“Fine for the $$” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Carmel Resort Inn

Save Saved
You added Carmel Resort Inn to your Saves list
Carmel Resort Inn
2.0 of 5 Bed and Breakfast   |   Carpenter Avenue between First & Second, Carmel, CA 93921   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #28 of 30 Carmel B&B and Inns
Nevada City, California
“Fine for the $$”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2013

The price was right, $65/night in Jan. Reserved online but there was a 10% tax added later. good size room for 2. There are NO fireplaces but this city won't allow using on anyway. It is actually an electric fake fireplace insert in the old fireplace. Tacky fake logs on fire and flames. The room was clean and comfortable but could use more, brighter lighting. Fridge, microwave, coffe maker are provided but they were all plugged into a power strip(illegal I think) and the heater was plugged into the same receptacle so the breaker tripped before coffe was done ! Don't run all that at the same time. The tv wall receptacle had no cover plate and when I disconnected the tv to plug in a computer there were sparks in the wall ! Hot water was available quickly but adjustment of the shower was funky. They ask you to conserve water (a shortage on the central coast) and the shower head did a good job of that but the flow screamed out of the bathtub faucet. Odd. There is a hot tub which is in a plain, minimal room but we had it to ourselves. This area is relatively quiet. There is a little traffic you can hear around 7:30 am but it wasn't bad. When the adjacent neighbor turned on the bath at 6:30 am or earlier, it was a rude awakening, very loud. There was a tv and the programming was typical garbage. Good internet speed. There was an annoying flashing light in the bathroom which is noticable when the lights are out. Just close the door. I think it works as a nightlight. No soda in the machine. The breakfast was orange, banana, V8, Kern's nectar, muffin, croissant and water. Don't burn the croissant in the microwave ! We brought our own Petes coffee and you will need to bring some flat bottom, small filters. Or you can drink their coffe which was tolerable. Bring half and half as they just provide powder. Scotch makes it more ennoyable. This is within walking distance to the stores and restaurants but it takes about 15-20 minutes. The brutal truth, it was cozy and clean and the price was so right.

Room Tip: Ask for a room not on Carpenter St for a little less traffic which wan't actually all that bad.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple

109 people have reviewed this hotel

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
Fremont, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2013

This place was adequate in my opinion.The good: Continental breakfast in a basket to your door if you quick to get it. Pretty standard continental breakfast, but was good. The location was nice. The cottage idea is cool and not dirty. Flat screen TV if you only like 5 channels anyway. The"fireplace" electric heater (the only heat source). The dog friendliness is great.

A brochure says to expect certain things as part of the charm of Carmel like no running hot water, or if other things don't work. Riiiigt. Luckily the water worked, though it tasted like cherries. The listing online implied we were getting a private cottage when we made a reservation, but it ended up being a shared building with two rooms. There are many private cottages, so not everyone will have this problem. The bed was comfy, but the "queen" seemed about the size of a full. The front answered the phone 1 out of 3 times. The hot tub had someones press-on finger nails/band-aid in it.

This place could be improved if there was a little more attention to detail. Like accurate descriptions in their listings. Answering the phone. Checking on the hot tub more than once a day. And not leaving sheds open and cleaning/landscaping equipment everywhere all the time. Kinda kills the charm guys.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Cairo, Egypt
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 14, 2012

We stopped here for one night driving from San Francisco to Santa Barbara and thought it would be a good place to spend the night. We opted for Carmel because of its proximity to Big Sur, but in retrospect I would recommend you stay at Monterey which is a 10 min drive away.

We arrived at night and it was pitch dark. The huts are amidst many trees so it was a bit creepy to come in down a small lane in the dark. Although we were in May, it was extremely cold and in addition to the heater in the hut we had to ask for an additional heater. The bathroom was freezing.

The huts are quaint, you park right outside the door, and walk into a little foyer before waling into the bedroom. The huts could do with some renovation and cleaning. I did not feel the bedding was very clean because of how old it was.

It looked much better in the morning though - perhaps if we had arrived by morning it would not have felt as creepy.

Breakfast was cute in a little basket, but it was not excpetional. Yoghurt, fruit, juice and pastries.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Laguna Beach, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2012

My wife and I stayed two nights at Carmel Resort Inn on May 2nd and 3rd. We also brought with us friends who occupied another room for two nights.

Twenty minutes after leaving, already on the road to Sacramento, my wife realized that she had left her blue silk scarf, a gift of her late mother, hanging on the closet of the room where we stayed.

We immediately called the hotel and talked with the clerk of the front desk. He promised to look for the scarf. On our second call, he acknowledged the maid had found the scarf so we asked him if it would be possible for him to mail the scarf to our address in Laguna Beach, CA. charging the expenses to my credit card. He said yes, so we proceeded the trip, as we were going to Lake Tahoe, a long drive ahead of us that day, and it was too late to turn around.

Twenty days later, when we arrived home, we were surprised to notice that the scarf hadn’t arrived. We called the hotel again, and the front desk, this time a lady called Ana, promised to send the scarf to us.

From May through October 2012, when I'm writing this review we haven't any sign that our request has been looked after.

It is very disappointing to realize that after so many calls (five or six) and so many promises, nothing was done to satisfy a customer. It looks like dishonesty. We wouldn’t have asked such a favor if it were not for sentimental reasons, as the scarf has almost no material value.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
San Diego, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2012

I really enjoyed our stay at this property. The cottages are quaint and the walls are thin, but it was a wonderful experience with a VERY pleasant staff. They have dog-friendly cottages available and also provide a small patch of grass in a park-like setting for the pet relief area. I would definitely recommend staying here with your pooch!
They also deliver a nice little continental breakfast in a basket to your door in the morning. My pup and I needed to check out as early as possible the morning we left and they made sure our breakfast was delivered first so that we didn't miss out. It was a much appreciated effort and that extra bit of service missing from so many places these days. I hope to return to Cambria again someday. If I do, I'll definitely stay here again. Thank you for a wonderful experience!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
Londrina, PR
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2012

The hotel is OK, the rooms are very big - if you are travelling with a big family, it will be good for you. It´s clean. Not so near the city, you´ll have to have a car. BUT DON´T FORGET ANY PERSONAL BELONGINGS THERE. I´ll tell you why I´m so upset with the service. My daughter forgot a pair of shoes there , but we only noticed that 2 days after leaving the hotel. Since we were in San Francisco, I asked the concierge to check it for me. After calling them for 2 days, they found the shoes. At that time, I was in my way back to Brazil, I called them and asked them to send it to a friends’ house in Florida. They asked for my credit card number to send it, BUT THEY DIDN´T. I sent them a lot of e-mails and they still didn´t answered me. Yesterday I called them AGAIN from Brazil, gave my credit card number AGAIN and also sent them another e-mail asking them to PLEASE ANSWER ME. Until now, no answer. So I decided to write this review.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Fresno, Ca
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012 via mobile

We needed a room in Carmel for a family reunion. This is a property near downtown Carmel that consists of multiple one-room cottages. It's a great location and charming idea, however poorly executed. Our bed was clean and comfortable, the bathroom was clean enough except for the disgusting shower which was stained and filthy with soap residue. The cottages are heated with fireplaces, but we were unable to find how to turn the thing on and FROZE our tails off all night. There was no staff on duty at night to call once we realized the issue. They did deliver a nice breakfast basket of yogurt, fruit & muffins in the morning. This could be a fantastic set-up with a little TLC.

• Stayed October 2012

Been to Carmel Resort Inn? Share your experiences!