“Basil in Carmel CA” 3 of 5 stars

Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Basil is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #30 of 150 Restaurants in Carmel
Cross street: Ocean & 7th
California
“Basil in Carmel CA”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2013 via mobile

We stopped at Basil for lunch once we got into town for our two night stay. We sat outside, the inside was a bit cramped. Our table was wobbly on the outdoor patio. We were given menus and were ready to order our drinks but the server walked away. Once we did get out me drinks we were told the specials for the day. One of them was corn chowder. I asked if it was vegetarian and after a slight hesitation, the server said yes it is. The soup came out after a bit and I began eating it. It was full of chicken. When I pointed this out to the server, he said "no, it is vegetarian, I asked the cook!" I showed him the chicken and he came back a few minutes later and apologized, saying that he specifically asked the chef if it was veggie and was told yes. He offered to bring me another appetizer.
Once I got the bill I thought for sure he would have removed the corn soup and not charged me for the new appetizer but this did not happen.
When he greeted the table next to us I heard him describe the soup of the day as "chicken corn chowder". Being a vegetarian for more than 15 years I always ask specific questions and this is the first time this has happened to me. Servers need to know exactly what they are offering and what they are serving.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food

Washington DC
“Food is OK, but poor service and seating”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2013 via mobile

The food is tasty - as others have said - but not amazing by any stretch. We were recommended this place on our last night here, but so disappointing - and we are really not the types to grumble like this. Chef was really nice, we saw him because he had to come out and help the overworked waitresses! But it's simply not OK to wait an hour for expensive food served in small portions. And the seating arrangement is terrible - if you are a couple, you may be just inches from the next table; this will probably not be intimate dining. After eating here, we had to find somewhere else to eat dessert... So many better places in Carmel.

• 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
reno, nv
“yummy Calamari”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2013

Stopped in for a late afternoon cocktail and ordered the calamari.
It was so good. Just perfect for a bit of nosh.
We went back for dinner a couple of days later and had the short ribs. Great sauce.

Visited July 2013
Atlanta, Georgia
“Cozy spot”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2013 via mobile

Stumbled across this little gem on oir first night in Carmel. Very small place with some outdoor seating. Everything we ate was incredibly fresh and tasty. Prices were very good.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
“Fantastic! Favorite place in Carmel!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2013

We were very pleasantly surprised with this great find in Carmel! Very good food and great service. Definitely a must visit!

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere