“A visit to Carmel” 3 of 5 stars

2.5 of 5 Inn   |   San Carlos St. at 4th, P.O. Box 4082, Carmel, CA 93921   |
Ranked #23 of 28 Carmel B&B and Inns
“A visit to Carmel”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2014

I was visiting Carmel with my daughter and we stayed at the Carmel Fireplace Inn. I had obtained a voucher from Living Social for our stay and I had called them ahead of time knowing that we were late arriving. They had left instructions for us and we had no problems finding our cottage, a block away from the office. They had left a bottle of vine and chocolates upon our arrival. The next morning I went to the office to give my voucher. The person behind the counter was very rude. There was no "Good Morning" or any pleasantries, just a request immediately for the voucher which I provided. She did not provide us with any information about Carmel and I had to ask for the map of the town I saw she had on her desk. Our checkout was equally non-pleasant. She just asked for the keys and checked again that she had the voucher and that was it. While I was waiting to check out, she was on the phone with another customer making reservations and she was equally rude to him. I did hear her exchange pleasantries with another person that checked out so I am not sure if it was the fact that I used a Living Social voucher for my stay. But, why advertise and make them available if you are going to be rude about them. The cottage itself was cute and clean but very average in terms of decor and flooring. It had three rooms, a kitchen area and a living room. It could have held 7 people. Each room had a TV. The kitchen area had a refrigerator, stove, dishes and a microwave. We never used any of them other than the refrigerator to chill our drinks. The outdoor deck was towards the sea and we enjoyed a nice break in the back reading and relaxing one afternoon between our outings. They never came and changed our towels or made the beds in the two days we were there. I thought that was odd. The breakfast was all carbs and wheat; bagels, muffins, and various quick breads. There was no yogurt or hard boiled eggs. I am gluten intolerant so I could only have coffee, fruit and juice. We actually ended up going to one of the local breakfast places to eat breakfast. There were several B&B places right around Carmel Fireplace Inn and I will likely check them out in the future if I go again. I want an overall pleasant experience when traveling.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (40)
Paris, France
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2014

I spent one night in room 29. The room was small and a little noisy, but charming, clean and well equiped. Staff was welcoming, breakfast and wifi included, and the hotel is well located... All this for 110$ all included, it's a bargain.

Room Tip: Room 29 has no fireplace... But is quite cheap.
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled solo
Cupertino, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 4, 2014

Pluses:
- Convenient location
- Free parking and wifi
- Everything in the room did work
Negatives:
- Noisy plumbing (get to hear other people's showers, etc)
- Breakfast: Costco bagels and muffins, coffee with half & half creamer (no milk available)- orange juice. No cereal, no yogurt- and no room. One toaster so you have to wait if you want to toast your bagel
- Would you believe no DVD player- only VCR (we had brought DVDs we wanted to watch)
- Bathroom and place in general looked run down
- People at the front desk were not gracious (had they been- would have overcome a lot of the negatives)

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Lompoc
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2014

We stayed for 2 nights. The place is clean, charming and comfortable. Located in downtown Carmel. We walked everywhere from our room. There was a nice deli around the corner where we could get nice cheese and snacks for our room. Very pleased. We used a Liviing Social coupon. No complaints whatsoever.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Cancun
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2014 via mobile

Have stayed here two times and what an enjoyable time. Love the Dutch doors! Clean and quaint and the breakfast room makes me feel like I am in Europe. Happy Hour is a nice extra ! The fireplace in the room was nice in the morning with the cool pacific air was hanging around. Talk about a friendly staff ready to help in any way, Kudos ! Guess where I am staying when I visit Carmel next time. The gardens surrounding the Inn were beautiful both when I visited in September and then again in March.

Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2014

Just returned from 2 night stay I had bought on Living Social for a good price. Room was small yet clean, the walls were thin-could hear the next room. We didn't eat "breakfast" but I saw what was offered and it was continental. It is pet friendly which so many places there are--we would only stay again if price was right.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
wilton, ca
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2014

I would like to have had the opportunity to review this property itself, but due to booking situation, never will. I purchased a L.S. deal on 1/21/14, for a 'Two night stay in a King Condo of Larger Family Style Unit, Fridays & Saturdays'. I researched available rooms (needed dog friendly, & traveling with another couple, so needed two BR). One room met our needs (Dolores I). After coordinating with our friends on dates, we found that the only weekend that would work was ONE DAY past the exp. date for the voucher. I called to make the reservation, and the clerk made a call to the mgr. regarding the situation. She promptly called me back & said the mgr. couldn't honor the voucher past the exp. date. Now, here's why I'm writing this... They have already sold over 400 Living Social deals so far, and will continue selling more for the next fifteen days! I didn't do the math, but I'm not sure how they will be able to accommodate all of those reservations. They are already relatively full for most weekends between now and May 15 (expiration date for L.S. vouchers). So, good luck there.
After all's said & done, I requested a refund from Living Social, so this property will be losing out on that 335.00, plus an extra 150.00, as we would have been paying for two extra adults@ 25.00 ea. per night, and one awesome dog @ 25.00/night. (Incidentally, the regular price for these extras, if you book directly through the property, are only 15.00 per night, each. Already a little gouging...).
There are 'a lot of fish in the sea', as far as lodging goes in Carmel. We will look elsewhere.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends