look forward to your next visit.
Atascadero, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2014

This was an unexpected blessing! We had already planned a vacation in the sequoias when it got snowed in and we were unable to go, so we had to make some major changes to our weekend vacation because of weather! Amazingly enough, Colonial Terrace had the room we needed at the price we needed, in the location we wanted! We love Carmel and the quaintness of it all and this Inn was exactly what we were looking forward to!
I called some time in the evening on Friday with a question about the rooms. Online I was unable to book for 2 adults and 3 children because we exceeded the amount all owed to stay in the room. But I called to see if it were ok to put 2 kids and still bring 3 (because I don't want to leave any behind haha) and the gal on the phone assured me it was totally ok and they could even provide a crib or pack and play for our toddler! So we booked the room, we got room 4, a double queen.
We got a confirmation email (before I had even hung up the phone with the receptionist, my husband was online at the same time and saw the email) along with directions to the inn.
Upon our arrival, we were warmly welcomed by the receptionist with fresh baked cookies and a smile!
I would say there are only 2 very small things I could complain about, and they weren't even that big of a deal...the first being that the parking is not ideal. The Inn is located in a neighborhood with small rural streets. There were a row of parking spots in the front and a row in the back. We had absolutely no problem getting a spot, I only mention it because I can see if the place were full it might be hard to find a spot.
My second "complaint" has nothing to do with the Inn, but has everything to do with Kurig! haha We attempted to brew our first cup and our Kurig machine did not work! I called the lobby and the receptionist came directly to my room, took the machine away to replace it with a brand new one (VERY NICE OF HER TO NOTICE...on her way out she noticed my son had his bedding on the floor...because we only had 2 beds the girls got one and my husband and I got the other, the boy was on the floor... she offered us a mat for him to use and she brought it asap and he was extremely happy and extra comfy!). She brought a brand new machine in after she had tested it in the lobby, and brewed us our first real cup of coffee. The next morning though the machine didn't work!! haha But I told the new gal in the lobby and we laughed together and she assured me, as did the other gal, that maintenance would be in that day to fix it!
Our beds were soooo soft! I guess that's not good for those that prefer firm beds and pillows. But for us, we slept like babies!
We had...
-free WiFi
-flat screen with Direct TV
-one dining sized table and one small end table, both with two chairs
- 5 windows in the room, one in the kitchenette and one in the bathroom
- a kitchenette with a sink, small fridge, microwave, and a Kurig, set of 4 plates, cups, wine glasses, and silverware and 2 mugs
- a beautiful garden views
- a delicious continental breakfast
- coffee and cookies in the lobby ( the kids especially loved that!)
We would totally recommend this place to anybody (I already did to my parents)! I would discourage people that are not used to older Inns and hotels, you must take into consideration that this place was built in the 1920's, it has a TON of character, which could be mistaken for being out of date and under par. But my whole family found this little treasure of an Inn to be more that we could have expected!!

Room Tip: Room 4 was an end unit with neighbors on only one side (the side that had the bathroom and kitchenet...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
Dear Becky S.: Wow, is all I can say after reading your feedback. I am very happy that your family fell in love with the Colonial Terrace and everything we have to offer. Thank you for your very detailed review on your visit. I am very glad that you found the room to be everything your family needed while you visited Carmel. We do hear a lot about our new (and very comfortable) beds, flat screen TVs with DirecTV and many other modern amenities to make your stay very comfortable. Thank you for your comments on the staff, they do truly love working in hospitality and it clearly shows. Once again thank you for your feedback. We look forward to your next visit
Rigi Kaltbad, Switzerland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2014 via mobile

I write this from a room with a view of the ocean, listening to the surf, following breakfast in the center house of this very special and unique lodging. A block from the ocean, and 0.7 mile pleasant walk to the cluster of cafes and shops, this is the best location in Carmel ( well, the best available to a tourist, the residences nearby right on the ocean are amazing). The other reviews accurately describe the numerous pleasant features of this inn, although I think the gardens deserve special praise too. I just wanted to give an example of what others have described as a very pleasant staff that is accommodating. I mentioned at breakfast that I didn't see any non-fat yogurt ( plenty of fruity sugary fructose versions are always available ) . The manager went to the store and brought back terrific plain healthy non-fat yogurt. These folks are the best. There are numerous choices within Carmel, and over several decades we have been to several. This is my third stay here, and I think this is the best.

Stayed March 2014, traveled solo
Dear TourDeSuisseken: Thank you for your feedback on your recent stay here at the Colonial Terrace. I am very happy that you found the staff to be very pleasant and willing to go above a beyond for you during your stay. I was the manager that went to get the yogurt and I was more than happy to accommodate your request during your extended stay. I also wanted to thank you for all the helpful suggestions you gave us during your visit. We are always looking for ways to improve and we greatly appreciate your feedback. Once again thank you for your feedback and we look forward to your next visit, I will bring the yogurt.
Mountain View, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2014

We enjoy coming here. Less than two blocks from the beach and away from the craziness of Ocean Ave. Staff is great too and extremely accommodating.
So far the rooms we have gotten are on the smaller side but so quaint!
Definitely coming back.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
ColonialTerrace, General Manager at The Colonial Terrace, responded to this review, March 26, 2014
Dear Valontheroad: Thank you for your feedback on your recent stay here at the Colonial Terrace. I am very happy that you enjoyed your stay and we look forward to having you back. Thank you for mentioning how extremely accommodating the staff is and the hotel’s perfect location; away from the “craziness” of Ocean Avenue and only a few steps to the beach. Once again thank you for staying with us and we look forward to your next visit.

Been to The Colonial Terrace? Share your experiences!