“Great Pastries and sandwiches” 4 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #44 of 151 Restaurants in Carmel
Cuisines: Bakery, Coffee Shop, Delicatessen, Dessert
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Lunch
Description: Café Carmel is European style coffee house offers breakfast sandwiches and an assortment of deli products, cheeses , antipasti, soup and salads, fresh baked pastries, ice cream, smoothies, and milk shakes. We cater, too.
Auckland
“Great Pastries and sandwiches”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2012

Brilliant pastries and sandwiches, on the downside their coffee is made by an automatic machine hence no 5 stars for them. Try their tarts and the sandwich with soup combo it is brilliant and filling. Awesome in house made pesto, their owner is passionate about everything and all products are made on site, few shops if any will be able to beat this quality in Carmel.

Visited November 2011

72% Recommend
Danville, California
“Disappointed”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2012

Their coffee comes out of some machine and isn't very good. Their cannoli was full of orange peel and I had to toss it. I'd look elsewhere for coffee or baked goods. Don't get suckered in by the window!

Visited September 2012
Desert Hot Springs, California
“Service. What service?”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2012

We'd stopped in for a light supper of quiche and soup. My asparagus and ham quiche was not particularly good. My partner's looked a little better. The pastries we'd ordered to take with us definitely looked better than they tasted. The pastry on my eclaire made it seem like biting into a log. I tossed it. Who needs that many tasteless calories.

We found the service to be unprofessional and basically pretty unfriendly. We asked to be able to have our soup first, then have the quiche afterwards. I guess that was too much of a challenge for them. The woman preparing the quiche looked very annoyed when we requested that and didn't bother to accommodate us.

• Visited August 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Marin County, CA
“good pastries, crummy service”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2012

stopped by for morning pastries and ordered 4 to go. The woman waiting on us (I assume she was the owner or manager, as she was training a young woman) was so pre-occupied with attending to training a new employee and making sure she charged and rang us up correctly that SHE didn't put our correct order into our bag and shorted us a pastry. When I called once we returned to our kitchen, I did not get an apology, but a request to "bring in our receipt" so the the missing pastry could be claimed. No apology when we did so either...
There are not a lot of places to grab morning pastries in downtown Carmel, and they were tasty, so we returned there the next morning and I had to remind the same woman to not short us on the same blasted pastry! Are they hoping you don't notice or won't call them on it, or just not customer focused? It is a shame that Carmel doesn't have a good morning bakery (or that I didn't find out about it!).

Visited August 2012
Santa Barbara, California
“John's personality is even better than the pastries”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2012

We stumbled into a cute little coffee house on Ocean Avenue in Carmel and were treated to much more than delicious pastries. The owner, John, was pure entertainment. We went back twice in four days and it was fabulous both times. It's a "don't miss" if you're going to be in Carmel.

• Visited July 2012