“Charming little place” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #14 of 28 Carmel B&B and Inns
South Florida, Florida
“Charming little place”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2013

My husband and I stayed here and we loved it. Charming little place in a super charming little town. Nice and quiet, comfy bed great atmosphere. Would go back for sure. Carmel is one of my favorite towns in the USA.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
ColonialTerrace, General Manager at The Colonial Terrace, responded to this review, December 2, 2013
Dear Besitos22: I am very glad that you loved your stay here at the Colonial Terrace. As you mentioned, we are a charming little place in a super charming little town and I am glad that you enjoyed your time with us. Thank you for your feedback and we look forward to your next visit.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (81)
Nara, Japan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2013

This is a lovely little hideaway on a quiet street in Carmel, a three-minute walk from the beach, an easy, short drive from the shops downtown and in the heart of what seems like an enchanted village of quiet homes and dogs on walks.

The prices have gone up here in recent years, and the ground-floor rooms aren't amazing, but the place exudes a friendly charm and ease that contrasts nicely with the souped-up tourism of some of Carmel's properties. The breakfast here is plenty good enough, the grounds are pretty, the staff is friendly and clearly trying to make you welcome and happy--and the proximity to quiet residential streets and the beach is a huge blessing.

This place allows you to sample Carmel while feeling you're in your own private sanctuary. It's seen lots of improvements in recent times, Internet connections are speedy and, having come here for more than 20 years now, I and my wife would gladly keep coming indefinitely. Here is a place that offers what can seem hardest to find in many hotels--a warm humanity and a scale that makes you feel at home.

Room Tip: Second-floor rooms are far better than those at street-level. But they can be quite pricey.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
ColonialTerrace, General Manager at The Colonial Terrace, responded to this review, November 12, 2013
Dear Spriyer: Thank you for your feedback on the Colonial Terrace. I am glad that you found the staff to be friendly and the hotel’s amenities to your liking. As you stated, the Colonial Terrace has a warm humanity and a scale that makes you feel at home and I thank you for staying with us for over 20 years! We look forward to your next visit with us, the next time you visit from Japan.
Oxnard, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2013

This is one of the kind hotel. Very beautiful and comfortable. Definitely I want go back and stay in this hotel. It has gardens, area to relax and breakfast included. Very close to the ocean, clean and close to downtown.

Room Tip: Close to the beach and restaurants
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Marcos_Albuguer: Thank you for your feedback on your recent say here at the Colonial Terrace. I am happy that you found the hotel to be very beautiful and comfortable. Thank you for staying with us and we look forward to your next visit.
Denver, Colorado
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2013

Girls week in Carmel. Loved the location, the comfort of the rooms and the continental breakfast was perfect! The pressure of the water in the shower was terrific after a hard day of playing with the girls. Highly recommend The Colonia Terrace.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
Dear 4packfromdenver: I am very glad that you enjoyed your girls week in Carmel and thank you for staying with us. I am glad that you found the rooms to be comfortable and the breakfast to be perfect. Thank you for recommending us and we look forward to your next stay with us.
Carmel, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2013

While traveling to San Francisco on PCH1, I started researching hotels in the Carmel area. The Colonial Terrace stood out because trip advisor gave it a 4+ rating and the price was reasonable. I looked at the photos...they looked great. We called and received great service so we booked. It exceeded my expectations. Warm, cozy rooms...Immaculate! Real coffee cups and Keurig coffee pot.
A true hidden treasure;). It really is hidden. A little tough to find in the dark!

Room Tip: Don't wait until the last minute! I usually do and it doesn't work out like this!
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Dana P.: Wow, is all I can say after reading your review. I am very happy that you found us and enjoyed your stay with us. I am very glad that you found the rooms to be warm, cozy and immaculate. The staff does take great pride in their work and I will pass on your comments to them. Thank you again for staying with us and we look forward to your next visit.
Los Angeles, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2013

My husband and I stayed at the The Colonial Terrace for a weekend while attending a wedding. We weren't expecting a 5-star property, and knew we were in a town with lots of bed and breakfast-type places and small, non-corporate properties. The hotel met our expectations of being clean, tidy, comfortable and in a stunning location. The hotel is set blocks apart from the main drag where there are quaint restaurants, cute stores and tons of other inns but it's just one block from the beach, and on such a lovely quiet, tree lined street. We stayed in a courtyard queen room, and while small, the room was functional. There isn't much space beyond the bed and chair, and the bathroom is rather tiny, but very clean and totally useable. There is a fireplace in the room, though we never used it was so warm the weekend we were there. Our room faced out onto a little courtyard with a table and chairs that any guests can use. Every morning, a continental-style breakfast buffet was served in the lobby as well as coffee, tea, and cookies in the evening. Leslie at the front desk was very nice and efficient. We would definitely go back and stay here again.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
ColonialTerrace, General Manager at The Colonial Terrace, responded to this review, October 25, 2013
Dear Alisa R.:
I am very glad that the hotel met your expectations of being clean, tidy, comfortable and in a stunning location. I am also happy that you found the continental breakfast and coffee bar to be to your liking. We strive for excellence at every opportunity and I thank you for your feedback on Leslie. We look forward to having you back soon.
Lancaster, California, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2013

My wife and I stayed two nights for our 17th anniversary. The first thing that stood out to us was the very quiet and peaceful setting. The Colonial Terrace is nestled in a very nice neighborhood and really close to the beach. Next thing we noticed was the extremely friendly employees that made us feel at home. When we got in our room there was a nice bottle of wine and a Hallmark card wishing us a happy anniversary. This truly was a wounderfull expieriance. The front desk called us to make sure we were happy with the room and see if we needed anything. I forgot to close my car windows and they called to let me know. The maintenance staff was very friendly and helpfull to us. We were on our way to the beach and two of the staff gave us some suggestions on the area and gave us some water to take with us. They did not need to take time out of there busy day to stop and do that. It meant a lot to us that they did. We will be returning and would recomend The Colonial Terrace to anyone. We wish we could have stayed longer, next time we will.

Room Tip: Older building so stay on the upper floors if you can. If you have a special ocasion or request mak...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
ColonialTerrace, General Manager at The Colonial Terrace, responded to this review, October 10, 2013
Dear Michael K.: I am happy that you decided to stay with us for your 17th anniversary and am elated that you had a truly wonderful experience with us. The staff and I do enjoy providing the environment for such wonderful experiences. Thank you for your feedback on all the staff and how helpful they were to you during your visit. Once again, I am very happy that you stayed with us during your special occasion and I am glad that we were able to make your anniversary a bit more special. We look forward to you staying with us again. I also hope that you can stay longer next time as well.

Been to The Colonial Terrace? Share your experiences!