“Don't stay if you are sensitive to mold” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Normandy Inn

You added Normandy Inn to your Saves list
Normandy Inn
2.0 of 5 Motel   |   Ocean Ave. between Monte Verde St. and Casanova St., Carmel, CA 93923   |
Ranked #15 of 23 Hotels in Carmel
Albuquerque
“Don't stay if you are sensitive to mold”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2013

I have been coming here for years. This last trip was a big disappointment. The room was very moldy. I had allergic symptoms including night sweats, sneezing, sleep disturbance and stuffy nose. The walls are paper thin, you can hear your neighbor coughing, snoring and if your neighbors tv is on you may as well turn yours on without sound. We booked the special two months in advance and received rooms over the garbage. At 6:00AM, the garbage trucks came and we were up with them. The decor is worn in the rooms and the lobby. The bathroom is old and worn. The maids didn't replace used glasses with clean ones. The internet was very slow. This used to be a charming place, not too expensive. At $170 per night for the standard room with all of the issues, especially the mold, it is not worth it.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (83)
  • Turkish first
placerville,ca
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2013

This lovely Inn is in a wonderful location, just three blocks from the beach and one block from all the unique shops and restaurants. It is located on the main road of the Village "Ocean Ave." and it couldn't be in a better spot. I think it is one of the most charming Inns in the area. Uniquely built and decorated with old world charm. We chose a room upstairs with a fireplace near the breakfast room. We accessed it by a spiral staircase (cute), where hanging baskets of flowers lined the walkway to our room (beautiful!). The room wasn't big, nor the bathroom, but they were charming and cozy, well decorated and spotless! There are hanging flowers everywhere, and the grounds are just lovely! There is a pool but we didn't use it due to the time of year we stayed here, but it was sparkling clean and tempting! My husband and I will be coming back here...I think often:)

Room Tip: We will be trying other rooms when we come back, just for fun. But the room we stayed in this time w...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Vancouver, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2013

We spent one night and it was perfect for what we needed. Definietly an older property and rather higglty pigglty but that is part of the charm. We had a second floor room which meant lugging heavy suitcases up the stairs but the sun poured in our windows and it was very quiet. The location is perfect for strolling the streets and walking to the beach. Would Definietly reccomend.

Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Vancouver, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2013 via mobile

I gave this hotel 2 stars because of its location and the pretty flowers on site. The front desk staff was robotic. She recited and didn't look at me once, let alone smile. Time to retire! There is a reason that management does not supply photos of the bathrooms - looks like they haven't been updated since the seventies. The beds are too soft and they need new sheets! Breakfast was ok. I wouldn't stay there again... :-(

Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2013

This motel was was everything we expected. The grounds have many flowers and the place is simply charming. The front desk staff was helpful and sent us to a good restaurant for lunch, not overpriced and good food.

Parking can be a problem if you have a larger vehicle but again the front desk came to our rescue. There appeared to be plenty of street parking. Everything is a hike due to Carmel's hilly location. It should be fine if you're in reasonably good shape.

We enjoyed the library with the perks of sherry, fresh coffee and cookies. The continental breakfast was another plus and there were plenty of choices: bananas, apples, hard boiled eggs, bagels, pastry, juice. The room had a coffee maker but we didn't use it.

There was a very small pool and I believe it was heated, but never saw anyone using it. I would definitely recommend the Normandy Inn.

One thing about Carmel is that the town shuts down early, about 7 pm. No street lighting.
However, restaurants were still open but not the shops.

Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Sacramento, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2013

The Normandy is an old hotel with unusual charm. Depending on the room you get it is quite a maze with plenty of stairs. We booked a deluxe room with a fireplace. Room 110. The location is great! It is about 4 blocks to the beach and right in town.

I will preface the comments to say I may be a bit sensitive to smells and noise. Those with similar concerns should be aware of the following

When we entered the room we noticed a smoky smell. While the fireplace was certainly the culprit I was at how pungent it was. After several minutes you get used to it. I spoke to the front desk clerk about the smell and they said that nobody had complained previously. I asked if they had an Ozone machine which would neutralize the smoke particles. Neither clerk had heard of this. I asked if another room was available and they were able to accommodate me in a nice suite.

The suite was Room 326 which was very nice. A living room area and bedroom. After a few minutes in this room I noticed a rumbling sound which I soon found out was the pool filter that was directly underneath the room. Again being a little more sensitive I found the noise to be untenable and once again went to the front desk. Again they had never heard of the problem. I asked if there was a way to turn the filter off for the night but they did not know how to do that.

At this point we asked to be moved back to room 110 which they did accommodate. At this time the clerk told me that he found out they do have an ozone machine which I do not think has been used in that room.

In any case we did get used to the smell and had a nice weekend.

The Wifi in the facility basically does not work! They claimed that they would be installing a new system.

Room Tip: Avoid room 326 and 327 because of the Pool Filter under the unit. There is considerable noise from...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Indiana
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2013

First time visit in the Carmel area. Normandy Inn is well priced for the area. The rooms are older but very well maintained keeping the charm of the past. Wonderful linens, quiet at night, nice continental breakfast in a relaxing setting. The Inn's grounds are beautiful and the pool area is small but nice. There is limited parking within the Inn but street parking all around which was not a problem. Just down the street from the beach. Wifi worked well. Would definitely stay here again!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Normandy Inn? Share your experiences!