“Good but not great” 3 of 5 stars

Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Basil is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #25 of 151 Restaurants in Carmel
Cuisines: Californian
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Dinner, Reservations, Late Night
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Ocean & 7th
“Good but not great”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2013 via mobile

We were 2 couples dining at Basil. On the positive side. Our waitress was a joy. She was fun, knowledgeable, and attentive. The food on the other hand was average and the menu somewhat limited. I had a burratta and tomato salad that was marginal. I had short ribs for my main course that was good. The other couple had ravioli that he said was just ok and his wife had 2 appetizers. Because of the average food and limited menu, we won't return to Basil, especially with all of the restaurants in the area.

Visited August 2013

Carmel, California
“Not going back”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2013

We went there for an anniversary lunch and left very dissatisfied. The weather was gorgeous so we sat outside, waited patiently for 10 minutes to be first greeted by the server, another 10 minutes for her to come back, add another 10 for bread ( we had to ask for it). The red sauce was bitter, the salad rather limp and the lamb kabob/burger left much to the imagination.

Maybe they had an off day, but we are not going back!

• Visited March 2013
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Middletown, Connecticut
“Excellent, fresh, local”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2013

Have eaten here twice on vacations to California. Creative menu with delicious food, excellent service and location. Outside seating available. If you are in Carmel, Basil is a sure bet!

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Pacific Grove, California
“excellent service and interesting menu”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2013

Six of us went for a Friday night dinner and had a great time. Food was very good - the morel mushrooms were a delicious treat. We also shared the meatballs for an appetizer which were excellent. The ahi was perfect. Presentation was very appealing. The service was excellent. The restaurant is very small, but cozy. Looking forward to going back.

• 4 of 5 stars Food
California
“Basil in Carmel CA”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2013

We stopped at Basil for lunch once we got into town for our two night stay. We sat outside, the inside was a bit cramped. Our table was wobbly on the outdoor patio. We were given menus and were ready to order our drinks but the server walked away. Once we did get out me drinks we were told the specials for the day. One of them was corn chowder. I asked if it was vegetarian and after a slight hesitation, the server said yes it is. The soup came out after a bit and I began eating it. It was full of chicken. When I pointed this out to the server, he said "no, it is vegetarian, I asked the cook!" I showed him the chicken and he came back a few minutes later and apologized, saying that he specifically asked the chef if it was veggie and was told yes. He offered to bring me another appetizer.
Once I got the bill I thought for sure he would have removed the corn soup and not charged me for the new appetizer but this did not happen.
When he greeted the table next to us I heard him describe the soup of the day as "chicken corn chowder". Being a vegetarian for more than 15 years I always ask specific questions and this is the first time this has happened to me. Servers need to know exactly what they are offering and what they are serving.

• 3 of 5 stars Food