“Smashing hotel & location” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Carmel Village Inn

Save Saved
You added Carmel Village Inn to your Saves list
Carmel Village Inn
2.0 of 5 Motel   |   Ocean Avenue and Junipero Street, PO Box 5275, Carmel, CA 93921   |
Ranked #20 of 22 Hotels in Carmel
UK
“Smashing hotel & location”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2014 via mobile

Lovely little place, very retro, excellent location, fabulous welcome and check in, hard to fault the place. Bathrooms are a tad tired, but certainly for the money we are paying, not anything to get too crabby about.

Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
Redwood City, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2014

WARNING - THE CARMEL VILLAGE INN GIVES VERY POOR CUSTOMER SERVICE!

The Carmel Village Inn, at Ocean and Junipero, is at the edge of downtown Carmel. A good location if one doesn't mind walking. The Inn is a 50's style drive-up motel with upgraded rooms that include comfy beds. The breakfast was slightly better than that at most drive-up motels. They had warm, watery, oatmeal, a few choices of cold cereal, milk, fresh fruit pieces, bread and a toaster, etc. One day there were warm waffle sections. And if you get to the breakfast room early enough you might get a piece of the minimal quiche.

If you are looking for a basic, clean, motel -- without much expectation for the included "full, hot breakfast," this is not a bad choice.

BUT, before you put your money down, make sure you know, and are happy with, what you are getting.

Our BIG complaint is the lack of management caring for the customer. Based on the Carmel Village Inn claims that we would get a $330 Carmel Escape for Two for $89, we purchased a Trubates voucher good for most days in a 6-month period. Unfortunately we were not able to coordinate our schedules with the Inn's list of available days and the special offer expired.

But, during the active period I spoke with staff many times. As the availability period was drawing to a close, it was always pointed out that the voucher is always good for the purchase value of $89.

Several weeks ago we were looking for a location to just get away for a few days. I remembered the voucher. While I didn't want to pay the advertised $330 a night, I thought I would check to see if the rates might be better in the middle of winter. It turned out that, if I stayed away from holidays and special events, I could get the same room with the same amenities for the senior rate of $79.

We booked two nights.

When I presented the voucher to use the $89 paid value against the bill, I was told they would not honor it because, they said, Trubates had not paid them.

I pointed out that they apparently contracted with Trubates to advertise for the Inn, and that is what brought us to the Inn for a stay - so the advertisement succeeded. Further, that it sounds like they had a problem with Trubates; and I, as a customer of the Inn, should not be penalized due to their problem with another business.

They did not agree and insisted I should pay them the full balance due.

Rather than have a big argument at the reception desk, I did that.

When we got home, we emailed the Inn manager and explained what happened in detail. It's been two weeks and they have not responded. So, we are compelled to give this business a bad rating. WE CANNOT RECOMMEND THE CARMEL VILLAGE INN.

Room Tip: Second floor rooms have windows front and rear, while the backside of the first floor rooms in one o...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Sao Paulo, SP
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2014

Large and clean rooms. Very good location, on Ocean avenue. Very close to restaurants, stores, supermarket and wineries. Very friendly staff.
Parking available. Excellent breakfast including fruits and juices.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
Leeds, Utah
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2014

Let's start with the good, the location was great, couldn't have asked for a nicer location to to walk up and down the shopping area of Carmel.

The lobby area leaves a lot to be desired, and is usually a good way to judge the rooms. I was hesitant to stay here, but thought it has fairly good reviews so it can't be that bad.

It wasn't terrible, but out of the 5 hotels I stayed in on my road trip through California it was the worst.

They updated the rooms and bedding, but the pillow still felt like a brick. The bed was OK.

The room was very clean. The smell of cleaning products was so overpowering I had to open the windows and run the portable fan they have in the room, in January!

Maybe I am just spoiled but it just felt like an old small motel room.

Breakfast doesn't start until 7, which I also found a little annoying. Most places are at least serving coffee by 6:30. Had to leave so never got to try their breakfast.

Room Tip: If I was in Carmel again, I would pay the extra $20-$40 to stay in a nicer hotel.
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2013

While driving highway 1 we have had a very pleasant stay at the Inn.
A really nice hostess made us feel very welcome. The rooms are nice and clean with excellent beds.
Breakfast was serve in a basket at the door because there was no inside breakfast area.
They had made a nice special basket for my sons birthday :)
Although I am more a breakfast at the table person I really loved my stay is this charming village

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Barcelona, Spain
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 18, 2013

Stayed here only for one night after our Big Sur route and before heading to the 17Mille road and up to SF.
The place is ok, pretty clean and with huge comfy beds. The bathroom and the carpets are a bit old... But the price is reasonable and the location is just great (city centre).
We also had breakfast in the inn, was not exceptional, but not bad at all. Many to choose and cozy ambience.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the ground floor if you're heavy on lugagge, you'll avoid going up the sta...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Adelaide, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 15, 2013

I booked in here mainly as they were right in the heart of Carmel but I would admit to some trepidation as some of the poor reviews combined with the low rate I was quoted for 2 rooms had me thinking.

I had no reason to worry. The staff at the reception were excellent and the rooms really well decorated. Yes they are small and to some degree a little "worn". They are however very clean and looked very nice. The previous night we stayed at a place that cost me over twice what this night cost for a very spectacular place but for the rates I was charged I am really very happy.

I guess the proof of that is that I would be happy to stay here again.

Room Tip: We had two connecting rooms on the ground floor (15 and 16 from memory). Great economical option for...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with family

Been to Carmel Village Inn? Share your experiences!