“Pretty good just don't get the polenta!” 3 of 5 stars

Cuisines: American
Good for: Families with children, Local cuisine, Dining on a budget
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Lunch
Monterey, California
“Pretty good just don't get the polenta!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2012

The poached eggs with bacon and the green eggs with ham were great; light and the bread was delicious. But we did not like the polenta at all. It was the most tasteless thing I have ever had. We only ordered the polenta after the waitress said it was one of the most popular dishes but we were disappointed. And the coffee was way too weak. We stopped at a coffee shop afterwards to wake up!

• Visited April 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food

Seattle
“Grab A Quick Bite”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2012

This cozy spot serves up tasty cafe offerings and has a friendly staff. A great place to have an easy and laid back breakfast or lunch.

Visited January 2012
Baltimore, Maryland
“Relaxed cafe withlots of local items on the menu”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2012

A great little cafe, all the rave amongst area natives. Lots of dishes to choose from, mostly sandwiches, soups, or salads. There is also a breakfast menu. Pastries and desserts are up at the counter; water (with mint leaves) is free--just ask for a glass. Friendly and helpful staff, although the ginger beer wasn't spicy... at all... when I was told it was the spiciest around. Just a personal thing, of course. Some things seemed a bit expensive for what you get, but the food is still very good. The eating area is well-maintained and is surrounded by cute shops, which makes for nice scenery while eating. A great place for lunch or a mid-afternoon snack.

• Visited March 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Redwood City, California
“Something besides pancakes & bacon”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2012

I went to Carmel to meet up with friends for dinner and celebrate my new job. My friends told me about this great little hidden gem where they go for breakfast called Carmel Belle. There are some bistro tables outside on the San Carlos entrance, but I came in thru the entrance by A.W. Shucks and past the sock shop, the hat store and the Turkish decor shop. It's reminiscent of a European cafe. My friend's husband is from Paris, so he ought to know ;)

I got there early and had 2 cups of tea before my friends let me know they would be there closer to lunch and so I ordered my breakfast. I got the two poached eggs on toast with asparagus, grilled tomato and truffled mushrooms. It was delicious and refreshing! Filling but not heavy. I ended up meeting back up with my friends there for lunch and had the grilled chicken salad with avocado. The next morning, I had the steel cut oatmeal with currants and candied walnuts. Hearty, but not heavy. I didn't have the charcuterie because of dietary restrictions, but I saw others order it and it looked wonderful.

A couple of things that stood out to me were the agave nectar sweetener at the condiment counter which I used in my tea and oatmeal (instead of brown sugar), the pet friendly section (with hooks on the table's side to attach your dogs leash) and the awesome organic ginger molasses cookies of which I had two! Also, the young lady named Ariel (I think) was friendly and helpful, but moved with focus, efficiency and precision clearing tables in between answering questions and customer requests. With the constant ebb and flow of customers, her efforts helped to ensure that no one had to wait for a table to be cleared for them. I'm sure on particularly crowded weekends that may happen, but I don't think I saw it on either of the days I was there. That girl deserves a raise, so tip her big!

I am certain that I will go back there for any excuse: breakfast, brunch, lunch, dessert (cookies, pastries, etc). You should, too :)

• Visited January 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Austin, Texas
“Excellent food and service”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 1, 2012

I loved this little place! I had the hearts of palm, avocado & arugula salad topped with roasted chicken - EXCELLENT! Very friendly and accommodating staff as well. The cafe sits in the open closely surrounded by shops, therefore doesn't provide much atmosphere. If your looking for a great casual and quick meal, this is it!

• Visited January 2012