“Old and Well Kept & Restored” 4 of 5 stars

You added Carmel Lodge to your Saves list
3.0 of 5 Motel   |   San Carlos at 5th Avenue, Carmel, CA 93921-0951   |
Ranked #20 of 21 hotels in Carmel
Volusia County Fla.
“Old and Well Kept & Restored”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2013

The location is superb. Spacious very clean well appointed rooms. (we had 2) Adequate parking lot. Staff keeps great coffee made all day long in the lobby. We were there 4 nights and the property is more often than not very quiet and peaceful. The natives do get restless (noisy) when the restaurant to the south closes. The things that need improvement are; old tube type TV's & the breakfast food was low rate.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
CarmelLodgeGM, General Manager at Carmel Lodge, responded to this review, June 28, 2013
Dear FlaCracker,
I'm so happy that you had a nice stay with us and thank you for taking the time to write a nice review. Apologies for the occasional noise from the restaurant across the street, I will be sure to notify them and see if they can try to keep it down at closing time. Also, you're correct about the continental breakfast, it is a bit sparse and we are working on improving it. Once again, thank you for the lovely review and we look forward to seeing you soon!
831.624.1255

170 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
Belfast
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2013

We stayed at the Carmel Lodge for one night during a driving holiday through California and found it to be adequate for our purposes but would would not have been happy staying any longer.
We didn't find the lady on reception particularly pleasant.
The Lodge is well located within Carmel but then I think most of the accommodations are as it is quite a small town.
The Breakfast items provided at reception were basic but unexpected and appreciated.
The room was quite small and the furniture a bit over sized by comparison which would have been more of an issue had we been staying any longer than one night.
The Carmel lodge is essentially a motel and an adequate one at that but don't expect anything more.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
CarmelLodgeGM, General Manager at Carmel Lodge, responded to this review, June 6, 2013
Dear PabMac,
Thank you taking the time the write a review; we appreciate all feedback from our valued guests. I'm glad that your stay with us was fairly good and I completely understand your comments regarding the oversized furniture. Rest assured that we have recently changed ownership and the new owner is already taking steps to improve the entire property, inside and out. If you were to come back 6 months to a year I think that you would be amazed and impressed with the changes. My utmost apologies regarding the unfriendly lady at reception, I will be sure that everyone reads your review and understands that this is not acceptable. Thank you again for the review and I hope that you come back and see again soon.
Sacramento, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2013

My mother and I had an enjoyable stay here this past weekend. The room was large, with a large bathroom (shower had AWESOME water pressure) and large mirrors (perfect for multiple ladies getting ready for a night out:). The dog friendly room was clean, didn't smell like a dog friendly room, and had comfortable accommodations. The manager Jeremy was very helpful, and even accommodated a last minute room change upon check in. Overall I would definitely recommend this hotel and would book it again if I needed to.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
CarmelLodgeGM, General Manager at Carmel Lodge, responded to this review, May 22, 2013
Dear Emily902,
Thank you so much! We appreciate kind reviews more than you can imagine. I'm thrilled that you, your mother and your four legged pal had a wonderful stay with us. Hopefully you'll be back to Carmel soon and will come stay with us again. Remember, summer is just around the corner and the weather is going to be superb! See you soon!
Victoria, Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 15, 2013

My wife and I stayed here for two nights recently. We reserved the room on-line, from another town. The policy apparently is 'no cancellations'. The room was $140 on the Thursday night and $180 on the Friday. The young lady at reception was very personable, but that's where any enjoyment of our stay ended. The room was on on the second floor. It was clean, but the complete decor surely was not changed since the 50's. Pink 4" tiles in the bathroom/shower. The grout was old and stained. Generally, everything was shabby. We asked for a change of room and were allocated one on the ground floor. This was slightly better, but again, very 50's and shabby. The bed was bumpy and not very comfortable at all. We would certainly not return to this place again. Upon speaking the the young lady at reception, she explained that the new owner had only acquires the hotel the week before, and intended to 'do a lot of work there'. They didn't say that on their web-site, on which the pictures were nothing like the reality of the place. Maybe the new owners should consider charging a LOT less for their accommodation until they've brought the place up to scratch. I consider the 'no cancellation' policy as just a trap. We couldn't get our money back once we'd seen the reality of the place. The inclusive breakfast was a joke. A few bagels, packets of cereal and juice/coffee. Nowhere to sit though, so we had to take it back to the unappealing room. I'd advise to call this place before booking. Ask if the renovations had started/finished. Then maybe the stay would be worth what we were charged. Be very careful here.

Room Tip: Can't recommend any of the rooms which we experienced.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
CarmelLodgeGM, General Manager at Carmel Lodge, responded to this review, May 20, 2013
Dear John_D,
Thank you for taking the time to write a review. I'm sorry that your time with us was not exceptional and that you had some concerns and issues. Unfortunately you were misinformed about our cancellation polcy. I am guessing that the reason for this is that you booked through a third party booking agent with their own cancellation policy that possibly superseded ours. Currently we allow cancellations up to 72 prior to your arrival, except for on major events. I am thinking that you did not express your disappointment to the front desk when you were here because I have asked them to please forward the guest to me so that I can handle any big issues that a guest is having so that I can attempt to rectify and cure the problem. I truly wish that you would have reached out to me when you were here so that I could have done something to make your stay amazing rather than disappointing. Again, I apologize and I hope that you will give us another try the next time you come visit Carmel.
London
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2013 via mobile

We stayed for one night on our way down the west coast and booked as a last minute walk in. The room a little more expensive than other areas we'd stayed in, but we it that down to the location - Carmel is a very beautiful up market town. The room looked very dated - the TV was one of those old deep TVs from the 90s and you could only view it from straight in front of it as the doors on the TV cabinet only opened 90 degrees and blocked the view from the other bed and elsewhere in the room. We had a job trying to find electricity sockets that worked - the only two we could get to didn't work (which should have been obvious to staff as they'd plugged a lamp into one of them). However the beds were comfy and the room was clean. Breakfast was included, but was a big disappointment. There was a sign outside the hotel saying 'restaurant and cocktails' which gave the impression of somewhere to sit and eat, however the breakfast was just a few items on a table in reception with no seating area, so once we'd toasted out bagels we had to take them back to our room and sit on the bed to eat them. For such a beautiful town, this place was very disappointing.

Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
CarmelLodgeGM, General Manager at Carmel Lodge, responded to this review, April 23, 2013
Dear LondonFlipflops,
Thank you for taking the time to write a review. I'm sorry to hear that you were disappointed with your stay. We strive to make our guest's time with us pleasurable and relaxing. You are correct that the rooms are a bit outdated and we are working on getting all the rooms updated including the TV's. Regarding the outlets; a lot of our outlets are tied into a light switch therefore when the light switch is turned off there is no power to the outlets and when the switch is turned on the lamps go on. I am guessing that you did not inform the front desk or housekeeping of your issue because we would have been happy to come to your room to assist you. Again, my apologies for the inconvenience and I hope that next time you're in Carmel you give us another try.
Minneapolis, Minnesota
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2013

Stayed here one night after a day driving the PCH. Room was clean but loud (could hear every cough from neighboring room).

They say they're in the middle of a remodel, but there was no evidence of it. Place was pretty worn down. TV was in the most illogical location possible. Couldn't see it from the bed.

Asked front desk for food recommendations and she sent us to one of the worst dinners we've ever eaten (Flaherty's). Don't go there.

Not bad for the money, but would NEVER go there again.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
CarmelLodgeGM, General Manager at Carmel Lodge, responded to this review, April 2, 2013
Hi MikeNJackie,
Thank you for taking the time to write a review. Please accept my apologies for your less than perfect stay with us. I can guess which room you were in since there is only one that fits your description. I have been brainstorming those two rooms and the thin wall between them and attempting to figure out a solution. We have a couple options but something will definitely be done to cure that issue. You were misinformed about the remodel; we have yet to commence it but are currently getting geared up to start the upgrades. With regards to the restaurant suggestions; I'm sorry that it wasn't satisfactory and will make a note for the front desk to be more careful at what they recommend to guests. Thanks again and hopefully you will give another try the next time you visit Carmel.
Franklinton, Louisiana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2013

Stayed three nights at the Lodge and found the staff professional, friendly, knowledgable and helpful.
Room was attractive and nicely appointed. Very comfortable.
Would like coffee in the room and a working fireplace.

Room Tip: Room was on the street side pros: view of the street and sun coming into the room con: early morni...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
CarmelLodgeGM, General Manager at Carmel Lodge, responded to this review, March 25, 2013
Hi Nancy,
Thank you so much for the great review, it means a lot to us to hear such positive remarks. Regarding the in room coffee makers; we do have them in select rooms but I will make a point to look into putting them every room. We do have wonderful, fresh Carmel Valley Coffee Roasting Co. coffee in the lobby all day but I completely understand the need for the in room pots. Again, many thanks and we hope to see you soon.
831-624-1255

Been to Carmel Lodge? Share your experiences!