“Clean room. No frills. No extras.” 3 of 5 stars

Special Price
10% off Sun-Thurs
Ranked #21 of 23 Hotels in Carmel
Pasadena, California
“Clean room. No frills. No extras.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2014

Clean, but needs to be updated. You can tell they may have done some things to update the hotel but you can tell they still have much to work on. Albeit, the weather was not suitable for swim, they have an empty pool that is quite an eye sore and the grounds can use a little more work as well.

I was very disappointed that we were brought just 2 croissants and 4 strawberries for me, my husband and my daughter. The coffee was horrible; very watered down. We received it an hour after we had requested it, this put us behind. Here's a tip: go to the Carmel baking Co. off Ocean and get the "Arturo Breakfast Burrito" (egg, potato, cheese, green onion, sausage and jalapenos) and a cup of Starbucks Coffee and enjoy across the street on the library grounds.

We usually stay at the Best Western off Junipero but it was booked so we decided to try this place. Hate to leave a poor review, but I call it as I see it.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
CarmelLodgeGM, General Manager at Carmel Lodge, responded to this review, July 28, 2014
Thanks for taking time to write a review -- we look and every one of them carefully and try to learn from them. We are updating the hotel as we can and have made some major improvements in the past few months -- new carpeting in all rooms and we're currently almost finished painting the rooms. We're planning to turn the pool area into a common area that can be enjoyed by everyone, with a firepit. Hope you'll give us another chance in the future!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
Flanders, New Jersey
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2014

There are a few things that bother me about some hotels and this one had a few. First, it is in need of a serious update. the room was clean, but that sort of gets negated by dingy, old and beat up furniture and fixtures. The front desk area looked updated but not the rooms. Also, I have some difficulty due to back and hip pain. So, the lack of an elevator to the second floor is a problem for me. When making a reservation, I requested a ground floor. But upon arrival it became a problem. The clerk did a good job of managing to get a ground floor room for me which I appreciated. Strange, they have handicapped parking, but no other considerations for it.

Another thing was there was no continental breakfast available. Not a big deal but there was little knowledge by the desk person as to where a decent breakfast was served. We discovered there was a place in walking distance and that should have been known.

At Carmel prices, this was not a good value for the money

Room Tip: Ask the right questions when making a reservation as per your preferences.
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends
Stockton, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2014

We stayed overnight at the Carmel Lodge which is near all of the shops and restaurants downtown. It was great being by all of the shops and restaurants. The room was clean and nice. The room didn't have AC or a ceiling fan. They had a oscillating fan but it looked like the cheapest Walmart special. A restaurant was across the street and you could hear them throwing away beer bottles at closing time which was rather annoying. They said breakfast was provided. They deliver the breakfast to your room which I was excited about. It turns out it was a flavorless roll each and four strawberries for two people.

If your just looking for a place to stay its fine.

Room Tip: Try to get one close to the office. They look quieter.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2014

Our stay at the Carmel Lodge was comfortable and affordable. However, after leaving and quite some distance from the Lodge I realised I'd left my old watch (sentimental value) in the apartment next to the television. My first thought was "Oh well that's it, it's gone". However I rang and emailed two helpful ladies (Lindsay and Stephanie) at the Carmel Lodge and today I received my watch in the mail - ALL THE WAY TO MY HOME HERE IN AUSTRALIA.
Thank you girls. KINDEST REGARDS
Rudi

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
CarmelLodgeGM, General Manager at Carmel Lodge, responded to this review, June 14, 2014
That's so great! Your watch is more-traveled than I am, but we're so happy it found its way back to you!!!
Las Vegas, Nevada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2014 via mobile

Having never been to Carmel before, I wasn't really sure what to expect.

Arrived on a direct flight from Phoenix and made my way to me rockin Totota Yaris rental car.

The people I was working for told me that they didn't use numbers for addresses here so I hit Siri up for directions.

After about a 10-15 minute drive through one of the coolest little beach towns I've ever been to, I arrived at the hotel.

Walked into office to check in as there was a room reserved for me by my clients and was immediately greeted with a smile and a hello.

The ladies at the desk were over the top friendly, helpful and engaging. Really appreciated that. It's always nice to feel welcome while traveling.

Check in was a breeze and I made my way to the room.

I'll be honest, some of the things about the room were a little dated.

I found the room to be extremely clean which is always a huge deal for me. My OCD is in overdrive when it comes to hotels.

Needed to take a nap because I had a late night show about 5 minutes away.

I was in room 1. This room is mere feet away from the sidewalk and street parking on San Carlos street.

It was extremely noisy due to people walking by, parking and traffic. Somehow I was able to get a few hours rest before my gig. I chalk it up to exhaustion. I'm a pretty light sleeper and usually, any noise at all keeps me awake.

I can't fault the hotel for noise.

They obviously can't control street traffic and pedestrians with no volume control.

My suggestion to you is, try and get a room in a different area if possible.

The continental breakfast was delivered and had a couple pieces of fruit, a croissant and some orange juice. I'm not a coffee drinker so I didn't opt for it.

This is not the kind of place I typically stay when I'm on the road. I actually prefer chains that I'm familiar with. Yeah. I'm strange.

So what is it that I like about this place?

Almost everything.

The staff and location made it extremely convenient and pleasant for me.

It's older. It's small. It's not the Ritz Carlton.

And that's what makes it so charming.

I really enjoyed my brief stay and would definitely consider staying again.

I hope I have a reason to come back to this laid back little beach town. Will be calling this hotel for a reservation if I do.

Safe travels and thanks for reading.

• Stayed June 2014
Hey, Michael J! We remember you and that rockin' Yaris! We enjoyed talking to you and would love to roadtrip to Vegas someday to see your show (fair warning!). So glad you enjoyed Carmel -- it's one of the most charming beach towns around, and you definitely need to come back and spend more time here. "Ladies at the Desk"
Jersey City, New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2014 via mobile

The rooms are very comfortable and clean, the service is great, and you can't beat the location. For the price (relative), this place is a good deal. The rooms were probably remodeled 10 years ago, but they are so clean, everything feels new.

Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear D S,
Thanks so much for the kind words, and I really appreciate your mention of our housekeeping team. They work very hard for our guests, and it's nice to have their efforts noticed and applauded. Since your stay we have re-carpeted all of the rooms (well, they'll all be done this week), and are in the process of painting all the rooms. All spruced up!

Hope to see you again soon!
Best,
Carmel Lodge
831-624-1255
New Canaan, Connecticut
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2014

I had a number of contacts with the staff prior to our arrival for recommendations for Easter brunch. They were so helpful and friendly. The rooms are somewhat dated, but so is Carmel itself which is the charm of the place. The beds were very comfortable, the room, and specially the bathroom, is very clean. I was a bit concerned because of some, less favorable reviews, but I was pleasantly surprised.
Breakfast was served in the room, which we enjoyed on the balcony.

Of course, there is no restaurant and fitness center so average rating.

Room Tip: We stayed in a first floor room with a balcony which was very nice.
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with family

Been to Carmel Lodge? Share your experiences!