“Service with a smile, when we first...” 4 of 5 stars

You added Carmel Inn & Suites to your Saves list
Carmel Inn & Suites
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   Junipero Ave& 5th Ave, PO Box 1295, Carmel, CA 93921   |
Ranked #23 of 23 Hotels in Carmel
“Service with a smile, when we first...”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2010

Service with a smile, when we first walked to the front desk we were warmly greeted. The hotel is nice,quiet and cozy very close to downtown Carmel. For the price we paid it was worth our stay, manager Gagan gave us excellent customer service, suggesting places to dine see.

• Stayed August 2010

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
San Luis Obispo, CA
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2010

I booked a suite that was supposed to have a couch - the extra room that was large had essentially nothing in it. There were two victorian style chairs with the wooden arms that were too uncomfortable to sit in and a dresser, and that was it. There were no chairs in the bedroom either, so you have to sit on the bed. You could only see the TV from the bed. I needed a desk to work on the computer, and there was no internet in the rooms and no lobby or other area that had internet and tables that you could work. The hotel personnel were very rude about the lack of internet, both to me and to one person who was complaining about it not working when I arrived. They claimed that it was our computers. I had to park beside their office and use my laptop in the car. So they have internet but the wireless is too weak to reach the rooms.

The walls are paper thin and I could people on all sides of me talking and flushing the toilet and running water. Including the people downstairs.

There is no air conditioning and the upstairs rooms were unbearably hot. There is no ceiling fan either. Opening the window gave you a view of a block wall 2 feet away. The cars and buses on the road were noisy, but it was quiet from about 10 PM to 6AM.

The breakfast doesn't start until 8:30AM! This is because the management doesn't wake up until 8:00AM!!! I needed to get my receipt and woke the guy up, and he was very rude, and told me just to leave without it and he would email it. I needed wait in my car until 8AM for them to "open up" so I could get it. I was told at check in that I would receive a tax waiver because I have a special form for my line of work; and then he refused to give it to me, probably because the guy was so mad about being woken up before 8AM.

The bathtub was really small and old, causing the shower curtain to stick to you due to updraft, which always freaks me out. The other parts of the bathroom had been upgraded, and the suite had a wet bar but no microwave. Just a tiny cube fridge that had a huge amount of ice buildup. I did not think the bed was comfortable - it was too soft.

You could walk to a lot of really good restaurants and all the artsy stores, and the town is very charming. I even walked to the beach and found the path that runs along the bluff, which is a really good place to exercise. I am staying at another motel for the same rate next time.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled on business
CA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2010

I was looking for some carmel motels for my 3 day vacation in carmel with
my husband. I found this place and i totally loved it. The room was very
comfortable and spacious. The bathroom was nice and clean. We really loved
it and we are looking forward to next stay in this motel at Carmel.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled on business
San Diego
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2010

We stayed at this Inn during the 2010 U.S. Open at Pebble Beach; prices were very reasonable at $332 per night Wed-Sun and $176 Mon. We had switched to this hotel after two dismal overpriced nights at the Vagabond Inn in Monterey. What a difference! Carmel Inn is located near the main center of Carmel...the Plaza shopping center (at Junipero and Ocean)...its a three block walk to get there and everything is walkable in Carmel. Lots of good restaurants; the beach is about ten blocks away from the Plaza. Carmel is a friendly, people and walking oriented town; art and specialty shops are everywhere; the beach is dog friendly.

The hotel is clean and quiet; comfortable king bed; lots of lights; comfortable chairs; comfortable pull out full size bed from the living room couch; good but small frig that can freeze ice. Only negative was the poor quality cereals at the free continental breakfast room; and there was occasional traffic noise as the police and fire stations are two blocks north on Junipero. The day manager, Gagin, was very friendly and responsive.

Two blocks away is a market where you can buy a newspaper and get food and beverages. Big Sur coastline is just south of Carmel; Julia Pfeiffer Burns State Park 40 miles south has a charming 1 mile long flat trail leading to a spectacular small waterfall; also stop at the Bixby Bridge on the dirt road behind the bridge to get a spectacular picture of the 1930's bridge and the Pacific.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
Wmbg, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2010

Gagan was very accommodating throughout our 4 night stay and really made us feel welcome

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with family
San Francisco, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 12, 2010

The hotel was clean and convenient but for the price that we payed - $175 through "Hotwire Hotdeal" was more like a "Coldwire Bad Deal" or "Hotwire Ripoff". When I bid and saw the hotel we were given, I checked the less than stellar reviews on Tripadvisor, then sent an email to support & customer care(less) at Hotwire, I was met with deaf ears. This hotel would be fine if you were paying around $85-$90. Basically there are better choices.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled with family
California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2010

We had two rooms. We called front desk multiple times after making our reservations online to request 2nd floor rooms. Multiple calls were never answered. When we arrived I mentioned no one was anwering calls and was told they were busy. Our bathroom was a disaster...rain damage in the ceiling over the shower had drywall partially finished; wallpaper which had gotten wet was stained; mold was in the shower. During the night, the walls were so thin, when the kids in the next room started whining about gong to bed for over an half an hour, we could hear them like they were in the next room. Our other room had a TV that would not work. We called the front desk. No answer. We walked down to the office and could hear the phone ringing (we were still trying) when we walked in. Again we mentioned no one was answering the phone to which we got no answer. When the front desk person came and tried to turn on the TV she found she could not get it to work either. She said she would send someone to fix it. No one ever came. Worse than an old motel.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled with family

Been to Carmel Inn & Suites? Share your experiences!