“Food is a little disappointing” 3 of 5 stars

Cuisines: American, Seafood, Contemporary, Californian
Good for: Outdoor seating
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Carmel Valley Rd.
California
“Food is a little disappointing”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2013

Its been a few years since I've been here (when it used to be owned by previous owner - Bahama Billy's). The service was good, but a little slow. The food was a little disappointing. First of all, to be called a steakhouse, you need to be able to judge what the temperature is...when I ordered "medium", its not acceptable to bring out a steak that is "well-done". Also, we noticed that some of the plates were hot while others were cool or warm, implying some of the dishes were sitting on the counter or heating lamp for a while (we are a party of 4). Unfortunately, the food tastes that way (ie ? microwaved). The flavors were quite good, but just need more attention to details. The wait staff is good but excruciatingly slow. They seemed to be a little overwhelmed...maybe because they were short-staffed that particular day?

• Visited June 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food

San Francisco, California
“Poor Food Prep”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2013

The calamari was over cooked, the "T Bone" Tuesday special was not at all special, my wife's dinner was "microwaved" to the point of being overcooked. Service was good, but food was not. The latter is fixable with a good chef.

Visited April 2013
Monterey, CA
“Liked it!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2013

The locals often still call it Bahama Billy's, and this was my first trip there since the official name change.

My companion and I arrived at about 4:30 pm which is not either lunch or dinner. They were willing to serve us either, and the bar flies were beginning to find their regular perch.

The decor is not too "in your face" kitchy Island paradise. Clever touches like the map painted on the wall, fake palm built with grass and bamboos, they sound like they would be a bit much, but they are not. They do light up the fire on the patio, so bring your pooch. And bring your human buddies, too.

The menu is REALLY well priced for Carmel (yes, it is in a well-executed mall and away from the madding crowd of Ocean Ave.) The entrees go for $20-30, and if you want just a light meal like we did, you can choose from the appetizers and salads.

We had the Calypso garlic bread. My companion practically dragged me there just for that. And we ordered a wedge salad (and I declined the bacon on it. The menu says pancetta but the server notified us that it was bacon; good honest servers do exist) and the soup of the day which was chicken tortilla soup. They do have the house special mango lobster soup that sounded just great (except I don't generally eat shellfish but would love to have a taste at some point.)

I'm reverse engineering and stealing the garlic bread recipe. Enough said.

I liked the crumbled bleu and dressing on the crispy iceburg wedge. If anything, it needed more garlic bread!!

We had left someone home and made a few calls back and forth about getting some food home. The server was ever so patient with two women (which means more work and less sale in most) trying to figure out what to take home to a guy with gluten intolerance.

We settled on sweet potato fries and beef teriyaki. The fried were so yummy I had to swipe a few. Beef teriyaki (I am the official family taster, by the way:) ) was well seasoned and cooked. If I had to really nitpick for the sake of nitpicking, I would say the meat was a bit more done than medium that was specified. But then to be fair I have to say, one, the meat was marinated skirt steak which is less tender and a very lean cut and does cook faster, two, thinly sliced as skirt steaks usually are, they usually go either rare or well done. I have to say they did the food well.

If you would rather have BBQ, they offer St Louis ribs either as dinner or appetizer. They offer coconut shrimp and ahi if you are into seafood. I consider the menu well rounded especially for a steakhouse. It is not like Palms, Spencer's, or other steakhouses that are single-mindedly steaks and seafood.

I must go back for a real and proper dinner culminating to a dessert. That is a promise.

• Visited March 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Coquille, Oregon
“Excellent dinner”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2013

I chose this place because of the pet friendly patio option, but was extremely pleased with my halibut dinner. I would definitely go back if/when I was in the area again.

Visited January 2013
Elk Grove, CA
“Surprised!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2012

Ok, we were surprised by the name, the food and the prices. We expected a steakhouse and it wasn't quite. We expected an expensive meal and it wasn't. One thing you have to order is the Calypso Garlic Bread, it's VERY, VERY good! Hawaiian “Style” Pulled Pork Rice Bowl: the pork tender and moist. The kids order Teriyaki Skirt Steak Rice Bowls: the flavor was good, but the meat was a little tough, especially on my daughter who has braces. Chipotle Chicken Pasta was excellent. There was just enough "heat" in the aftertaste to make it a great dish. Especially for those who can't handle "hot and spicy" dishes. The sauce was just wonderful! Would definitely visit this restaurant again.

• Visited December 2012