“Wonderful place to stay” 5 of 5 stars

Carmel Inn & Suites
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   Junipero Ave& 5th Ave, PO Box 1295, Carmel, CA 93921   |
Ranked #23 of 23 Hotels in Carmel
Lake City, FL
“Wonderful place to stay”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2011

My husband, son, and I stayed at Carmel Inn and Suites three nights this month. We used it as a base for our exploration of the Big Sur area. We traveled as far south as Jade Cove from this hotel and the drive was perfect. The hotel is very clean and charming. We stayed in a corner room. The room and bathroom was small and didn't have much storage but it was comfortable. Showers had plenty of hot water and the towels were soft and absorbent. The bed was comfortable. Free breakfast was english muffins and cereal but provided a good quick way to fuel up and start the day. It was conveniently located within walking distance of the beach and had a small grocery store just steps away (Safeway was within 1-2 miles). Hotel was close to all sights in the area.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
Denver, CO
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2011

We stayed for a few nights in Carmel. We needed a suite room for our family. The rooms are lovely and cozy. The living room has a daybed, sink, microwave, refrigerator, dvd player, and tv. The rooms are decorated nicely. The bedroom is simple but elegant and is attached to the bathroom.

The breakfast is basic--toast, pastries, oatmeal, apples, cereal along with juice, milk, coffee and tea. It does open at 8:30, which is a little late. But there are a handful of breakfast restaurants within walking distance and a market one block down.

The location is quite convenient. Just a few blocks to the beach and the shops. The manager is very helpful and accommodating. I called multiple times and he helped me secure an appropriate room for our trip. Very easy to drive to Monterey and Pebble Beach.

Two downsides: the internet is a bit slow, but it is usable and free. The walls are also a bit thin, but you can make do. The price, location, and suite more than make up for these things.

I would recommend this place. There are various deals during the off-season on the hotel's website. Carmel is a lovely little town and we thoroughly enjoyed our time there.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled with family
Big Sur, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2010

We were here from ireland and this place just reminded us of home. It was cozy and warm. The service from the manager Gagan was excellent, he made us feel welcome and very attentive to our needs. We will definitely come back again. Thank you.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2010 via mobile

Service with a smile, when we first walked to the front desk we were warmly greeted. The hotel is nice,quiet and cozy very close to downtown Carmel. For the price we paid it was worth our stay, manager Gagan gave us excellent customer service, suggesting places to dine see.

• Stayed August 2010
San Luis Obispo, CA
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2010

I booked a suite that was supposed to have a couch - the extra room that was large had essentially nothing in it. There were two victorian style chairs with the wooden arms that were too uncomfortable to sit in and a dresser, and that was it. There were no chairs in the bedroom either, so you have to sit on the bed. You could only see the TV from the bed. I needed a desk to work on the computer, and there was no internet in the rooms and no lobby or other area that had internet and tables that you could work. The hotel personnel were very rude about the lack of internet, both to me and to one person who was complaining about it not working when I arrived. They claimed that it was our computers. I had to park beside their office and use my laptop in the car. So they have internet but the wireless is too weak to reach the rooms.

The walls are paper thin and I could people on all sides of me talking and flushing the toilet and running water. Including the people downstairs.

There is no air conditioning and the upstairs rooms were unbearably hot. There is no ceiling fan either. Opening the window gave you a view of a block wall 2 feet away. The cars and buses on the road were noisy, but it was quiet from about 10 PM to 6AM.

The breakfast doesn't start until 8:30AM! This is because the management doesn't wake up until 8:00AM!!! I needed to get my receipt and woke the guy up, and he was very rude, and told me just to leave without it and he would email it. I needed wait in my car until 8AM for them to "open up" so I could get it. I was told at check in that I would receive a tax waiver because I have a special form for my line of work; and then he refused to give it to me, probably because the guy was so mad about being woken up before 8AM.

The bathtub was really small and old, causing the shower curtain to stick to you due to updraft, which always freaks me out. The other parts of the bathroom had been upgraded, and the suite had a wet bar but no microwave. Just a tiny cube fridge that had a huge amount of ice buildup. I did not think the bed was comfortable - it was too soft.

You could walk to a lot of really good restaurants and all the artsy stores, and the town is very charming. I even walked to the beach and found the path that runs along the bluff, which is a really good place to exercise. I am staying at another motel for the same rate next time.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled on business
CA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2010

I was looking for some carmel motels for my 3 day vacation in carmel with
my husband. I found this place and i totally loved it. The room was very
comfortable and spacious. The bathroom was nice and clean. We really loved
it and we are looking forward to next stay in this motel at Carmel.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled on business
San Diego
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2010

We stayed at this Inn during the 2010 U.S. Open at Pebble Beach; prices were very reasonable at $332 per night Wed-Sun and $176 Mon. We had switched to this hotel after two dismal overpriced nights at the Vagabond Inn in Monterey. What a difference! Carmel Inn is located near the main center of Carmel...the Plaza shopping center (at Junipero and Ocean)...its a three block walk to get there and everything is walkable in Carmel. Lots of good restaurants; the beach is about ten blocks away from the Plaza. Carmel is a friendly, people and walking oriented town; art and specialty shops are everywhere; the beach is dog friendly.

The hotel is clean and quiet; comfortable king bed; lots of lights; comfortable chairs; comfortable pull out full size bed from the living room couch; good but small frig that can freeze ice. Only negative was the poor quality cereals at the free continental breakfast room; and there was occasional traffic noise as the police and fire stations are two blocks north on Junipero. The day manager, Gagin, was very friendly and responsive.

Two blocks away is a market where you can buy a newspaper and get food and beverages. Big Sur coastline is just south of Carmel; Julia Pfeiffer Burns State Park 40 miles south has a charming 1 mile long flat trail leading to a spectacular small waterfall; also stop at the Bixby Bridge on the dirt road behind the bridge to get a spectacular picture of the 1930's bridge and the Pacific.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple

Been to Carmel Inn & Suites? Share your experiences!