“Yum!” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #30 of 152 Restaurants in Carmel
Cuisines: Italian, Mediterranean
Good for: Romance, Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations, Late Night
Description: When it comes to full-flavor California-Mediterranean cuisine, just one restaurant comes to mind: Bistro Giovanni, a signature Firok Shield restaurant with exceptional food, gorgeous murals adorning the walls, and unpretentious service.
california
“Yum!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2013

Loved this little out of the way place. Not on Ocean, but only a block and half and a quieter street. Great Italian selections with something for everyone to choose from. We had the chicken cacciatore and the shrimp with risotto and mushrooms. The mushroom soup that came first was delicious and we wanted dessert but just couldn't find the room!

Visited July 2013

Portland
“Why did we wait so long to eat here?”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2013

We came with a group of 5 because of the menu, and will come again and again because of the wonderful food and service. We overlooked this place for over 35 years of coming to Carmel, but won't overlook it anymore. My prawns in curry sauce with mushroom risotto was fabulous, and the pasta carbonara eaten by my friend was equally wonderful. Great house wine, and it is cozy and friendly.
I accidentally rated their sister restaurant "da Giovanni" in Trip Advisor. Sorry, it was an honest mistake. But it is probably very good also.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Moreno Valley, California
“Cozy Bistro”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2013

Well, after reading the other reviews of Bistro Giovanni, I'm wondering why our experience wasn't as awesome as it could have been. The nice thing about this place is that it was within easy walking distance from our hotel. The atmosphere is very cozy and quaint. We found our service to be slow (it wasn't even busy at the time of our visit) and the food was a bit on the bland side. My mom ordered the halibut special and she did not like ti at all. My pasta carbonara was just so-so, and my husband's chicken dish was so-so as well. It was supposed to be spicy (according to the menu description) but it wasn't. All in all, it was just average.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Waterford, Ireland
“Best restaurant experience of our Carmel trip.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2013

We had a wonderful meal in this restaurant on our vacation in Carmel. Having eaten in many restaurants in Carmel, I can honestly say that this was our best dining experience here! I was hoping for a very good meal as it was my husbands 50th birthday, and I wasn't disappointed. We called in and asked for our table to be held for half an hour as we wanted to get a drink right across the road in the famous ' Hogs Breath Inn'. This was not a problem for our fantastic host Dia. Our meal was so delicious, service was second to none and on mentioning that it was my husbands birthday , he was presented with some delicious cake with a candle and both he and I got complimentary sweet wine. Our three kids were given little glasses of fruit juice so we could toast my husband! I can recommend this gem of a restaurant wholeheartedly and Dia and the other staff members can take a bow. :)

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Brea
“Great Service”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2013

In a city full of great restaurants - this is clearly one of the best. Great salads, chicken Cacciatore, seafood, pasta, The service was excellent - Dia is one of the best servers ever. We will always eat here from now on.

• Visited June 2013