“Memorable Experience” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #26 of 30 Carmel B&B and Inns
Jackson, Tennessee
“Memorable Experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2013

I was on a vacation celebrating my birthday in CA and decided to stay my last night in Carmel before heading to San Francisco the next morning to catch a flight home. I thoroughly enjoyed the Fireplace Inn. The room was adorable. It was very clean and cozy. There was a fireplace with gas logs that gave a very nice ambiance. It is conveniently located within walking distance of all the main attractions and the beautiful beach.. The rates are reasonable and the staff is very friendly and helpful.If you are looking for a fun quaint place to stay this is it! I will be going back next time I am in California...

Room Tip: I stayed in the San Antonio room which is on the bottom floor, but from what I could tell all of the...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled solo

120 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
San Jose, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2013

The staff here was outstanding and made us feel very welcome. The lady that greeted us even showed us to our room. I was there with a friend and our two small dogs. The dogs got a welcome treat and a clean, ironed sheet to lay over the bed so that they could sleep on the bed (mine didn't). The room was the perfect size for us with two separate beds in two separate areas. We had some chairs to sit and chat in front of the fireplace and to enjoy our complimentary wine and chocolate (a Social Living deal - may not normally be included). We had in-room coffee, a little frig, and a microwave. The place is just quaint and homey. We really enjoyed our stay and would return again.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
San Francisco, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2013

We have just returned from 2 nights at Carmel Fire Place Inn. We (2 adults and 3 children) stayed in Dolores cottage #2. Before I booked I tried to find a review of the cottage but only found the hotel rooms reviewed.
We were very dissappointed with the cottage and would not recommend staying here. Firstly the fireplace is "plug - in" plastic screen type. Complete waste of space and rather ironic as the cottage states it has a fire place???? The cottage was clean but very old. There is a very small but functional kitchen. The big problem for a family is there is no kitchen table. I cooked a beautiful meal of chilli muscles and we all sat on the floor around a tiny coffee table to eat it! There is an outside area which was dirty and full of splinters and for us unusable due to the weather.
We paid almost $320 per night (not including taxes) for this shack. If we had paid $200 we would have been satisfied. Management did offer to upgrade us when I said how dissapointed we were and how missleading the advertising of the cottage was. The upgraded cottage was newer and bigger and had a proper fireplace but still no dining table. If we upgraded my teenagers would have had to share a double bed so they opted to stay in the smaller cottage.
The location was great for the beach and the town.

Room Tip: would not stay here
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Sacramento
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

We stayed at the Carmel Fireplace Inn in March, and thoroughly enjoyed our experience. The Inn is quaint, and bit funky, with pleasant rooms and wonderful staff. The Inn offers a very god continental breakfast, and an average port treat in the afternoon. The Inn is ideally located, and is within walking distance to every restaurant, store, and gallery you'll want to visit. Have a wonderful time in Carmel-By-The-Sea. We always do!

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a king size bed.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2013

Don't expect a typical B&B. That's not to say that it was bad it was just different. Carmel is charming but nothing is new, That's part of the charm. Even the chain names are the old style motels. With that in mind, this place is out of the fifties. The location is perfect for walking to the village area, just a few blocks. The room was very clean, adequate size. The bathroom in the queen/tub unit is very small and lacking in hooks to hang anything. The gas fireplace makes up for all the inadequacies.It was on everytime we were in the room! The grounds and gardens were just ok. The parking lot had fewer spaces than rooms but there is free parking on the side street. The breakfast room is nice but small. The breakfast had fresh muffins and breads with fruit and juice, no meat. I borrowed a VHS (yes I said VHS) for the VCR and we watched a movie one night. All in all it was a good stay. I didn't notice any other lodging that I thought looked any better than this!

Room Tip: The King rooms may be larger. They only have 4 rooms that have a tub/shower combo.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2013

This is listed as a Bed and Breakfast...well, the so called "breakfast" consists of store bought muffins cut in halves and also sliced to make it look like something different. There was a plate of sliced apples, orange slices, bagels and orange juice and coffee. I was VERY disappointed. There are several nice bakeries near by where they could get some good pastries . They could also get some kind of berry as well. There was nothing to even warm the muffins in.
There is not enough off street parking for the number of rooms and the parking stalls are extremely narrow...your passenger would need to exit the vehicle prior to parking.
The juniper room had a gas fireplace that had NO heat control, so you either baked or froze. The shower was very small and the shower head was mounted about chest level so I had to crouch down to wash my hair. Also, the shampoo and soap was about the cheapest they could find and the towels were very rough. I went here to spend my one year anniversary and told the establishment hoping for some kind of treat, but there was nothing, not even a mention of congratulations.
Needless to say, I most likely won't be staying here again.

• Stayed January 2013
Walnut Creek, California, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2013

We spent two nights and three days with Cody,( our Australian Shepherd/Border Collie mix) in Carmel, staying at the Carmel Fireplace Inn because they accept dogs. The cottage charm in this bed and breakfast lodge was in keeping with Carmel. It was perfect. The room was large and had a fireplace and a full bath. We were on an end unit with lots of white shuttered windows that opened up to a full garden with a riot of colored flowers and shrubs that gave us seclusion. The wainscoting on the walls was a 50's accent but made the room more quaint.
The tub was very small so after one bath, I took showers. Plenty of towels. The innkeepers are friendly and helpful.

Room Tip: Ask for a corner unit or just explain what you need. They are dog friendly for a limited amount of r...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Carmel Fireplace Inn? Share your experiences!