“Peace and Serenity” 5 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #4 of 29 Activities in Carmel
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Owner description: Refuge is the first American facility dedicated to Hydro-thermal therapy and offers the ultimate in relaxation that is one of a kind! Truly the best 3 hours in Carmel! Through heating up in our Co-ed Sauna and Steam bath, cooling down in our cold pools and relaxation in indoor relaxation rooms or outdoor areas with fireplaces - you will be relaxed! Massages are available as well!
Central Coast California
“Peace and Serenity”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2012

We visited Refuge on Thanksgiving Day this year and it was more than we expected. After experiencing the loss of my son last year, any holidays send me into a "tail spin". I was looking for a peaceful place and that is just what I found. Don't expect the traditional spa as their are NO facials, pedicures etc. They do, however offer 50 minute massage at an extremely reasonable price. Before going in, the hostess explained that this more a place of meditation than a "foo, foo" spa. Silence.......that is what we were greeted with. Everyone moves about quietly and carefully not to disturb anyone else. It is just what I needed on this family holiday when a member of my family is gone forever. We will go back for Christmas. After relaxing as long as you want, the dressing rooms are equiped with showers, shampoo, hair conditioner and body wash. The vanity bar has body lotion and blow dryers. They even give you a lock for your own locker. A spin dryer for your swimsuit was great as were the plastic bags for your wet attire. One money saving tip, take your own robe, but be sure it is white or off white otherwise it is necessary to rent one of theirs. Towels are provided. The entire facility is spotless. I hope you too will find peace and serenity there as well.

Mill Valley, California
“The Perfect "Black Friday"”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 24, 2012

Why would you spend any time fighting the crowds, shopping, or doing anything else when you could be at Refuge? I spent about 3 hours at Refuge (3 cycles and a shower) and left feeling relaxed + refreshed, my aching back felt great, my skin felt softer, the sky even looked bluer. The facilities are impeccable + the staff (especially Eleanor) was great. This is part of the Carmel Valley Athletic Club, which wasn't clear from the website, and really doesn't make a difference except that I was a little confused when we first turned into the parking lot. If you're in Carmel to relax, do not miss Refuge!

San Jose
“Refuge is an amazing find”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 22, 2012

Carmel is now an annual get-a-way, thanks to an amazing sanctuary like Refuge. There is no place like it that we know of anywhere. We'd like to keep this spot to ourselves, however, our experiences there have been exceptional and we can't help but tell everyone we know. Thus, my first review on TripAdvisor: Relaxing, Restorative, Refreshing and Invigorating. A Unique experience not to be missed.

San Francisco, California
“Unique experience!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2012

My wife and I visited The Refuge as part of a health & wellness retreat, and were immediately introduced into another world...one of complete serenity of mind and body. We were there after sunset which makes it even more spiritual. The place is perfectly designed for the experience it offers, down to every detail. The cold pools were a highlight, and made it unique. The staff was helpful yet non-intrusive, adding to the enjoyment. A great place to relax and let the stresses of life evaporate.

UK
4 attraction reviews
“A gorgeous relaxing place”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2012

My husband and I spent the evening at Refuge during our trip on Hwy 1. We got there just before sunset and found ourselves being the only guests (at first). The staff were friendly and helpful and explained the cycle of heating the body before cooling down. The place is beautiful with several fire pits and quiet places to sit.
We managed four cycles of heating up and cooling down before relaxing in the jacuzzi pools under the night sky.
We would definitely recommend a visit!

Visited October 2012