“Compact and Bijou” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #21 of 23 Hotels in Carmel
Inverurie, United Kingdom
“Compact and Bijou”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2014

Disappointed at the size of the room, although it had the usual room furniture it lacked coffee/tea making facilities. Bathroom was very clean but slightly worn. The management was very friendly on arrival but when we reported a bedside light and fan (because there was no A/C) were not working, nothing was done.
What passed for breakfast was also not noted, we asked for no juice but got it for the days we stayed there.
We only paid for a basic room and got it, although we did see another room that looked very luxurious but at what cost?
The place is very central in Carmel. Handy for Monterey and whale watching (recommended)

Room Tip: Pay more than we did
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
CarmelLodgeGM, General Manager at Carmel Lodge, responded to this review, September 6, 2014
Hi, Pete B!
Thanks for taking the time to write a review -- we read every one and learn from them all. We do have two types of rooms -- Standard and Premium -- and it sounds like you stayed in one of our Standard rooms, which are a great, economical way to enjoy Carmel. I do hope you'll try one of Premium rooms some day -- they're larger than the Standard rooms and include in-room amenities like a small fridge, microwave, and a coffee-maker. Some of the Premium rooms have fireplaces, and some of them have small kitchenettes. Give us a call when you're headed up this way and we'll try to find one that works for you. Happy Travels!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
San Diego, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2014

I probably would have given 3-1/2 stars if I could.

We stayed in room 20 on the second floor. It was large with a fireplace, nicely decorated, and had a pretty stained glass window. The first night we used the Dura-flame log that was provided, and it was lovely to have a fire. In the morning, they brought us coffee (orange juice for my daughter) and croissants and a few fresh strawberries. You could request a time frame (e.g., 7:30am-8am), and each morning they brought the food within the requested time window. I thought the coffee (with the real half and half in a little pitcher) was quite good for hotel coffee. Parking was free and there seemed to be enough spots even if you came back later in the evening. The free Wi-fi also worked well (we could even get Netflix for our daughter). Our room had a micro-wave (didn't happen to use) and coffee maker, but no fridge. I guess we could have requested one, but it was not a big deal. There was no safe in our room in case you are wondering if they have safes.

One down side was that the carpet was dirty or seemed to be to me. I wore my slippers the entire time. The other thing was that they did not have an outgoing mail slot/basket for guests. I was directed to go down the street. We tried to as we drove away, but it is was a one-way street and beginning to be a hassle, so I ended up mailing my post card from my home town. Kind of a bummer - hopefully they can add an outgoing mail slot for guests. I don't think I have ever stayed at a hotel where this was not available. Also, I found the location kind of noisy (although I think one day was trash day).

Overall, considering that I booked a week or so before our trip, I was happy with our decision. If you are expecting an upscale hotel, you will be disappointed, but if you think of it like glamping, you might leave satisfied enough. Also, the hotel did not advertise Monterey Bay Aquarium tickets (2 days for the price of 1), but I found that these can be purchased at the Lamp Lighter (or Lighthouse) Inn on Ocean Ave near the beach and that you do not need to be a hotel guest to do so.

Room Tip: Room 20 on the second floor had a fireplace and a pretty stained glass window.
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
San Francisco
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2014

It's carmel people. I live in SF and understand the swankiness people are expecting once they arrive at carmel by the sea. You have to get over it, Carmel has teeny tiny little boutique-y type hotels that are all small and well Carmel'ish. You aren't going to find the mandarin oriental here, or the mar riot marquis What you will find is a clean funky artsy type place where you can sleep on a clean mattress and sheets. No you won't get a veda bath products and an organic grain fed breakfast. You will get a nice nights sleep and a couple strawberries, croissants and coffee. If you want modern elegance, head north on 101 to San Fran, otherwise enjoy this hotel for all it'e meant to be. We loved our stay, it is close to everything is walking distance with free parking. We booked this on hotel tonight and couldn't be more pleased. We stayed on the 2nd floor with a room facing the street with a balcony, I think it was room 15? It was perfect.

Room Tip: Get a room facing the street with a balcony on the 2nd floor.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
CarmelLodgeGM, General Manager at Carmel Lodge, responded to this review, August 8, 2014
Thanks, SanFrancisoC -- you get us!!! Love that phrase -- Carmel-ish -- I'm going to steal that. You're absolutely right -- Carmel is stuck in time. On purpose. No elevators. No air conditioning. No problem! We love that you enjoyed your stay so much and value the same things we do -- a clean room, centrally located, and nice people. And we do get the nicest guests here -- especially from Hotel Tonight. Please come visit us again as soon as you can.
Belmont, CA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2014

Carmel in summer is never cheap. It was a bit pricey for a pretty standard motel type room but cheaper than most places in Carmel. But the room was clean and adequate and in a great location to walk to any place in the village.Our "free" breakfast (a croissant, two strawberries, coffee and juice) was delivered to the room each morning at a specified time. Unfortunately, ours only came one day. We had to call a few times the other two mornings before we got it. WiFi was free, but we had trouble connecting with the older outlets, so ended up hooking it up in the bathroom outlet and dragging a table close to the bathroom so I could set up the laptop on it. There was only a fan in the room, but when you wanted to watch TV you had to unplug the fan. My husband wanted to use the pool, but found it was empty. Bathroom was tiny and no counter space what-so-ever. There was no frig or coffee maker in the room. Most motels and lodges supply those these days.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Hey, jlumurray! Thanks for taking time to write a review -- it always helps us. Sorry you didn't get your breakfast on time -- we'll work on that. FYI, hope you'll give us another try and the next time book a Premium room -- they have microwaves, a coffee-maker, and a small fridge in them.
San Juan, Puerto Rico
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2014

We stayed in Carmel Lodge from July 17-20. Our room was on the second floor (room 21). They offered free parking, free wifi, light breakfast deliver to your room and every night we arrived to a clean room. Fact, the Lodge is not a five star hotel, rooms are of average size and there is no air conditioner, but on the other hand I did not went to Carmel by the Sea to stay inside the room. Also, temperature is cold enough to use a regular fan. We went in July and we were fine. No trouble sleeping.

You can walk and explore the Carmel by the Sea on foot, there are wine tasting rooms, and restaurants around Carmel Lodge, for example Casanova Rest and Hog Breath among others.

You just need to evaluate your hotel needs, for us was location, clean room and bath to leave our things and go explore. And we got it. No complaints.

Room Tip: Room 21 on the second floor.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Hi, Josely_PR! Thanks so much for your input. I'm happy that you value a clean room and our location. We're very proud of our housekeeping staff and that's what I look for when I travel, too! Hope you see you again some day.
Central Valley, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2014

Friendly staff, clean room, comfortable bed, and great location. The room and bathroom were small and the sink had no convenient shelf or space while prepping for the day. The age of the property shows, but it seems fairly well maintained though in need of some updating. It is a great location and you can just leave your car in the parking lot while you visit the art galleries, restaurants, and shops. While we generally don't spend this much on hotel rooms, it's hard to find rooms for any less during the summer along the coast. We would stay here again--and maybe make reservations for Casa Nova across the street.

Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Pasadena, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2014

Clean, but needs to be updated. You can tell they may have done some things to update the hotel but you can tell they still have much to work on. Albeit, the weather was not suitable for swim, they have an empty pool that is quite an eye sore and the grounds can use a little more work as well.

I was very disappointed that we were brought just 2 croissants and 4 strawberries for me, my husband and my daughter. The coffee was horrible; very watered down. We received it an hour after we had requested it, this put us behind. Here's a tip: go to the Carmel baking Co. off Ocean and get the "Arturo Breakfast Burrito" (egg, potato, cheese, green onion, sausage and jalapenos) and a cup of Starbucks Coffee and enjoy across the street on the library grounds.

We usually stay at the Best Western off Junipero but it was booked so we decided to try this place. Hate to leave a poor review, but I call it as I see it.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
CarmelLodgeGM, General Manager at Carmel Lodge, responded to this review, July 28, 2014
Thanks for taking time to write a review -- we look and every one of them carefully and try to learn from them. We are updating the hotel as we can and have made some major improvements in the past few months -- new carpeting in all rooms and we're currently almost finished painting the rooms. We're planning to turn the pool area into a common area that can be enjoyed by everyone, with a firepit. Hope you'll give us another chance in the future!

Been to Carmel Lodge? Share your experiences!