“Fair price, very comfy, quiet and clean. Amidst all restaurants and shops” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Carmel Village Inn

You added Carmel Village Inn to your Saves list
Carmel Village Inn
2.0 of 5 Motel   |   Ocean Avenue and Junipero Street, PO Box 5275, Carmel, CA 93921   |
Ranked #21 of 23 Hotels in Carmel
Sao Paulo - SP
“Fair price, very comfy, quiet and clean. Amidst all restaurants and shops”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2014 via mobile

The place is simple. No sophistication at all but it is fair. For USD 79 we were happy with the hotel. Stayed for one night, family of five. Everyone was exhausted after 30 hours of travel. The bed is huge, it embraces you. Silence was absolute, all we needed. The breakfast has sausages, frittata and potatoes. I liked it!
The beach is a 15min stroll away but the walk is worth it as the town is charming.
All restaurants are within les than 5 min away.

Stayed March 2014, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (36)
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2014

We enjoyed our 1night stay-clean and comfortable rooms and a decent rate (79$plus tax). Attention to details was found throughout the room and we enjoyed having a seating area inside and outside of the room.
It is right in the town centre and a short walk from the beach.

Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
San Francisco, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2014

The curb appeal is VERY MISLEADING. Cute flowers pot....but then those are EVERWHERE in Carmel. Rooms are sad, very depressing. Walls are scuffed up and look just plain dirty. I had seen many others saying the same, but I had an old GROUPON that I needed to use (or so I thought). Well, long story short....they bait you saying...if you are using a Groupon per the fine print, you must have a reservation, no exceptions....doesn't matter if they have availability that same day. This happened to me one day as driving through Carmel, thought I'd use it. No deal. "Must have reservation" I asked how much in advance? "At least a couple of weeks". Okay....then made a reservation about six weeks in advance, telling them I would be using a GROUPON. They said, we'll need to see it first, to make sure it is unused. Oooooo-kay...shouldn't be a problem. WRONG! At check-out they announce: "We don't honor any GROUPON vouchers, because we no longer do business with them...that was the former owner!" Oh what DISHONESTY!!!!! The ONLY reason I even stayed there at that cheesy place, was because I thought I was using up my Groupon. I can't think of one reason other than that to go there....and now that one reason was removed.
The breakfast, by the way, was just fine....IF YOU"VE NEVER had GOOD FOOD! Once again, appearances were misleading: Pineapple, canteloupe and watermelon that were without any taste. Boiled potatoes without any seasoning? Some kind of egg omelet...that I seriously doubt had real eggs...they were curd-ly. YUK. I really hate it when businesses don't care about making their customers happy! Dirty, Dishonest and Cheap!

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
UK
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2014 via mobile

Lovely little place, very retro, excellent location, fabulous welcome and check in, hard to fault the place. Bathrooms are a tad tired, but certainly for the money we are paying, not anything to get too crabby about.

Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Redwood City, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2014

WARNING - THE CARMEL VILLAGE INN GIVES VERY POOR CUSTOMER SERVICE!

The Carmel Village Inn, at Ocean and Junipero, is at the edge of downtown Carmel. A good location if one doesn't mind walking. The Inn is a 50's style drive-up motel with upgraded rooms that include comfy beds. The breakfast was slightly better than that at most drive-up motels. They had warm, watery, oatmeal, a few choices of cold cereal, milk, fresh fruit pieces, bread and a toaster, etc. One day there were warm waffle sections. And if you get to the breakfast room early enough you might get a piece of the minimal quiche.

If you are looking for a basic, clean, motel -- without much expectation for the included "full, hot breakfast," this is not a bad choice.

BUT, before you put your money down, make sure you know, and are happy with, what you are getting.

Our BIG complaint is the lack of management caring for the customer. Based on the Carmel Village Inn claims that we would get a $330 Carmel Escape for Two for $89, we purchased a Trubates voucher good for most days in a 6-month period. Unfortunately we were not able to coordinate our schedules with the Inn's list of available days and the special offer expired.

But, during the active period I spoke with staff many times. As the availability period was drawing to a close, it was always pointed out that the voucher is always good for the purchase value of $89.

Several weeks ago we were looking for a location to just get away for a few days. I remembered the voucher. While I didn't want to pay the advertised $330 a night, I thought I would check to see if the rates might be better in the middle of winter. It turned out that, if I stayed away from holidays and special events, I could get the same room with the same amenities for the senior rate of $79.

We booked two nights.

When I presented the voucher to use the $89 paid value against the bill, I was told they would not honor it because, they said, Trubates had not paid them.

I pointed out that they apparently contracted with Trubates to advertise for the Inn, and that is what brought us to the Inn for a stay - so the advertisement succeeded. Further, that it sounds like they had a problem with Trubates; and I, as a customer of the Inn, should not be penalized due to their problem with another business.

They did not agree and insisted I should pay them the full balance due.

Rather than have a big argument at the reception desk, I did that.

When we got home, we emailed the Inn manager and explained what happened in detail. It's been two weeks and they have not responded. So, we are compelled to give this business a bad rating. WE CANNOT RECOMMEND THE CARMEL VILLAGE INN.

Room Tip: Second floor rooms have windows front and rear, while the backside of the first floor rooms in one o...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Sao Paulo, SP
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2014

Large and clean rooms. Very good location, on Ocean avenue. Very close to restaurants, stores, supermarket and wineries. Very friendly staff.
Parking available. Excellent breakfast including fruits and juices.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
Leeds, Utah
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2014

Let's start with the good, the location was great, couldn't have asked for a nicer location to to walk up and down the shopping area of Carmel.

The lobby area leaves a lot to be desired, and is usually a good way to judge the rooms. I was hesitant to stay here, but thought it has fairly good reviews so it can't be that bad.

It wasn't terrible, but out of the 5 hotels I stayed in on my road trip through California it was the worst.

They updated the rooms and bedding, but the pillow still felt like a brick. The bed was OK.

The room was very clean. The smell of cleaning products was so overpowering I had to open the windows and run the portable fan they have in the room, in January!

Maybe I am just spoiled but it just felt like an old small motel room.

Breakfast doesn't start until 7, which I also found a little annoying. Most places are at least serving coffee by 6:30. Had to leave so never got to try their breakfast.

Room Tip: If I was in Carmel again, I would pay the extra $20-$40 to stay in a nicer hotel.
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple

Been to Carmel Village Inn? Share your experiences!