“Beware when booking . . .” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Carmel Village Inn

You added Carmel Village Inn to your Saves list
Carmel Village Inn
2.0 of 5 Motel   |   Ocean Avenue and Junipero Street, PO Box 5275, Carmel, CA 93921   |
Ranked #22 of 23 Hotels in Carmel
California
“Beware when booking . . .”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2012

Because I haven’t stayed here, I can’t comment on the actual inn itself, however, my booking experience far from pleasant. I called in May to make reservations for a September trip with a friend. I specifically asked if they had double queen rooms, as it wasn’t showing available on the website. The clerk said they did and offered the room for the AAA rate for $149. I thought that was reasonable but not unusually so as it appears to be a modest inn without many frills or recent upgrades. I was looking at the website while making the reservation and asked if it was the double queen room with the fireplace and kitchenette, and they confirmed it was.

I was a little concerned because they don’t offer written confirmation, either by US mail or email, so as our trip is coming up next month, I called this week to re-confirm the reservation and am so glad that I did. First of all, the confirmation number they issued me was not the same number they had in their system. Second, they had me confirmed for a room with two twin beds – TWIN BEDS! I haven’t slept in a twin bed since I was in elementary school. I corrected her and told her I booked the double queen. She then stated they didn’t have any double queens on the property (um, your website says you do). I told her I confirmed the double queen with the fireplace and kitchenette – “oh THAT room, well THAT room isn’t $149, it is $189. If you want to upgrade to that room, then it’s $40 more per night.” After some back and forth conversation, they weren’t going to honor the $149 rate they confirmed when I made the reservation, so I cancelled it. A double queen room at a reasonable rate isn’t easy to find in Carmel, but I did find one, and it was still less than $189, oh and I did receive an email confirmation with the exact room type specified. Had the Village Inn provided a written confirmation, I would have had some leverage, but without it, you really don’t know what you’ll get until you arrive.

Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (36)
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2012

Great location for exploring Carmel - just off the main street. The rooms are average in size, and the furniture/bathroom is old and could do with a refurb. However, this is probably the best value option in Carmel, and the breakfast was one of the nicest we had in our two week road trip!

Just up the hill from the motel is a great grocers which sells lovely bread and cheese etc. We bought a pizza from there and sat outside the motel (surrounded by the pretty flowers) and ate it for dinner - yum!

Room Tip: Unless you want to carry your bags upstairs, ask for a room on the ground floor.
Leyland, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2012

From Santa Barbara we travelled along Highway 1 through Big Sur along stunning scenery and stayed at the Hotel Carmel Village Inn. The room was of medium size with a king size bed but the bathroom was small. It was clean and serviceable. But breakfast was very good. They served cerals, fruit, waffles and muffins. The Inn was well located for Carmel centre but on a busy junction. The only problem we found was that most of the area shut at 10 o'clock. We recommend you drive the 17 mile drive around Monterry Peninsula.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Ghent, Belgium
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2012

Carmel is a beautiful village and we were glad we chose this and not Monterey. Very guiet village with a great beach to watch the sunset.
The room we had was ok, but the bathroom was too small.
Continental breakfast was ok.

San Francisco
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2012

We went to the Carmel Village Inn because of the location and reviews it received. The location is close to the main street; however, it is right on the busiest intersection in Carmel and was very noisy. Luckily Carmel has little or no night life and it did quiet down overnight. Additionally, no one seemed to notice that it was badly in need of an update. The tub was gold and had holes and marks where the sliding glass door had been removed. The woodwork was in need of restaining and the whole room generally seemed tired. The room was clean, however it had a strong smell of bleach so we needed to open the windows, which made the surrounding noise more of an impact. We would not stay in this location again, especially when there are so many other places that are much better for a similar price. (Check out the Copplestone Inn, Coachman's Inn, or the Wayside.)

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Norway
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2012

The hotel is centrally located and the price is OK for this area. We got a room on the 2nd floor, which is recommended. OK size of room, the bathroom also fine. When we arrived the water tap was leaking in the bathroom. We got this straightened out, but it dit not help significantly. Towels around the water tap stopped the flooding and helped us through. The beds are fabulous! The breakfast could probably have a better selection with cheese and eggs, but OK. The omelette was very good!

Room Tip: Choose a room on the 2nd floor.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Luxembourg City, Luxembourg
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2012

We wanted a nice place to stay in Carmel and had a lovely night at the Village Inn. The breakfast was excellent, coffee, cereal and home made hot breakfast. Also very nice muffins! Excellent location and good condition of the rooms, for that price was the best stay in our trip of the West Coast!

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Carmel Village Inn? Share your experiences!