“Friendly place, but bring warm clothes” 4 of 5 stars

The Colonial Terrace
3.5 of 5 Inn   |   13th and San Antonio Streets, Carmel, CA 93921   |
Ranked #14 of 28 Carmel B&B and Inns
Arnhem, Gelderland, Netherlands
“Friendly place, but bring warm clothes”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2013

The hotel setting is lovely. It is an older property, and this is what we expected. The rooms were in excellent shape and very clean. The staff was very friendly and the gardens were lovely. Very close to beach in a high end area. The only disappointment was the fog. Chilly and wet mid July, so bring warm clothes!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
ColonialTerrace, General Manager at The Colonial Terrace, responded to this review, August 9, 2013
Dear Wim W: I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay here at The Colonial Terrace and found the rooms to be in excellent shape and very clean. The staff takes great pride in their work and I am glad that you found them to be very friendly. Thank you for your comments and we look forward to seeing you the next time you visit from the Netherlands. (P.S. Sorry about the chilly fog…it has been unseasonably chilly. But I will work on fixing that for your next visit.)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (79)
Fresno, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2013

WOW they really misrepresent their rooms! My husband and I booked a night at this hotel the day following our wedding. We had stayed the previous few nights at another nearby hotel that definitely exceeded our expectations and will have our continued business (for the same price). We decided to stay one night here to extend our stay. First off I will mention the positive things about this hotel. It was only a couple of blocks from the beach. The lobby and grounds were lovely, and the staff were friendly, but stated that there was nothing they could do since they were fully booked, and that since we had booked our stay on hotels.com, they were not the ones who had charged our credit card and it was non-refundable. The rooms online are beautiful, and because there are some positive reviews I assume that nice rooms do exist, but for some reason we were given a cheap motel room you would expect to find next to a freeway, for the same price we had paid elsewhere for a king suite, with a 2 person spa in the room, 2 flat screen cable televisions (one over the tub), an additional full bathroom with another jetted tub, breakfast delivered each morning, a full brick fireplace, and a heated pool, yes for the same price as this dump. When we asked if they had any other rooms, we were told that our concerns were just part of the old Carmel charm. NO, we have stayed in older hotels than this one in Carmel for much less than we paid and had a much more pleasant experience. We were there for about an hour before deciding to pay to go to another hotel. The "fireplace" in this hotel was an old electric heater. There was an old TV, no cable as stated online. Check out time online is 12, it's actually 11. The room was VERY tiny, and the bathroom was the size of a broom closet. At 5'2" my knees hit the door sitting on the toilet, and the shower was the most depressing tiny stall. The sink was separate. Sitting in the room you can hear EVERYTHING in the surrounding rooms, including hearing your neighbors urinating - lovely. It had a stale smell to it as well. There were "beach towels," provided that I would not use as cleaning rags, they were so thread bare. From looking at the pictures online I really considered whether we were at the wrong hotel, but no. I understand each room is unique, but this bad of misrepresentation is false advertising. An old hotel could still update a few items, like their towels! This hotel should just represent itself as what it is, a cheap bargain motel happens to be close to the beach. It was extremely disappointing and not at all what was represented online and what we expected. If the rooms are cheap, dumpy, and outdated, then they should be represented as such, and the price should match as well. I cannot comment on our how sleep was or the quality of breakfast since we didn't stick around to find out.

Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
ColonialTerrace, General Manager at The Colonial Terrace, responded to this review, August 6, 2013
Dear Lauren:
Needless to say, I am very sorry to read your review about your recent visit. This is certainly not the kind of lasting impression we want our guests to leave with. I just want you to know that had we been able to move you to a more suitable room during your stay, we would have done so immediately. We just didn't have the rooms available to accommodate you. I am also sorry about the refund request. But rather than discuss it on Trip Advisor, please contact me directly so we can rectify the situation. I can be reached at 831.624.2741. Thank you very much. Amber Cyran, General Manager
Littleton, Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2013

We stayed here for two nights and really enjoyed the property. The gardens were beautiful and we loved the patio fireplace in the evening. The property description is accurate - this is an older property so the rooms are not very big, but the bed was comfortable and the room was very clean. The setting is residential, something we really liked. The beach is steps away and the 17 Mile Drive through Pebble beach is very close. Morning breakfast was very nice and the coffee was very good. Would definitely recommend this property.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
ColonialTerrace, General Manager at The Colonial Terrace, responded to this review, July 26, 2013
Dear Shelley C: Thank you so much for posting your comments about your recent stay at The Colonial Terrace. I am thrilled that you enjoyed your stay and the location of our hotel. As you know, we are just steps from the beach and I am very happy that you enjoyed the hotel’s coffee that comes from Carmel Valley. We look forward to having you as a guest the next time you visit Carmel.
Littleton, Colorado
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2013

This motel was a short block from the beach, a great location but the pictures are a bit misleading. You really can't see the ocean from the rooms. The room was clean and the fireplace provided plenty of heat. The bathroom floor was old and looked dirty but it was just linoleum that needed to be replaced. The plumbing of the neighbors was very loud. The breakfast was ample - I was expecting just muffins and juice but there was fruit and quiche and yogurt too.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
ColonialTerrace, General Manager at The Colonial Terrace, responded to this review, July 24, 2013
Dear Lawsonma: I am very happy that you enjoyed your stay here at the Colonial Terrace. I am glad that you enjoyed the ample breakfast we have and the newly added quiche. We do provide a variety of rooms and some do have ocean views while others have a courtyard or garden view, which seems to be the room type you had. I am sorry that you felt the pictures were misleading but not all the rooms on property come with an ocean view. But regardless of which room you reserve, our guests can always enjoy the ocean view while sitting in one of the outdoor patio areas around property. Thank you for all your comments and we look forward to having you as our guest again.
Portland, Oregon
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2013

We had a lovely overnight stay. The ocean view from our room was beautiful.
Location is very close to the water and not too bad of a walk into town. They did
a remodel not too long ago - our room was great other than some of the wallpaper
peeling off the wall. Would be happy to stay there again.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Rob L: I am very happy that you enjoyed your one night stay at The Colonial Terrace. As you know, we are very near the water and are a short walk to downtown and I am happy that our location worked out so great for your stay. We are working on updating the rooms and amenities that we offer to guests. Removing the wallpaper in all bathrooms is one project we got started before the summer rush and will finish up during the winter season. Once again I am thrilled that you enjoyed your stay and we look forward to having you as a guest again, maybe this time for longer than one night.
New York, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2013

This lovely, well-run inn is one block from the Carmel beach on a quiet residential street that offers parking for guests (something hard to come by in Carmel). The rooms are clean, beds are comfortable, the gardens are beautiful and you can see the ocean from the terrace as you eat breakfast. A full continental breakfast is provided(cereal, baked goods, quiche, fruit, yogurt, etc), and cookies, coffee & tea are available throughout the day. Fireplaces in the rooms take the chill off the cool Carmel evenings and an outdoor fire pit is open to any guests who want to gather around a fire and chat. We'll go back!

Room Tip: The Garden View rooms are a bit smaller than others.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
ColonialTerrace, General Manager at The Colonial Terrace, responded to this review, July 22, 2013
Dear: Susan O. I am thrilled that you enjoyed your stay in Carmel at The Colonial Terrace. We strive for excellence at every opportunity and I appreciate your comments about the property and amenities that we provide. We do really have a wonderful location in Carmel and I am happy that you were able to enjoy everything we offer. Enjoying the outdoor fire pit with a glass of wine on a cool night is sure a great way to relax! I trust you will be back the next time you visit from New York.
El Dorado, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2013

We booked a suite with a wet bar and hot tub, kitchen etc... We got a small little room. We got a sorry. We could not cancel with out a huge service charge. When asked why the call is a suite when it is only one roam the answer was any hotel room is considered a suite. Furthermore the pictures show the hotel on the beach and it is 4 block from. A complete hype.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
ColonialTerrace, General Manager at The Colonial Terrace, responded to this review, July 18, 2013
Dear Sleeplessness:
I am very sorry to hear that the suite you reserved did not meet your expectations. While not knowing exactly which suite you stayed in, it sounds from your description to be our San Antonio Suite, which does offer a combined bedroom/living area, hot tub, ocean view and wet bar. For the most part, each of our suites does combine the bedroom and living area without a separating wall. I apologize that the description was not specific. We do, however, consider the suite to be larger than our standard rooms providing 350 or more square feet. Each also does offer the ocean view. I am also not clear on the photos you reference that show our hotel on the beach. Each of the images on our website does indicate how close we are to the beach but I am not finding any that show us directly on the beach. We are indeed only 1 block away. Again, I am sorry that you did not enjoy your visit. If you have any additional comments or would like to discuss your recent stay further, please contact me directly at 831-624-2741. Thank you.

Been to The Colonial Terrace? Share your experiences!