“Ok hotel with good location” 3 of 5 stars

You added Carmel Lodge to your Saves list
3.0 of 5 Motel   |   San Carlos at 5th Avenue, Carmel, CA 93921-0951   |
Ranked #20 of 21 hotels in Carmel
Sandnes, Norway
“Ok hotel with good location”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2013 via mobile

We were a large family group staying here for one night on our Hwy 1 experience. Carmel and Monterey is absolutly worth a visit. The hotel was as expected. Rooms are large and ok equiped, but they could all benefit from renovation. The kids was not tempted to try the pool, which was rather cool and not cleaned recently.

Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
CarmelLodgeGM, General Manager at Carmel Lodge, responded to this review, July 23, 2013
Papa Traveling,
Thank you for the review. Next time you're in Carmel please come back and stay with us again.
By then our rooms should be looking great due to all the wonderful upgrades happening!
Thanks again.

171 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
u.k.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2013

The carmel lodge is a comfortable old style hotel. situated right in the middle of the charming town. It is surrounded by several other identical style hotels. VERY GOOD STANDARD OF COMFORT. ROOM FURNISHINGS ETC. We had a balcony overlooking the quiet street, which GAVE US SO MUCH MORE SPACE. We were able to have drinks out there of an evening,
Everything in carmel is within 5 minutes walking distance. several restaurants nearer than that.
Free parking on site. Breakfast in with the room rate. This was served in the lobby. Juice, tea, coffee and chocolate. cereals bagels pastries. yoghurts and fruit. We took this up to our room and enjoyed it on the balcony. reception staff very friendly and helpful. great place for aquick stopover or longer. We stayed 3 nights.

Room Tip: on first floor over looking the quiet street. above reception. with balcony. We didn't experienc...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
CarmelLodgeGM, General Manager at Carmel Lodge, responded to this review, June 28, 2013
Dear Littlepatsy,
What a wonderful review, thank you! We look forward to having you stay with us again soon!
Castleford, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2013

Stayed for 1 night. Cost $176 after TAX and I would probably still be writing that it wasn't good value for money if that price was halved. I'm not sure if the price reflects other accom in Carmel but maybe it's just an expensive place to stay?

Our room was okay but very much just a basic motel. breakfast was poor but the Staff were nice.

The pool wasn't open but didn't look up to much

All in all, if its the cheapest place you can find and that's all that matters then its clean and comfortable enough so go for it, otherwise I guess better places await your custom.

As for location I think anywhere in Carmel is suitable as the place is so small

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear CptChunderpants,
Thank you for the review, they are always appreciated. Also, thank you for the compliment regarding the staff being nice, this is very important to us. You are so very correct regarding Carmel being a bit expensive, especially in the summer. What one must always remember is that Carmel by the Sea is a one-of-a-kind village and is walking distance to everything in town. This area is unique in that nature out ways development and there are no high rise hotels or massive sprawling resorts therefore the small inns and hotels need to accommodate a lot of guests and do it with limited space. Again, thank you for the review and hopefully next time you're in town you'll give us another try.
Jeremy Barrett
Volusia County Fla.
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2013

The location is superb. Spacious very clean well appointed rooms. (we had 2) Adequate parking lot. Staff keeps great coffee made all day long in the lobby. We were there 4 nights and the property is more often than not very quiet and peaceful. The natives do get restless (noisy) when the restaurant to the south closes. The things that need improvement are; old tube type TV's & the breakfast food was low rate.

Dear FlaCracker,
I'm so happy that you had a nice stay with us and thank you for taking the time to write a nice review. Apologies for the occasional noise from the restaurant across the street, I will be sure to notify them and see if they can try to keep it down at closing time. Also, you're correct about the continental breakfast, it is a bit sparse and we are working on improving it. Once again, thank you for the lovely review and we look forward to seeing you soon!
Belfast
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2013

We stayed at the Carmel Lodge for one night during a driving holiday through California and found it to be adequate for our purposes but would would not have been happy staying any longer.
We didn't find the lady on reception particularly pleasant.
The Lodge is well located within Carmel but then I think most of the accommodations are as it is quite a small town.
The Breakfast items provided at reception were basic but unexpected and appreciated.
The room was quite small and the furniture a bit over sized by comparison which would have been more of an issue had we been staying any longer than one night.
The Carmel lodge is essentially a motel and an adequate one at that but don't expect anything more.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
CarmelLodgeGM, General Manager at Carmel Lodge, responded to this review, June 6, 2013
Dear PabMac,
Thank you taking the time the write a review; we appreciate all feedback from our valued guests. I'm glad that your stay with us was fairly good and I completely understand your comments regarding the oversized furniture. Rest assured that we have recently changed ownership and the new owner is already taking steps to improve the entire property, inside and out. If you were to come back 6 months to a year I think that you would be amazed and impressed with the changes. My utmost apologies regarding the unfriendly lady at reception, I will be sure that everyone reads your review and understands that this is not acceptable. Thank you again for the review and I hope that you come back and see again soon.
Sacramento, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2013

My mother and I had an enjoyable stay here this past weekend. The room was large, with a large bathroom (shower had AWESOME water pressure) and large mirrors (perfect for multiple ladies getting ready for a night out:). The dog friendly room was clean, didn't smell like a dog friendly room, and had comfortable accommodations. The manager Jeremy was very helpful, and even accommodated a last minute room change upon check in. Overall I would definitely recommend this hotel and would book it again if I needed to.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
CarmelLodgeGM, General Manager at Carmel Lodge, responded to this review, May 22, 2013
Dear Emily902,
Thank you so much! We appreciate kind reviews more than you can imagine. I'm thrilled that you, your mother and your four legged pal had a wonderful stay with us. Hopefully you'll be back to Carmel soon and will come stay with us again. Remember, summer is just around the corner and the weather is going to be superb! See you soon!
Victoria, Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 15, 2013

My wife and I stayed here for two nights recently. We reserved the room on-line, from another town. The policy apparently is 'no cancellations'. The room was $140 on the Thursday night and $180 on the Friday. The young lady at reception was very personable, but that's where any enjoyment of our stay ended. The room was on on the second floor. It was clean, but the complete decor surely was not changed since the 50's. Pink 4" tiles in the bathroom/shower. The grout was old and stained. Generally, everything was shabby. We asked for a change of room and were allocated one on the ground floor. This was slightly better, but again, very 50's and shabby. The bed was bumpy and not very comfortable at all. We would certainly not return to this place again. Upon speaking the the young lady at reception, she explained that the new owner had only acquires the hotel the week before, and intended to 'do a lot of work there'. They didn't say that on their web-site, on which the pictures were nothing like the reality of the place. Maybe the new owners should consider charging a LOT less for their accommodation until they've brought the place up to scratch. I consider the 'no cancellation' policy as just a trap. We couldn't get our money back once we'd seen the reality of the place. The inclusive breakfast was a joke. A few bagels, packets of cereal and juice/coffee. Nowhere to sit though, so we had to take it back to the unappealing room. I'd advise to call this place before booking. Ask if the renovations had started/finished. Then maybe the stay would be worth what we were charged. Be very careful here.

Room Tip: Can't recommend any of the rooms which we experienced.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
CarmelLodgeGM, General Manager at Carmel Lodge, responded to this review, May 20, 2013
Dear John_D,
Thank you for taking the time to write a review. I'm sorry that your time with us was not exceptional and that you had some concerns and issues. Unfortunately you were misinformed about our cancellation polcy. I am guessing that the reason for this is that you booked through a third party booking agent with their own cancellation policy that possibly superseded ours. Currently we allow cancellations up to 72 prior to your arrival, except for on major events. I am thinking that you did not express your disappointment to the front desk when you were here because I have asked them to please forward the guest to me so that I can handle any big issues that a guest is having so that I can attempt to rectify and cure the problem. I truly wish that you would have reached out to me when you were here so that I could have done something to make your stay amazing rather than disappointing. Again, I apologize and I hope that you will give us another try the next time you come visit Carmel.
831-624-1255

Been to Carmel Lodge? Share your experiences!